What type of software do you use?

After using Elements 2.0 for years and enjoying it I decided to upgrade to 3.0. Then I found out they only would honor my discount if I went to 4.0 but the learning curve isn't too bad. Some of the new features are very nice and the Fix Red Eye is much easier to do now.

I also use Picasa but it virtually overtakes your photos before you realize it and I did not find it intuitive to learn AT ALL! While I am very pleased with the end result, especially the ease of moving photos around, intro screens and slideshows you can create, it is potentially devasting if you don't realize that you are actually deleting every copy of a photo you have when you delete a label etc.

And I still remember the old Photoshop Deluxe for its' ease and simplicity of use! What a fantastic little workhorse program. It had the easiest to use photo editing tools of any program I have ever used! I sometimes wish I could go back and install it for quick touchups!

Photoshop Elements 2.0 for most things, although I would like to upgrade.

Picasa for general organization, browsing, and "reducing" file size to e-mail smaller versions, etc. I also like the scrolling feature better than the Browser in Elements 2.0

I've downloaded GIMP for XP - a seemingly very powerful program - I've read that it can do almost everything that a full version of PS will do. Google GIMP and you will find not only several executable versions (it's open source code and there are several versions, some of which try to emulate PS in look and feel). You will also find via Google several on-line GIMP tutorials that walk you through the various features. If you are looking for something that is potentially more robust than Elements or Picasa, and have the time to learn it by messing around, give it a try!

I use both PS Elements (just upped to 4) and MS Digital Image Pro 10. Elements, starting with 3, incorporates Adobe's Photo Album, which I think is super for sorting and finding. MS is a bit less complicated than Elements. I also keep a REAL old MS PhotDraw, ver 2 (the last one), for a few special things that it does very easily.

Karen, I would recommend looking at Elements 4 (on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...-1020259-7216951?v=glance&s=software&n=507846 ) good price, free deliver, no tax, rebate with your old MS program. Or, look at MS's Digital Image Suite http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...-1020259-7216951?v=glance&s=software&n=541966

Both are comprehensive, easy to use.

gruZ said:
Photoshop Elements 2.0 for most things, although I would like to upgrade.

Picasa for general organization, browsing, and "reducing" file size to e-mail smaller versions, etc. I also like the scrolling feature better than the Browser in Elements 2.0

I've downloaded GIMP for XP - a seemingly very powerful program - I've read that it can do almost everything that a full version of PS will do. Google GIMP and you will find not only several executable versions (it's open source code and there are several versions, some of which try to emulate PS in look and feel). You will also find via Google several on-line GIMP tutorials that walk you through the various features. If you are looking for something that is potentially more robust than Elements or Picasa, and have the time to learn it by messing around, give it a try!

Don't you just love open source code! I have loaded GIMP on the computer and have started using it. Seems pretty similar to Elements so far. I will have to look for the on-line tutorials. Thanks for that tid-bit.

Dan - I do have Digital Image Pro 10 - But not always happy with what it takes to get the results I want -

Do you still use MS? If so, for what?

I have seen PS listed everywhere with it always being in magazines and such with tips for use - I think I am ready to make the leap, but I think my question is:

I really don't want to spend the money if I am getting pretty much the same program I already have -

Karen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter