• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What will I do my my 4 yo?

bizwiz24

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone,

I am going to Disney in July with my girlfriend, her mother, and two siblings (ages 4 & 10). I am caught up in the Disney craze so I am thinking of everything now. I am really concerned for the 4 year old and the things he can and cannot do. He is the type of boy that does not get scared easily. I have never gone with a child that small and I haven't gone in 5 years, so Disney is a little bit fuzzy.

I am sure there are tons of rides, but which rides would he probably not be able to get on because of height restrictions? He has an average 4 year old height, not sure exactly how tall.

Thank You everyone for your help!

Bizwiz24 :earsboy:

We recently went with a 4 and 6 year old. I think first and foremost that you should remember that what small children like most of all is being with you! I confirmed this on our last trip when I asked the girls what their favorite part was....they both said "being with my family". I was also struck by this when the little ones and I were waiting for the big ones to do the Tower of Terror. The girls had already waited while one half rode the RNR and also "kid swapped" that ride and now they were having to wait again while we all did ToT! I was feeling guilty until I really looked at them. They were having snacks from the candy shop and enjoying the scenary and the company. Never once did they complain that they had to wait while we rode rides. Never! And for the 4 year old that was often since she is under 40 inches.

That said, you can get a the height restrictions at allearsnet.com

Also, we found that even if the 6 year old was tall enough sometimes the attractions were too intense for her (ToT). I know some kids are much more fearless, and you know your child better than anyone else. But a few of those attractions are VERY intense.

Have fun planning!

Anne

Just measure the 4 year old. Different rides have different height restrictions. On the Disney website you can check out the rides and they will list the height restrictions, if any. My 3 year old loves WDW and she there are only a few things at each park she can't do. Her biggest thrill this last trip was getting to ride her first roller coater... Goofy's Barnstormer.

If your 4 yr old is 40 inches and has little fear, then you'll be able to do almost everything. The very few rides that the 4 yr old wouldn't be big enough are rides that you might choose not to take a young child on anyway (tower of terror and Rock N rollercoaster). On our first trip, my DD was a tall 3 1/2 yr old. She LOVED Splash and Thunder Mountain. The only rides she didn't do were the simulator rides (by our choice), primevil whirl and the 2 big rides I mentioned above. Other than that she went on everything that we wanted to go on. I think there is something extra magical about taking a young child. You'll love it.

Jess

Especially if he isn't scared by rides, I think he will have a great time. If he's average height, he will probably be able to get onto most rides. Our daughter was 4 when we went in September and she could ride all but a few rides (too short for Space Mtn, Primeval Whirl, Rock N Roll Roller Coaster, etc.). She was right around 40 inches and she has always been pretty average in terms of height. She loved Splash Mountain!! :D She did wish she could have ridden the bigger rides, too, but overall she had an awesome trip. There is so much to do there even besides rides, especially for kids.

Have a great trip!

On our Dec trip my 3 yr old (4 on Feb 28) could ride many of the kids. He rode ToT, Dinosaur, BTMRR plus all of the rides geared for the young kids. Our family is big on thrill rides and ds is too. He liked Dinosaur, didnt cry and wants to ride it again. He LOVED BTMRR--we rode it several times.

The DIS has a height calculator (link in to through theme parks) where you just plug in the height and it spits back the rides that they can't go on. My 5 yr old little guy (40 in.) can only NOT ride three rides, Primeveal Whirl in AK, Space Mt. in MK, and RNRCoaster in MGM. At the waterparks, Humunga Kowabunga in TL and Downhill Double Dipper and Summit Plumet at BB. That being said, I know he won't be going on TofT or some others that would just be too scary for him. Just because they can ride something doesn't mean they should. You know your child best. Also with my guy, I have to start off with the real easy rides or waterpark slides & later he'll be ready for the bigger ones, but he's been in tears when we go right to a huge waterpark slide just because there's no line. So I took him to the kiddie area instead, and later he's loving the same slide he was crying about earlier. It may be tempting to run right for the "big" rides before a line forms, but for my child at least, that's a no-no.

My 6yr old DD is extremely petite for her age (31lbs, 40", 3-4T size). She has been going to Disney since she was 2yrs old and needless to say she has not been able to do much of anything except the Barnstormer in Toon Town.

She would get bummed out sometimes but we just explained to her that she couldn't go on for safety reasons. When my husband or I would go on a ride we would just distract her by taking her into the gift shops or buying her a little snack.

Just measure your 4yr old and he may be tall enough to ride most of the rides (for the most part you need to be 40" tall). If he isn't, just make sure you take a lot of time in Fantasyland and other rides that are just his size.

For us, my DD is finally tall enough to go on a lot more rides, and she is so excited. But, we are starting over with another DD because she is 13 months and obviously to small for everything.

Have a good time!!!!!!!!!!!:wave:

It may sound strange, but dont forget to measure the child with their shoes on. My daughter is not tall enought to ride several things bt with her shoes on she is just right. The bottoms are regular sized, but they add that extra 1/2 inch that she is missing. Hope you all have fun~KPmom:smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter