What to pack into a half day at Tokyo Disney Sea or Tokyo Disney Land?

TheHamm

DIS Veteran
I have to go to Japan for work, and my schedule is not changeable, but I can do two half days in Tokyo. {I have done all the typical tourist stuff in Tokyo, I do not want to do that this time} As I have been to the US parks many times, TDSea seems more unique, so that is my first target.

I am planning to fly into NRT and do not have to be to meetings until the next afternoon, so I am hoping to take the bus to TDR hit DisneySea, and spend the night there before catching a shinkansen in the morning. I can get the TDSea after 3pm ticket (sports day is a holiday ticket price!), and use this as an opportunity to stay awake and adjust to the time shift- this is way better than taking a train to sleep closer to my company. Q1- does anyone think I can find a locker to put my suitcase in at the park if I go direct from the airport or am I better off taking the bus to the Sheraton to drop my bag and then get to a park as soon as I can? Q2- as I will arrive after 3pm, do I bother trying to get any FP or just assume they will be gone? I definitely want to do Soarin & Sinbads. Journey to the center of the earth is closed. I'm not a bit coaster person so I am not sure Raging Spirits is a good idea. Indiana Jones, 20,000 Leagues, and TSM seems similar to the rides in the US parks so I can skip it. Also, I cannot do ToT in Orlando or CA, so I will skip that. Q3- other than taking it in, is there anything else I should not miss on a Monday night while very jet lagged?

I have to be all over Japan for the rest of the week, but could squeeze in returning to Tokyo Saturday night and going on Sunday to seeing the land before my flight at 5pm. Q4- what can I expect to get with the extra 15 minutes on a Sunday morning? Q5- Does it seem possible to do Pooh's Honey Hunt, IASW (my favorite ride), get a castle picture & Monsters before noon? I will be at WDW again this year, so I do not need to do the rides that are the same (BTM, HM, Splash, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, dumbo, peter pan). If I can get all of it in, perhaps I do not need to spend the extra $100 the Ambassador to get 15 minutes? Not that the Sheraton is cheap that night...

I am more excited for planning this than the meetings I have to attend between the two days!

Hi there!
I live here in Japan at visit the parks a few times a year (not as much as I'd like). I'll take a stab at some answers.

Q1 - I believe there are lockers at the park but I'm not sure of the size of them, if they'd fit a suitcase. The Maihama train station might have big lockers since people travel to the parks all the time. I can try asking around to see if anyone knows. Depending on the time you arrive at TDR, you might want to go to the Sheraton and check in and drop off your bags. It's a quick ride on the monorail back to the park.
Q2 - Most FPs will probably be gone. Depends on the day/crowd levels. Since Soarin is very new, you're unlikely to get FP for that so late in the day. You'll probably just need to go standby. No FPs for Sinbad but I've never waited more than 5 minutes to ride. I compare it to the 3 Caballeros ridein Epcot. It's really cute, but people never really ride it.
Q3 - Depends on the actual date you go, but the shows at Mediterranean Harbor are always fun and I'd go check for lottery tickets for other shows. When you go into the park, to the left by the gelato stand (before the gondolas), there's a entrance to go in and enter for tickets to shows. You'll find out right then if you win any. I've never seen in (never win lottery tickets) but I hear Big Band Beat is great. TSM is always a favorite for people, but FPs will be gone by the afternoon, but again, stand by. There's a fairly new Nemo ride in the back of the park that's cute, I recommend as it's not a roller coaster.
Q4 - If you're staying at an offical TDR hotel, you get the Happy 15. I've done it before and can be worth it if you have limited time. Basically they let you in the park 30 minutes early. It gives you a chance to get to whichever FP kiosk you want. Then at 15 minutes before park opening, they'll turn on the FP machines. You can then grab your FP and run to the first ride you want for the day. It is only a 15 minute head start, but it can help.
Q5 - You can definintely get those 4 done by noon. Especially if you have the early 15. I'd go in, grab the Monster's FP, then run back to Pooh and ride that first thing. You can then go over to IASW (which typically doesn't have a long line) which is next to Pooh.

If you are not looking to spend as much, I always recommend Sunroute Plaza hotel (partner hotel). I book via hotels.com all the time and it's very inexpensive and offers a bus to the parks or monorail. Ambassador hotel is very nice, but again quite expensive. I've been able to find "deals" for the Disneyland hotel vis hotels.com on occassion as well.

I hope this helps some :)

Q1- 700 JPY for lockers right outside the entrances to both parks and they fit all but the biggest suitcases.
Q2- Soaring should have 140 to 180 minutes of wait and no FP. Sinbad should be easy (less than 15 minutes wait). You may be able to get a FP for Nemo or 20,000 leagues under the sea. King Triton's Concert and The Magic Lamp Theater show should also have FP available. I don't really like the Magic Lamp Theater show but King Triton's Concert can be worth seeing (I think you can ask for a subtitle machine if you need one but looking at it can distract from the show)
Q3- I would recommend people to immediately hit the show lotteries for Festival of Mystique, Big Band Beat and Song of Mirage. Depending on what you win, plan around those shows. This may also be your last chance to see Fantasmic since it will be going away in March. If you don't do Soaring, it'll be pretty easy to hit up Aquatopia and everything in Mermaid Lagoon within an hour or two, especially in the evening. Depending on your level of fatigue and your ability to nap while sitting on the floor in public, it may be better to get spots for shows earlier. Accidentally falling asleep while waiting in line for Soaring can be dangerous due to the stairs.
Q4- Happy 15 is a lot less valuable at Disneyland than Disneysea. You could go on Buzz Lightyear (or grab a FP for Buzz Lightyear) but most people will probably get a head start on the line for Monsters Inc or Pooh's Hunny Hunt.
Q5- Assuming you get a FP for either Pooh's Hunny Hunt or Monsters Inc for before noon, it should be pretty easy to do by rope dropping the other attraction. Even if you don't, it's entirely doable although you won't be doing much else. Unless you plan to shower/eat at the airport, you could take a later bus to the airport and be fine.

Thank you both for your insight!

I'm planning on a carry on and a backpack so the lockers seem fine.
I had not considered the show lottery, but it sounds like trying for it should be relatively quick, and a unique experience if it works out.
My ability to sleep in public is definitely not on par with the locals!
I do not plan to shower or eat at the airport, but I can either get to the airport by bus 2:10 before my flight (I'd be fine with this in Nagoya, but almost missed my flight in Narita with this buffer) or 3 hours. I have not been to HND before, so I am a bit hesitant to go with the 2 hours before an international flight.

Flying out of Haneda is easier than Narita although sometime between July and September, Narita changed the way security works so it's faster for people without priority lane access now. Haneda's priority lane is still restricted to people with upper middle to high tier status with the airline they fly with. Assuming you can't access the priority lane, I think you could leave at 1PM and be fine - the buses from Disneyland to Haneda are every 15 minutes. If you hear the parade starting at 1:25, that's your reminder to get out of there ASAP.

Great advice above.

Just wanted to say that you might want to look into a one night vacation package. It’s not cheap, but having the fast passes will maximize what little time you have in the park.

Last edited:
Great advice above.

Just wanted to say that you might want to look into a one night vacation package. It’s not cheap, but having the fast passes will maximize what little time you have in the park.
Thanks, I couldn't find a one day package, but I plan to keep looking in case there is some cancellation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!