What would your itinerary look like?

disneymouse16

Mouseketeer
We are trying to talk lots of family into a multi-generational trip in a couple years. Eleven people total, at the time the youngest would be five up through grandparents. If staying for seven days what would your itinerary look like? If this was a once in a lifetime trip with a laid back feel how would you plan?

Nothing concrete planned yet but I like to dream about it! :goodvibes

We are trying to talk lots of family into a multi-generational trip in a couple years. Eleven people total, at the time the youngest would be five up through grandparents. If staying for seven days what would your itinerary look like? If this was a once in a lifetime trip with a laid back feel how would you plan?

With that wide a range I would not plan to travel together all day every day. I would plan a few meals for everyone together, and perhaps a few special group FP, but would let everyone do their own thing for the most part. The youngest may need more time to nap, etc, and the oldest may need to go easier. The Hoop De Doo Revue might be fun.

I agree with the PP. You can't try to do everything together. I know when I go away with my whole family, our requirements are that everyone stays in the same resort and dinners are together (regardless if it's Disney or an all-inclusive or a cruise or whatever). Everyone is free to do whatever they want during the day. When we did Disney together a couple of years ago, sometimes we might coordinate a FP+ or lunch or breakfast or break with some of our party, and we would open it up to anyone who wanted to join, but nothing was mandatory, except dinner. After dinner, we usually all stayed together for the evening, but even then it wasn't mandatory.

Our first big family trip was horrible because MIL wanted us to do everything together all the time but what works for her didnt for us with two toddlers. Our trips since then have greatly improved. We plan some big meals all together such as ohana dinner, be our guest, crystal palace breakfast, etc. Other meals are up to the smaller groups within the big group. We also planned just a few fastpasses together such as splash and 7dmt. Other than that everybody was free to plan their own days out around those instances together. This worked great because our kids are up at 6:30am so we took advantage of morning hour while my MIL and SIL liked to sleep in and go midday then we would meet up for a dinner and talk about our day.

We were up front with these plans before making them and had a fun dinner night with everyone to talk about possible places to eat together and which rides we'd want to experience together. Keep in mind it's a good idea to do this before the 180 day mark. We also got our own rooms and were lucky enough to get connecting for some. Everybody lives differently so your own room can be what keeps the sanity if you know what i mean.

Definitely going to agree with previous people that trying to do everything together every day will most likely end in spats and cranky people. I would plan on dinners all together, and perhaps a fastpass or show together earlier in the day so you feel like you're still seeing each other, and then everyone can break into smaller groups as they wish. The nighttime shows are also probably a great thing to do together, with the understanding that the little ones might not make it that late every night. If you're not going to do every day in the park, a rest day by the pool is the perfect time to spend a majority of the day together, without the stress of getting to scheduled fastpasses or shows.

As far as recommendations for park activities that the whole group would probably enjoy doing together, here's what I came up with off the top of my head:
MK: Festival of Fantasy, Monster's Inc Laugh Floor, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
EPCOT: Soarin', Frozen Ever After
HS: Beauty and the Beast, Toy Story Mania, Frozen Sing-Along (The opening of Toy Story Land and Star Wars Galaxy's Edge may also bring other options here).
AK: Festival of the Lion King, Finding Nemo, Kilimanjaro Safaris

1. Don't over plan the day.
2. Plan a break back at the hotel most days. It really restores energy.
3. Let others in the group "plan a day". Some won't be interested, but other will love it. Especially the kids.
4. Stay in the park. It's a few bucks more but the convenience and "Disney Magic"
5. Not every one has to do the same thing all the time. Let smaller groups head out on adventures. Gives you great conversations at dinner.
6. Relax

Back in the day when they had 'Grand Gatherings' we had the opportunity to do 2 big trips a few years apart. Trip 1 had 7 adults. We planned every aspect and at the end, while we all had a good time we were exhausted and it was a bit too much time together. Trip 2 - 7 adults and 2 toddlers. This trip our only requirement was everyone eat dinner together. I honestly, think we all ended up spending almost as much time together but because wasn't a ridged plan, it just seems much more relaxed. We did do TS for our dinners so everyone could get off their feet for a bit.

It greatly depends on what your interests are and what you would like to do.
I agree with the above posts, it may be best not to do everything together as trying to cater for everyone may be quite tough. The big questions to start is whether you stay on site or off site. Personally I would stay on site because of the convenience and accessibility.

Accomodation:
Children-
For a child the best accomodation would be those that are Disney themed. The All Star Resorts, Pop Century and Art of Animation are all Disney themed and the bonus is they are quite inexpensive for Disney standards.

Adults-
Once again it depends upon your tastes with a plethora of hotels to choose from.
Personally I would stay at either Old Key West or The Cabins at Fort Wilderness.

Parks-
I don't necessarily think all 7 days at the parks will be the most suitable for everyone. However I would do the following.

Day 1- Magic Kingdom
Day 2- Hollywood Studios
Day 3- Rest
Day 4- Epcot
Day 5- Rest or Additional Park (personally I would do Magic Kingdom again)
Day 6- Animal Kingdom
Day 7 - Rest or Additional Park (if you are feeling up to it I would do Hollywood Studios again)

*in a couple of years there will also be an number of new attractions, hotels and lands at the parks
Star Wars Galaxy's Edge
Toy Story Land
Star Wars Themed Hotel
Epcot Refurb (somewhat completed)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2021)
Ratatouille Ride (2021)
Tron Coaster (2021)
Mickey and Minnies Runaway Railway (2021)

If you were to go in 2021 and I know that is touch more than a couple of years the Magic Kingdom will be a 2 day park, Epcot 1 / 2 park, Animal Kingdom 1 day park, Hollywood Studios 1 / 2 day park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter