What were you drinking? ..and other responses to my plan to do Dopey 2018 (Comments Welcome)

I live in a pretty hilly area, and I definitely think of the WDW courses as flat. There are a couple of overpasses, but those are pretty minimal in my view. It probably all depends on what you are used to running on as to whether or not you consider their courses flat. But, yeah, not completely flat - just pretty darn close. :)

8 weeks to go: 6th -12th November
Mon: Rest
Tues: 5 miles Easy
Weds: Skipped (2 WU + 5 M tempo + 1CD)
Thurs: Rest
Fri: Rest
Sat: 6 miles easy (5k parkrun pacing 40 mins + 3 miles easy)
Sun: 6 miles (Swindon 10k race with DD)

Total: ~17 miles

So the good bit first:
My week hadn't been quite to plan as I was a bit under the weather. I did my first session of the week but didn't make the second one.
Saturday I was still a bit lethargic. After my run I spent the day hoem alone so I made a start on my second outfit.

Sunday was DD's first 10k race and I decided to go along to support her. I was debating whether to run with her as she tends to start too quickly and then fades out. I have managed to coax her round 8k but not without a fair bit of arguing (shut up mum). So we decided I'd run the race at my pace and she would run at hers and we'd meet up at the finish line. We worked out a goal time of 1hr 15 for her and talked about the pace she'd need to be hitting to achieve this. Most importantly I got her to work out a maximum pace.

We were a bit late arriving (Sunday morning + teenager) so it was a bit of a rush getting our bibs and after a quick loo stop we headed for the starting line. It was about 5C but felt colder in the wind and I wished we had had more time to warm up. DD was really excited and we talked about how much more exciting the WDW half would be. We lined up right at the back to stay out of the crowd as we would get a chip time anyway (and it would stop DD from flying off like a rocket). I started moving up through the field and settled into what was ~ HM tempo pace. It was a nice two lap course through the country lanes. At the start you could look down into the valley and right across Swindon though we weren't quite as high up as the Ridgeway. I harbour a secret desire to run along the Ridgeway, in fact one day I want to do the Race to The Stones which is a 100k route from the stone circle in Avebury along the Ridgeway to Salisbury Plain and finishing at Stonehenge. I think maybe I need to get over one challenge first before I start dreamind about the next.

Anyway, the sun came out and it suddenly got much warmer. I decided to stop and walk through the water station to take on a proper drink. On the second lap at about 6-7 k I met a lovely man who was struggling a bit. He told me he was feeling quite nauseous but was determined to finish. I was trying to distract him so we chatted about his races and his son who had already stormed ahead. I left him at about 9 k as he wanted to walk the rest. So I got back onpace and was quite surprised to get in at 1 hr 2 min 36. If I hadn't walked at the water station I think I'd would have definitely got a PB. I got my medal and some cake off the lovely parkrun people who were gathering around the finish line. I walked back to where DH was stood at a corner where you could see runners coming up the hill to the finish. I just mentioned that DD should be along soon when I spotted her about 400m out (she currently has purple hair so not hard). She then put on such a spurt of speed that I hardly had time to get my camera out. She blasted past several people, and cheered on by the parkrun people she flew in at ~1hr 13 mins, much faster than we'd been expecting. When we looked at her times later she'd done negative splits with each km a few seconds faster than the last. What a pro! And even better still she was absolutely buzzing. The guy who was feeling ill finished a couple of minutes behind me though his son finished around 45 minutes. We shook hands before going back to our cars and vowed we'd be back next year.

And now the not so good bit: Afterwards my leg started to throb and the next day I couldn't put any weight on it. I haven't been able to run since though I have been trying to do other things instead like swimming. At this stage the most important thing is to make sure my legs are good for January as I don't think I can make up for the lost training at this stage. I'm going to rethink my training plan with a view to maximising my fitness even if I can't run for a while.

So first off to say I've been around for a while as its a very busy time at work, so I've been a bit rubbish at updating my training log.
Not that I have a lot to add at the moment as I've been totally off plan for two weeks now.

I finally got to see a physio this morning and had a really productive session including one pretty painful sports massage. Unfortunately he has confirmed that I have torn my calf (soleus medial calf tear). Luckily as I've not run much it looks like its already healing and he thinks I could be healed for Dopey if I'm sensible.

I now have a new plan which at this stage only extends to the next two weeks but the likelihood is I will not run again before Dopey.

My new plan is:
- Some cardio, to replace my running miles with miles on the bike with some swimming or rowing.
- Some rehab for my calf which is focussed on stretching, breaking up the adhesions and promoting healing.
- Some prehab which is focussed on my hips and glutes which the physio thinks has caused the problem in the first place.

I have ordered some winter tyres for my bike but this weekend I'll probably go to the gym as the weather forecast is snow and 40mph winds. We hardly ever get proper snow, it's usually grey mush.

Have you had good luck with your 630? I have really struggled with my 620, the first one I had completely died and I had to send it back to garmin.

Luckily I've not had any issues with my watch but I've had a few problems with the app on my iPhone. My husband had issues with his Garmin vivoactive HR and has had to get it replaced after 9 months.

So @Chris-Mo I'm goign to take back what I said about my Garmin. My touch screen suddenly kept freezing up and then went blank, so I sent my 630 back and got a refund. Luckily this was just before Black Friday and I now have a Fenix 5S with Optical HRM (no touch screen so less to go wrong, finger-crossed).

My next job, other than make the costumes for myself and DD for the half, is to work out the logisitcs of it all. I was very excited to see the event guide come out though I now have a loads of questions like where to go first at the expo (why are the shirts and bibs in different places?). How do you get into the expo early and race retreat (I have bought the package but only have a confirmation number).
Should I get a bus or the monorail from the hotel on the half and marathon day? What is a this mini-wave? Do I go to the front of the corral? Where do I buy the margaritas from? Will I get stopped at the airport if I bring open packets of Tailwind with me!

It so close now, I'm gettting quite excited. I usually love this time of the year and I so love my Xmas holiday, but this year it's roll on New Year!

So first off to say I've been around for a while as its a very busy time at work, so I've been a bit rubbish at updating my training log.
Not that I have a lot to add at the moment as I've been totally off plan for two weeks now.

I finally got to see a physio this morning and had a really productive session including one pretty painful sports massage. Unfortunately he has confirmed that I have torn my calf (soleus medial calf tear). Luckily as I've not run much it looks like its already healing and he thinks I could be healed for Dopey if I'm sensible.

Ugh, that's tough! Hoping for a speedy recovery and that you will be able to do Dopey.

I now have a loads of questions

Here to help!

where to go first at the expo (why are the shirts and bibs in different places?)

Shirts and bibs are in the same building. Once the map comes out it'll be easier to explain. But you'll go into the specific building for a certain bib:

HP Field House = Goofy and Dopey bib and shirt pickup
Champion Stadium = 5k, 10k, and Kids bib and shirt pickup
Visa Athletic Center = HM and M bib and shirt pickup

After you get the bib, in the same building at a different table, you'll get the shirt.

As for which to do first, since you have race retreat you should have a fairly relaxed experience as long as you take advantage of the full hour. I'd do Field House or VAC first. The Champion Stadium is open air and super easy with usually no lines.

How do you get into the expo early and race retreat (I have bought the package but only have a confirmation number).

I believe last year they sent you a wristband in the mail. At a minimum have the confirmation # printed out with you.

Should I get a bus or the monorail from the hotel on the half and marathon day?

I think either is fine. I prefer the bus.

What is a this mini-wave?

So each race consists of multiple corrals. For instance, the HM has 8 corrals (A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H). When you arrive you'll line up in your corral (they tend to open ~1 hour prior to race start). Now once the race starts you'll move closer and closer to the start line as each corral ahead is sent off. Let's say you're in corral E. You line up at the front of corral E. Ahead of you, you will see corral D leave off from the start. Then the race marshals will stop you and hold you at the start. Then they will let off corral E. Now after a few hundred people in corral E, they will stop people again. Maybe 1/4 of corral E will leave together. They'll wait a minute, and then release more of corral E, then wait, and more. These are the mini-waves. So corral E is your assignment, but not all of corral E will be released at the same moment. The further ahead in corral E you are, the sooner you start relative to time of day.

Do I go to the front of the corral?

That's a personal preference. If you're worried about sweeping time, then it's advisable to be as close to the front of your corral as possible. If you're worried about an initial rush of people or not being able to maintain a similar pace to those you've been corralled with, then line further back.

Where do I buy the margaritas from?

@FFigawi knows best!

Will I get stopped at the airport if I bring open packets of Tailwind with me!

Put it in your checked luggage. Last I read, they were screening food items at some airports. Don't know what would happen with open Tailwind.

Wow a torn calf sounds rough and really painful. I’m glad it sounds like you can recover by marathon weekend though. Be careful and get better!

Hoping for a speedy recovery and that you will be able to do Dopey.

Wow a torn calf sounds rough and really painful. I’m glad it sounds like you can recover by marathon weekend though. Be careful and get better!

Thanks for your support and for answering all my daft questions. I'm still going for it though at this stage the aim is just getting round. I intend to start each race though I have accepted that I may not finish.

I have had another two weeks off but have kept up my rehab and prehab exercises. I had another visit to the physio on Friday and he's pretty pleased with my recovery so far. I'm now allowed to do some walk/jog intervals but no more than 20 mins at a time with a recovery day in between. I managed the 5k parkrun on Saturday by top and tailing it with walking with a bit of walk/jogging in the middle. I've been out twice and done a couple of 2k walk/jogs.
My strategy for the Dopey is to walk as much as possible, and only jeff if I need to stay ahead of the balloon ladies. I'm in D for the marathon so have a bit of the head start on them. I seem to have settled on 60 sec:30 secs as 30:30 was too much stop and start.

I've finished all my costumes though DD's not done her Donald for the half yet. Here's mine.

25488773_1689433447744416_143149449_n.jpg

I'm going for neon/glow in the dark for the 5k

26197421_1698902583464169_1650543944_n.jpg

Minnie for the 10k
26058045_1698900450131049_802093409_n.jpg

And of course Dopey to finish.

26056900_1698900496797711_526528474_n.jpg

Now that Xmas is out of the way I just need to get my packing done.

I'm looking forward to seeing my fellow Dopeys at the meet-up. Thanks for all the support and advice and good luck everyone. xx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!