What Wind Speeds Cause Fireworks to be cancelled?

Drew Perri

Mouseketeer
I know relying on 7 day and 10 day weather forecast is about as useful as a weight-loss new years resolution lol but this weekend and next weekend (last I checked) each day there should be DL fireworks the winds are slated to be anywhere from 8-10 MPH.

I imagine this is too windy for fireworks? Does DL every announce these things ahead of time or do they play it by ear?

Arriving this Friday for our 10 day vacation would hate to miss fireworks both weekend

Thanks again!

It's winds at higher elevations so what you feel doesn't really give a solid indication.

Just try to see them as early in your trip as possible in case they get cancelled.

I believe the new show is designed to go on with mostly projections if the fireworks component gets cancelled.

Honestly, it isn't just wind speed. It is direction, and wind elevation. Like was said, see them as early as you can.

I know relying on 7 day and 10 day weather forecast is about as useful as a weight-loss new years resolution lol but this weekend and next weekend (last I checked) each day there should be DL fireworks the winds are slated to be anywhere from 8-10 MPH.

I imagine this is too windy for fireworks? Does DL every announce these things ahead of time or do they play it by ear?

Arriving this Friday for our 10 day vacation would hate to miss fireworks both weekend

Thanks again!
Good answers so far and I will address the part about planning. Mostly or always Disney "plays it by ear".

:wizard:

As mentioned direction is more of a determining factor than speed...while they can shoot off at 15 knots in prevailing winds, there is one direction that if it is over 5 knots they have to kill it since it shoot right off the edge of the property.

... Arriving this Friday for our 10 day vacation would hate to miss fireworks both weekend...
Even with the forecasted rain, with the possibility of 10 days in the parks, I think you'll have a good chance to see fireworks more than once -- hopefully from more than one of the different viewing areas (castle, Main Street, IASW, and ROA) so that you can compare the view.

.....and for other folks looking for an the answer on a different date visit....CMs do not have the answer and will have zero information on the chances of fireworks......and in my experience, if the wind picks up around later afternoon and the palm trees are bustling about, a significant chance fireworks will be cancelled......IF SO....don't run over to WOC....it also will be canceled.

...IF SO....don't run over to WOC....it also will be canceled.
Depends on the direction of the wind. If the wind is blowing into the water screens, you'll have a great show because the images and colors on the screens will be very dense and bright. However, if the wind is blowing into the viewing area... get ready to have a very blurry view and be prepared to get wet! Drenched in the Splash Zone and misted/wet/very wet everywhere else. The show might get cancelled then if the water screens can't be seen properly. Either way, don't run over to WOC if fireworks get cancelled if you don't already have a WOC FP! (Unless you are prepared to have a mediocre-to-bad view in a non-FP area...)

If there are clouds high up, watch them as fireworks time draws near. If you can see them moving, it’s possible you’re looking at cancellation. In my experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!