Whats after reflections

jerseyduke

Home is just where you stay when not at WDW
Just wondering what might be further down the line, and what people think. It's fun speculation. 'Good' locations are starting to run thin.

Tearing down the Contemporary convention center and building a new near-MK tower.
I have always wondered about the convention business at Disney. Obviously sure its profitable, but to have space for it at Contemporary and Grand Floridian seems to me like a misuse of very valuable real estate

The area was the Persian was supposed to go is basically already cleared and ready to go!

When they run out of resort locations, they'll begin adding at the theme parks. With the way people go nuts for walking to parks, having a DVC where you walk out the door and you're in the theme park would be a license to print money. That's my wild guess anyway!

The only issue, I could see, with building another tower in the MK area, especially between Poly and CR is that the utilities/amenities in that area are already fairly stressed. Tearing the convention center would add net positive rooms with water and sewer in that area already an issue, in some of the long term plans as being highlighted as needing updates if I recall correctly. The biggest issue could be is that the monorail is already running at capacity a lot of the time with quite the backup thus adding more park centric guests would stress the already stressed system.

My best guess is another Epcot resort north of BCV with access to the front of Epcot. Though I personally don't like that placement as it very isolated, more than a lot of resorts, and transportation would be weird. I would also say serious landscaping and earthscaping would need to occur to make it look nice unless they tie it directly into FW, similar to GCH and DCA. Plus doing two MK resorts back to back would hurt Reflection sales considering there is likely to be a significant amount of overlap. There is also a lot of land around AK I wonder if something could be directly tied into it.

The space between the T&TC and the CR was found to not be able to support the Persian resort. So the plans were dropped. So I don't think anything will go in there unless it's just 1 or 2 stories high.

The space between the T&TC and the CR was found to not be able to support the Persian resort. So the plans were dropped. So I don't think anything will go in there unless it's just 1 or 2 stories high.
That was the Venetian Resort later turned into Greek Resort. The Persian Resort was to be north of CR on Bay Lake and with it's own Monorail spur that would have gone through Tomorrowland.

There was a rumor of a resort outside the Epcot gates, behind Living Seas.

Do you know if that is true for the original area for the Asian resort as well (north of GF, west of MK)

When they run out of resort locations, they'll begin adding at the theme parks. With the way people go nuts for walking to parks, having a DVC where you walk out the door and you're in the theme park would be a license to print money. That's my wild guess anyway!

Yeah, I mean Future World at Epcot is available for development as well, it's just a bunch of old empty buildings, just turn that into a DVC. They could probably sell it for $300 a point :teeth:

That was the Venetian Resort later turned into Greek Resort. The Persian Resort was to be north of CR on Bay Lake and with it's own Monorail spur that would have gone through Tomorrowland.
To my knowlege there was the Persian, Venetian and Asian in the original WDW plans (I always recommend the book RealityLand)

Do you know if that is true for the original area for the Asian resort as well (north of GF, west of MK)
The Asian Resort was pretty much supposed to be right on top of the GF, the GF is considered the replacement for that resort.

Neither of those 2 will ever happen as the land is still to weak to support a resort, and north of the CR is now full of other Disney buildings. Not sure why they haven't done anything along the EPCOT monorail line. There are several miles of open land that could be another Monorail resort.

To my knowlege there was the Persian, Venetian and Asian in the original WDW plans (I always recommend the book RealityLand)
Correct the Persian was to be North of the CR on Bay Lake, off the spur of the monorail line that goes to the storage yard. The Venetian was to be between TTC and CR and later was later redesigned imagined as a Greek Hotel as a true 5 star hotel (this is when it was found the land couldn't support a hotel), and the Asian was supposed to go directly where the GF is placed. The Venetian, Asian, and Persian all pretty much were scraped do to the gas crisis and the Persian one was rumored to have been cancelled out of fear American's wouldn't stay at a Persian themed hotel post Iran hostage situation.

I think we are at the point that a 5th gate has to be on the horizon. In which case they will make sure it is built with room to accommodate at LEAST 2 dvc resorts nearby.

I think they will look at reviving a second DVC at Disneyland.
The problem here is Anaheim limits them to what they can have in terms of Timeshare units. I think in total it is something like 150 bookable rooms so VGC is 69 of those 150 they could have. Technically speaking the entire new wing of the GCH that the DVC could easily be converted would be my guess. But with only 81 rooms they could do at DLR it's probably fairly low because of the money they could get back and the hotels already are running near capacity so no reason to do a conversion anytime soon.

I have always wondered about the convention business at Disney. Obviously sure its profitable, but to have space for it at Contemporary and Grand Floridian seems to me like a misuse of very valuable real estate
The Majors are typically put at Boardwalk these days. Swan-Dolphin also has space and soemtimes coordinate with Disney for the Really Big Ones, like Gartner. Theere are also meeting rooms over in that sector for maller stuff -- there is a lot of CME that gets done over there.

The space at Coronado was just upgraded for the mid-tier events.

spaces at places like grand Flo are for smaller meetings.

The contemporary hasn't really been updated and is mostly overflow thee days, or for conventions bigger than Coronado but too cheap for Boardwalk. It's a bit of a white elephant. It's definitely not maximizing value.

I don't think it would get connected to the monorail.

I think they will look at reviving a second DVC at Disneyland.

They'll need to get Anaheim to modify the Area Plan and Zoning Code to do it, which will require regime change in Anaheim. Disney is not in good repute with Anaheim City Council right now. The Area Plan is very specific and makes it impossible for Disney to add timeshare units without city approval, and limits the number unless the rules are modified through city action.

I don't think it would get connected to the monorail.
Sure but it would most likely be apart of the CR thus increase monorail traffic at that hotel and share in amenities of the hotel. If they built it as a standalone I would assume guests would still walk to the CR for monorail access regardless of the differentiation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter