What would make icing too hard when you've just made it?

Sheree Bobbins

DIS Veteran
I make the icing according to the recipe but invariably find the icing is too hard to spread. Do I need more liquid than the recipe calls for?

I just made a large 3-layer cake and the icing was too hard to spread. I put it in the microwave on defrost for a minute, then worked like mad to spread it quickly on the cake. Does anyone have a good icing recipe?

Yes I would try adding a little bit of liquid, like either water or milk. I would add about 1 tablspoon at a time, until it is a slightly thinner consitency.

I've never cared for traditional icing...it's too sweet for me. However, my Grandmother used to make "cooked icing" that I loved! It uses regular granulated sugar instead of confectioner's too, so it's always in the house. ;) It's also a softer, more spreadable icing.

Cooked Icing
3 Tbl flour
¾ c milk
¾ c butter
¾ c sugar
¾ tsp vanilla

Combine flour & milk with a whisk & cook stirring constantly until thick. Cool. Add butter & beat 4 minutes. Add sugar & beat 4 more minutes. Add vanilla & beat until smooth. Refrigerate until spreadable.

piratesmate, I am going to try that recipe, it sounds really good. I don't usually like icing too as it is too sweet.

Twigs said:
piratesmate, I am going to try that recipe, it sounds really good. I don't usually like icing too as it is too sweet.

I have a really, really good chocolate cake recipe that goes extremely well with that! :teeth: Let me know if you'd like it....very dense & moist. Yum!

I know this is too late to help the OP with her current icing, but I was wondering what type of recipe you used that you ended up with such stiff icing? The only icing I've seen get really stiff is royal icing, which is supposed to since you use it to make all sorts of flowers and other decorations. It's pretty much solid sugar, dries extremely hard, and lasts for a longggg time.

I don't know if this recipe ever had another name or if it really originated with "Clyde" - the husband of my mother's very good friend. All I know is that we always called it "Clyde's Chocolate Cake". LOL

Clyde’s Chocolate Cake
1½ c water
¾ c shortening
¾ c cocoa
3 c flour
3 c sugar
2¼ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 eggs
¾ c sour milk
1½ tsp vanilla

Cook water, shortening & cocoa until butter melts. Add flour, sugar, soda & salt. Beat 2 minutes. Add eggs & beat 2 more minutes. Add milk & vanilla; beat 2 minutes. Grease a 13x9 pan & dust with cocoa. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Ice with Cooked Icing recipe.

Piratesmte, thank you for sharing both recipes. I'm adding them to my recipe collection.

Add a tablesoon of Cricso shortening to your recipe and the icing won't get hard!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!