What would you do

They can claim whatever they want. It doesn't change the fact it symbolizes being a traitor to the United States.

The thing is, though, if you take that idea out to its' logical conclusion, an American flag symbolizes being a traitor to England. There are other examples all over Europe where boundaries have changed over the past thousand years.

The Confederacy seceded, after having formally declared an intention to do so. It was not clandestine. They did it openly and with formal deliberation and official votes, and declared themselves a separate nation. The whole process, for all its poisoned reasoning, was eerily reminiscent of the political maneuverings that led to the American Revolution, yet I cannot recall any occasion in the past 100 years or so when Britons took serious offense at the display of a US flag in UK territory. Thus, the whole "treason" argument is rather a red herring, when there are so many other associations that are much more repellent.

The problem with the Stars & Bars, as with many symbols that have come down to us through history (and yes, including the swastika) is that long after the original reason for its display, a group with an agenda to push has co-opted it with a new meaning (and maybe with subtle changes, like reversing the way it faces), and that meaning gets much wider press than the original, which leads onlookers to assume that the meaning they have heard of is the only meaning that it has. Unfortunately, you cannot un-birth that new symbolic baby. Wise people understand that regardless of what it might mean to you (hypothetical you, of course) personally, display of such a symbol WILL associate you with the more commonly-known meaning, and if you do not want that to happen, you have to refrain from displaying the symbol.

Last edited:
Hhhhmmm? "You', and 'Your'.
Not "What they consider to be...", or "Their..." symbol.
Is this yet another personal attack? That word 'you' when in direct reference to one if my comments,
Hard to see this as otherwise.
Or, possibly, there a reading comprehension issue? Because I have stated that I have not, and neither has anybody I know personally or associate with, displayed that 'symbol'.

And again, Maybe somebody who is not Muslim, sees somebody who represents as Muslim, maybe with the hijab or full beard, as a person associated with hatred. (some do chant "Death to America". and commit heinous violent acts). So, okay, they get to confront and judge, and hate or even threaten, anyone with that perceived 'representation'.

Maybe one sees somebody who has on a church T-Shirt, or a cross, or some other so called perceived "symbol' of hatred, maybe against gays, or whatever. So, that alone justifies judgment, prejudice, hatred, threats, etc.

Remember, as always, things do go both ways.

Hey, if you truly believe that it is okay to judge and confront, etc.. because of some perceived 'representation' that is not clearly construed as hate-speech, then go ahead. OWN that. Just own it.

Okay, I am out here...
Let the justification for judgement and hatred and prejudice continue.

It does, without a doubt, come from all sides. (nobody is immune, nobody has the market cornered.)
Collective “you”. I should have specified. As for the rest of the post, I just don’t have the time to go back & forth.

This is in no way advice, but my mind ran this scenario:

The family has the flags hanging in the garage which can be open to public view, so that makes me think on some level they're comfortable with other people knowing their position.

If you and your daughter cross paths in the park with the other Mom/daughter and the kids are playing together, take the opportunity to speak with the Mom. Lead with how nice the girls play together, and you enjoyed the last visit talking with her. Then explain you saw the flags in their garage and are not really sure what to think of it. I'm curious what the Mom would answer, it could be a million different things. What I'd choose to do about the situation would depends on the Mom's response.

It's hard to open that can of worms though :o

And on a different note -the confederate flag is spoken of in relation to state flags and having a different meaning. I'm curious how many people fly their state flags, or even know what their state flags are? I've lived in quite a few states and I do learn some state mottos (NH's "live free or die" sticks out) but I can't remember ever knowing what the state flag looked like.

I agree with you! I think the majority of people I know here in NH, don't know what our state flag looks like. You NEVER see anyone flying our flag and certainly no one with a sticker of our flag on their car. I don't know where one would even find a state flag sticker to buy!

I actually know what our flag looks like, because my Dad often worked in our state house and when I would visit him, he would often show me around and there was an area with lots of flags including our state flag. The other reason I recognize it is because my husband and I are on a 5-year challenge to find and photograph the 400+ state historical markers and they all have the state seal from the flag on the markers. But, I can say with confidence that the average person in our state doesn't know our flag and certainly don't own one to display!

We were in Disney two weeks ago and I actually took a photo of the NH state flag in Liberty Square, but again, I am sure most folks from NH wouldn't even notice it there!

I agree with you! I think the majority of people I know here in NH, don't know what our state flag looks like. You NEVER see anyone flying our flag and certainly no one with a sticker of our flag on their car. I don't know where one would even find a state flag sticker to buy!

I actually know what our flag looks like, because my Dad often worked in our state house and when I would visit him, he would often show me around and there was an area with lots of flags including our state flag. The other reason I recognize it is because my husband and I are on a 5-year challenge to find and photograph the 400+ state historical markers and they all have the state seal from the flag on the markers. But, I can say with confidence that the average person in our state doesn't know our flag and certainly don't own one to display!

We were in Disney two weeks ago and I actually took a photo of the NH state flag in Liberty Square, but again, I am sure most folks from NH wouldn't even notice it there!
With respects to state flags I also think for some people some flags are more easily recognizable and some may not be as easily recognizable but the gist of what the flag means may be more recognizable. That said ours has agriculture/farming on it (though truly bits and pieces of it are meant to signify the pioneering days and a brief history if you will of the state) so while you may not know exactly what state it is (except since 1961 they've added the name of our state to the flag lol) you'd know it probably was in the Midwest where farming is big.

I suspect you don't find many people flying themselves state flags (more university, sports or decor and American) but recognizability and familiarity with a state flag is different than that. I pass by the state flag (and American flag) somewhere on a near daily basis when out and about..hard to miss it lol. Of course not everyone is going to know everything and specific areas one is in can have an impact so I don't doubt the PP's comments.

Folks, we aren’t flying the MS flag (or any other flag) in our yard. We don’t even own one.

We had small state flags that we attached to our car antennas. Our kids had just become state champs in baseball and were headed to the World Series in Augusta GA. We painted on the car windows with baseball and different sayings and our kid’s jersey number. All of the other states did the same thing with their state flags on their cars.

I haven’t even had a state flag since then. I do buy American flags two or three times a year to put on my Dad’s grave.

The MS flag has the confederate battle flag in the corner. It may not be exactly it but it’s close. But it’s NOT the confederate flag.

LuvsJack, Just be aware that, what matters is that just the presence of anything that anyone might seem to think 'represents' some kind of hate symbol, and if somebody decides that that they are so offended, "you" might just get what you deserve.

It really is a sad reality, isn't it.

LuvsJack, Just be aware that, what matters is that just the presence of anything that anyone might seem to think 'represents' some kind of hate symbol, and if somebody decides that that they are so offended, "you" might just get what you deserve.

It really is a sad reality, isn't it.

Yes, if that were to happen it would be horrible.

Folks, we aren’t flying the MS flag (or any other flag) in our yard. We don’t even own one.

We had small state flags that we attached to our car antennas. Our kids had just become state champs in baseball and were headed to the World Series in Augusta GA. We painted on the car windows with baseball and different sayings and our kid’s jersey number. All of the other states did the same thing with their state flags on their cars.

I haven’t even had a state flag since then. I do buy American flags two or three times a year to put on my Dad’s grave.

The MS flag has the confederate battle flag in the corner. It may not be exactly it but it’s close. But it’s NOT the confederate flag.
I think the topic just morphed as usual. Think ppl are just talking about state flags. To add to it, I was thinking about & we even fly the NOLA city flag. In fact, I do have a reg sized one of those & fly it regularly. I bet even those who know their state flag don’t know their town or city flags lol.

I think the topic just morphed as usual. Think ppl are just talking about state flags. To add to it, I was thinking about & we even fly the NOLA city flag. In fact, I do have a reg sized one of those & fly it regularly. I bet even those who know their state flag don’t know their town or city flags lol.
While our city has a flag it's usually just simplified to the inner logo/symbol. Our utility bills (because the city does the water,trash and sewer) have the inner logo on it. Landscape signs in specific spots denoting the city lines have it as well.

Doubtful people are going to own the flag of our city. Certainly there may be items you own that have the inner logo on it as that is more commonly used. Other cities in the area are similar to what I described above though cities may not use them as frequently or they've gone more modern in their symbol/logo. Several years ago our County ran a poll on what new logo to use including image and font color and size. It has a sunflower in it (which its had for a long time from what I remember) and in some places it's just pared down to that (for instance the library system uses the sunflower image a lot like the icon you see on the window tab when you go to its website).

Lol I just wanted to be clear that we aren’t walking down the street waving any flag 😂.

I didn’t even know cities had flags!! Interesting

Last edited:
I am cool with the confederate flag, but I had to look that other stuff up and wow— didn’t even know that existed. I hate to say it but I probably would stay clear. I wonder if they really believe that stuff though. Seems like they wouldn’t have talked to you in the first place.

I don't really think that they would not have even talked. I think that at the park with two unaware little preschool girls, that mother might actually speak and act friendly. These people in these hate groups operate kind of in the shadows, behind the scenes. I don't think you would find them waving their flags in public and putting on parades. Even though, to some extent that has happened. Which is just awful!

I've lived in 2 states, I have no real love for either so I never flew either flag, but I know what they look like.
I also know what Texas' looks like and Maryland's because for some reason that awful looking thing is plastered all over everything on the Ocean City Boardwalk :lmao:
As far as any other states, don't have a clue what their flags look like but I do think it is odd to live in a state and not know.

I live in NY now and I could barely tell you what the flag looks like, I never see it anywhere but I know that it's dark blue. Around here most places fly the US and Canada flags, and sometimes the Buffalo flag which I think is pretty cool looking.

Buuuut I own plenty of items with the Maryland flag on them, including my Crab/flag car window sticker. :) We were taught about the MD coat of arms in school so I just assumed all other states did the same thing.

I live in NY now and I could barely tell you what the flag looks like, I never see it anywhere but I know that it's dark blue. Around here most places fly the US and Canada flags, and sometimes the Buffalo flag which I think is pretty cool looking.

Buuuut I own plenty of items with the Maryland flag on them, including my Crab/flag car window sticker. :) We were taught about the MD coat of arms in school so I just assumed all other states did the same thing.

I live in NY too, I'm pretty familiar with our flag. I assume it is because it has been visible in my life since I was a kid, it was raised at my high school every morning along with the US flag. I also spent alot of time in places where it was displayed- the American Legion, and the ball field, and the State offices where my mother worked are places I specifically remember it.
I moved out of NY briefly to a state with a highly recognizable flag, but don't really recall it being displayed where I always saw it.

Are you from MD? I don't know anything about their flag but I have one of those flag/crab magnets on my fridge.
I do know they love their flag down there, it is really evidenced by the articles of clothing they have depicting it, and the people wearing it head to toe. :lmao:
There must be a very proud history behind it.

I live in NY too, I'm pretty familiar with our flag. I assume it is because it has been visible in my life since I was a kid, it was raised at my high school every morning along with the US flag. I also spent alot of time in places where it was displayed- the American Legion, and the ball field, and the State offices where my mother worked are places I specifically remember it.
I moved out of NY briefly to a state with a highly recognizable flag, but don't really recall it being displayed where I always saw it.

Are you from MD? I don't know anything about their flag but I have one of those flag/crab magnets on my fridge.
I do know they love their flag down there, it is really evidenced by the articles of clothing they have depicting it, and the people wearing it head to toe. :lmao:
There must be a very proud history behind it.

I am, I moved to WNY 13 years ago which probably explains my unfamiliarity as a transplant who didn't attend any school here.

MD flag is a combo of the Calvert coat of arms (the first Lord Baltimore who eventually made his way to the Maryland region to settle it) and the Crossland family who was related to the Calverts. The Crossland part does have Confederate historical association behind it but not really thought of in that way currently, nor meant to be representative of that. I personally just associate it with the original creation of the state and a hometown pride thing. It's colorful and unique too which I guess adds to its popularity. Plus the University of Maryland has integrated it into sport uniforms , logos etc as well as UMBC where I went to school. So I guess a combo of all that.

Completely OT, I know, but since the thread has gone sideways ... Funnily enough, where I live now the city flag is EVERYWHERE, but the state flag is not very popular. Due to a historic boundary situation that I won't get into here (too complicated), the city proper has a reputation as a dangerous place, and those of us who live there have to defend it all the time. It's popular here to fly the city flag, because there is a point of pride about it.

It's actually a very attractive design (that isn't my house, LOL.)
images
: The state flag isn't nearly as pretty:
images

Completely OT, I know, but since the thread has gone sideways ... Funnily enough, where I live now the city flag is EVERYWHERE, but the state flag is not very popular. Due to a historic boundary situation that I won't get into here (too complicated), the city proper has a reputation as a dangerous place, and those of us who live there have to defend it all the time. It's popular here to fly the city flag, because there is a point of pride about it.

It's actually a very attractive design (that isn't my house, LOL.)
images
: The state flag isn't nearly as pretty:
images
Where is that? I agree it’s a nice design. I think ours is too which is partly why ppl fly it. And b/c ever since Katrina there has been a renewed pride & appreciation for the city.

Attachments

• 2A039C46-016F-4971-865D-653C2637B1E5.png
    2A039C46-016F-4971-865D-653C2637B1E5.png
    111.5 KB · Views: 2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter