• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What would you do

Mish

DIS Veteran
We are planning on bringing $2000 spending money for our 9 day trip. I am very nervous about bringing that much cash. I was wondering if anyone knew how convient are travelers checks. Does everywhere accect them. I was thinking of bringing $500 in cash and the rest in travelers checks. Or I could deposit the money in my checking account and use my debit card. Anyone who could help I would appreciate it. Michelle

I usually keep about about $500.00 in cash and the rest in travellers checks. They are very convenient! Yes, they should be excepted everywhere in the world. There could be an exception with some of the little food stands, but I think they take them also. It sure is safer to take travellers checks.

EVERYONE takes them in WDW, even the cart venders if there are any left. (someone correct me if I'm wrong, though, please) I would put the $1000 in the bank, get $900 in travelers checks, and take $100 cash with you. This is pretty much what we do. Our checks cost us $1 per $100, so that would be $9 for $900. DH has NEVER gone to the bank when I get them, so they are always in my name. What we do is in the morning, pay for something with a tc and then DH takes the change. I keep 2 of the tc's on me so if I see something I want, I can get it, but someone is going to have to mug my 185lb biker DH to get the rest. LOL (you can also put them in the safe at the resort if you don't have a scary looking biker hubby to guard them.;)) We roughly know how much our meals are going to be, so we always charge those to our card. I do keep a running tally on the tc envelope of the charge card meals so I don't go over, though. This is just what we do, your milage may vary.

Here's a thought:

If you don't want to carry the cash, but do not feel like writing your name over and over again, then try depositing some of the money with Disney and use your room key whenever you need to pay for something. Then all you have to keep track of the receipt of deposit and the room/charge key!:)

We never carry cash like that. I'm WAY to paraniod about loosing it!! We usually have $25-$50 each in our pockets for snacks/drinks/incidentals....and use the ATM at the parks periodically when we need more cash. Sure, they charge a dollar or two to use the ATM, but to me, it's a small price to pay for the piece of mind, knowing I don't have to be responsible for a huge wad of cash!

BTW....we don't spend much actual CASH - mostly we charge things to our room and pay with our credit card. That way we have a detailed receipt of where our money went! To that end, I like LauraJean1014's suggestion of "banking" it with Disney.

Thanks for your replies and suggestion. I am going to get the travelers checks. I think that is the best and safest way to go. Michelle

Disnee Dad Says......................................................... Just last night with seventeen days to go I paid my credit card , plus $750 to pay for the car and food and stuff. I'll bring couple hundred in TC's and a hundred in cash. Room, air and tickets are paid for. On our second trip the rooms and tickets were not paid for, so I put $2000 toward the credit card before we left. If you have a miles or rebate card this is the way to go!

We have never tried this, and it may not be available now, but at one time you could get a prepaid american express card thru AAA. a phone call would let you know....good luck

I've never had a problem using traveler's checks at WDW. I just think some of the small "stands" don't take them, but you can even use them at the counter service restaurants. I get mine in $100.00 denominations and then you can cash one and have extra cash for the day. Or you may need to break more than one if you shop like I do.....ºoº

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter