What would you do? Borrowing in 2019

KAL918

Earning My Ears
My husband and I bought a stripped resale contract for AKL this past February. We are borrowing from 2019 to go to in Nov. 2018.

For our Nov or Dec 2019 trip, we are not sure what to do. 1) Star Wars Land is rumored to be opening in late fall 2019 and we honestly do not want to deal with those crowds 2) We may be relocating with new jobs some time in 2019 and we're not sure if we'll be able to take time off and when

Since we have to borrow from 2020 to make a 2019 reservation, and once you borrow, you can't "un-borrow", it seems like the best thing to do is not go in 2019. Otherwise, if we make a reservation in January 2019 for Dec 2019 and need to cancel, we will need to use our borrowed points by end of August 2020 (our UY is September), correct?

Would you not make a reservation and just plan to go some time in 2020 instead or hedge your bets and book for early December 2019 and see what happens? (If SWL opens late or we are able to take time off from work, then we can still go ....but there are two things up in the air that make it very hard to plan)

If there is a lot of uncertainty I would hold off on making a reservation until you know more about your move and new job situation. No sense tying up points and then be forced to rent them, if you are then unable to use them before they expire. If you take a year off it would also help to get out of the constant borrowing mode.

If there is a lot of uncertainty I would hold off on making a reservation until you know more about your move and new job situation. No sense tying up points and then be forced to rent them, if you are then unable to use them before they expire. If you take a year off it would also help to get out of the constant borrowing mode.

Thanks! That is what I was thinking as well -- if we don't go at all in 2019, we'd be above water in 2020 points wise. Of course its easy to say now that we won't go in 2019 when we have a trip coming up in a few months :)

Thanks! That is what I was thinking as well -- if we don't go at all in 2019, we'd be above water in 2020 points wise. Of course its easy to say now that we won't go in 2019 when we have a trip coming up in a few months :)

Also keep in mind it may work out that you can take a last minute trip in 2019......DVC is not really ideal for last minute trips but we have used our to go on short notice a few times with good luck [planning 2 or 3 months in advance and making a quick booking] ...

you're probably going to want to avoid going to WDW after the initial launch of SWL anyways -- the lines and crowds are going to be insane. It's going to be far worse than Pandora. And keep in mind, when they say late fall -- that really means December.

you're probably going to want to avoid going to WDW after the initial launch of SWL anyways -- the lines and crowds are going to be insane. It's going to be far worse than Pandora. And keep in mind, when they say late fall -- that really means December.

I plan on taking a full year and a half away from the opening of SWL. That way I can actually enjoy it when I first visit it, and avoid most of the major construction projects that will be going on at Epcot and the Magic Kingdom.

I plan on taking a full year and a half away from the opening of SWL. That way I can actually enjoy it when I first visit it, and avoid most of the major construction projects that will be going on at Epcot and the Magic Kingdom.

that'll mean summer of 2021 -- which means you'll be running into 50th anniversary craziness.

At least construction will be mostly done -- but it's going to be crazy in 2021. MK will have Tron coaster. Epcot will have Ratatouille and GotG ride. DHS will be SWL and TSL. DAK will be back to normal by then I presume...unless they replace dinoland area with something better.

*There's also supposed to be a new Illuminations at Epcot and DAK is also supposed to get a new night show.

that'll mean summer of 2021 -- which means you'll be running into 50th anniversary craziness.

At least construction will be mostly done -- but it's going to be crazy in 2021. MK will have Tron coaster. Epcot will have Ratatouille and GotG ride. DHS will be SWL and TSL. DAK will be back to normal by then I presume...unless they replace dinoland area with something better.

*There's also supposed to be a new Illuminations at Epcot and DAK is also supposed to get a new night show.

Yeah, but part of my loving DVC is that I will be able to treat my parents to a 2 BR room. Negotiated the best date to do this with my siblings and my older brother really wants to be part of the 50th craziness. I can see the benefit of going then over 2020, though, because the craziness will be spread over 3 parks, maybe even 4 if AK changes anything like rumors, such as what you included, come to fruition. Probably after that trip I will want to avoid Disney until 2025!

I'm making sure to see Illuminations one last time later this month, as I anticipate that change happening as soon as later this year now that Siemens has pulled out. Speaking of nighttime entertainment, lets hope that Magic Kingdom returns some sort of nighttime parade before 2021. It just feels weird without one.

I think there's a better than 50/50 chance SWL will be open in December. They are declaring a "late fall" opening, and while technically it could open December 20th they will not wait that long - I personally think it will open sometime mid- to late- November.

Really, the facts are though you have to decide how badly you want the room. As you point out, since you would be borrowing points, you could get stuck with points that have to stay in that UY.

Honestly, we have been stuck in the cycle of borrowing points, and we are trying to get out of it. Might I suggest since the trip seems to be somewhat questionable that you consider just booking a cash room or even an off-site stay? This way you have the flexibility to cancel when you need to without using your DVC points up. Then you can get back on a cycle when you are using your points within the UY, and if you need to cancel will have the option to bank.

Also keep in mind it may work out that you can take a last minute trip in 2019......DVC is not really ideal for last minute trips but we have used our to go on short notice a few times with good luck [planning 2 or 3 months in advance and making a quick booking] ...

Thanks! We thought of that too.

I think there's a better than 50/50 chance SWL will be open in December. They are declaring a "late fall" opening, and while technically it could open December 20th they will not wait that long - I personally think it will open sometime mid- to late- November.

Really, the facts are though you have to decide how badly you want the room. As you point out, since you would be borrowing points, you could get stuck with points that have to stay in that UY.

Honestly, we have been stuck in the cycle of borrowing points, and we are trying to get out of it. Might I suggest since the trip seems to be somewhat questionable that you consider just booking a cash room or even an off-site stay? This way you have the flexibility to cancel when you need to without using your DVC points up. Then you can get back on a cycle when you are using your points within the UY, and if you need to cancel will have the option to bank.

I'm hoping that with job hunting and then hopefully moving, we will be so distracted that we won't be super bummed about not going in 2019. We've gone a year or two without going due to health issues and we managed to survive :) But the cash room is something i think about if we get super desperate, lol.

This exactly!

We have been in borrowing mode since we bought in four years ago. Might actually crawl out of the hole this year, but our UY is June and there’s plenty more year to go...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!