What to do on half day?

ValueBuyer

Earning My Ears
We are visiting Dec 6 to 9. We would be reaching just before noon on 6th and leaving on 6:50 PM flight on Dec 9.

We got tickets for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party at MK on the 6th as it seems we can enter at 4 PM so it fits right with our schedule.

Got 2 day tickets so we can go to Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom on 7th and 8th.

We got a 5 year old and 12 year old, so I am thinking that after 3 back to back days of theme parks, they would be tired on 9th. So I am planning to defer the decision based on how the kids feel that morning.

My choices are (1) Universal or (2) Epcot for Dec 9th if kids are upto it. If not, we would do Gator Land or something like that.

We have been to MK, HS and AK in the past but have never been to Epcot.

I do not want to scramble on 9th if kids want to do a park and want to have a plan for a park ready.

1. To get to the airport from Epcot or Universal, how long does it take to get to the airport? Would starting at 3:30 or 4 PM be sufficient since I have a rental car to return (AVIS)?

2. Can we cover the main attractions of Epcot in 5-6 hours? We have been to universal 2 years back and I have a good idea of what we can cover during that time, but have no idea about Epcot.

3. Any recommendations on what to do during half day. Kids love theme parks, beaches, animals.

Thank you!

If you rope drop 1 Epcot tier one ride and get your 1 tier one FP and 2 tier 2 FP's, you can see a lot of Epcot from about 9-2. If you got a PPO breakfast at Akershus or Garden Grill you could even get your other tier one in, if one of those ADR's is still available. You couldn't tour much of World Showcase. If you got your tier two fast passes for The Seas with Nemo and Friends and or Spaceship Earth/Mission Space depending on their interest, the other rides like the Mexico ride and Journey Into Imagination rarely need fast passes. The decision is which two Tier 1's, Frozen, Soarin', or Test Track to rope drop one and fast pass the other.
I don't think even one of Universal Parks can be seen in a half day. Since you will already be in WDW I think Epcot is easiest.

I would not do Universal because of your time schedule. Even with Express Pass, I don't think you would get your moneys worth.
It is about 30 minutes from EPCOT or Universal to the airport.

For the 9th, you could do Disney Springs, swim in the pool, do minature golf.
Resort hop. Go to Animal Kingdom Lodge, watch the Savannah and have a peaceful lunch.

I wouldn't try cover a new park on a half day, before heading to the airport, it could lead to frustration and sour the trip.
Maybe a character breakfast at one of the resorts if the 5yo is into that?

Such a shame they got rid of Disney quest, this is the sort of gap it filled nicely

I wouldn't defer that decision until the morning of, you'd have to pay for ONE day tickets which if I'm reading the ticket prices is right is more expensive than the price per day if you have 3 day tickets starting on the 7th.

Personally I'm always stressed on departure day about making sure I get back in time for DME and I never enjoy the parks.

I would sleep in, drop my bags at bell services, then scope out another resort or meander through disney springs. Maybe go bowling or see an early movie?

We are visiting Dec 6 to 9. We would be reaching just before noon on 6th and leaving on 6:50 PM flight on Dec 9.

We got tickets for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party at MK on the 6th as it seems we can enter at 4 PM so it fits right with our schedule.

Got 2 day tickets so we can go to Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom on 7th and 8th.

We got a 5 year old and 12 year old, so I am thinking that after 3 back to back days of theme parks, they would be tired on 9th. So I am planning to defer the decision based on how the kids feel that morning.

My choices are (1) Universal or (2) Epcot for Dec 9th if kids are upto it. If not, we would do Gator Land or something like that.

We have been to MK, HS and AK in the past but have never been to Epcot.

I do not want to scramble on 9th if kids want to do a park and want to have a plan for a park ready.

1. To get to the airport from Epcot or Universal, how long does it take to get to the airport? Would starting at 3:30 or 4 PM be sufficient since I have a rental car to return (AVIS)?

2. Can we cover the main attractions of Epcot in 5-6 hours? We have been to universal 2 years back and I have a good idea of what we can cover during that time, but have no idea about Epcot.

3. Any recommendations on what to do during half day. Kids love theme parks, beaches, animals.

Thank you!

If you are truly going to wait until the morning of the 9th, my vote would be Gatorland. The kids will get to see animals, the ticket price is negligible compared to a one-day WDW or Uni ticket and it's not far from the airport.

If you think you would like to go to EP, I would upgrade your current 2-day tickets to 3-day tickets prior to leaving the theme park on Dec. 8. You would save a bit of money doing that over buying 1-day tickets on Dec. 9. If budget isn't an issue and you decide to go to EP, yes, I don think you can see quite a bit of it in 5 - 6 hours. I would try to book FP+ as soon as you can after your ticket purchase.

PPs recommendations of going to Disney Springs is also a good one. You can do the Christmas Tree trail, have lunch, go bowling, do the Star Wars or Wreck it Ralph VR (with your older child), shop, etc.

Echoing everyone else's suggestions - it can sometimes be a bit hectic going to a park on a travel day - particularly if it's one which you haven't been to yet. I would probably hang out at the resort, go to Disney Springs, or check out the outlet malls/etc. (easy to do since you have a rental car).

If you want to plan another park day I would choose Epcot. You could make fastpasses ahead of time. With such a late flight you have until four o'clock to be in the park. I dont think swimming or shopping is any more restful than being in the park.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

I think by end of the day on Sunday, I would have a pretty good idea if the kids want to go to another park. I had no idea that we can upgrade our tickets to 3 day before existing the park at the end of day 2.

Can we go to Animal Kingdom lodge even though we are not staying at a Disney property?

Can we go to Animal Kingdom lodge even though we are not staying at a Disney property?
Most definitely, you can visit any Disney resort whether staying on property or not. AKL is especially stunning, both the lobby and the animal viewing areas. We’ve enjoyed a late breakfast at Boma on departure day more than once.

I don't know how I feel about seeing Epcot for the first time in such a state of disarray. If you know you are coming back in a year or two I might wait until things are pulled back together a bit. For my half day I would get a meal and explore one of the resorts. I love hanging out at Poly... you can get one last Dole Whip to hold you over until next time! Boardwalk is also a cool place to go. You can actually check out Yacht and Beach Club at the same time by either taking the boat across or using the walkway. If you DO go to Epcot, keep in mind that shes not at her best right now and go easy on her... Shes my favorite!

We come usually once every 2-3 years, so I would skip Epcot on this trip.

Animal Kingdom lodge and Gatorland are looking as much better option.

Are there any things to do in Animal Kingdom lodge besides having lunch there and touring the grounds? Are any other resorts worth going as we might have 5-7 hours to spare that day?

Thanks for all the helpful recommendations!

We come usually once every 2-3 years, so I would skip Epcot on this trip.

Animal Kingdom lodge and Gatorland are looking as much better option.

Are there any things to do in Animal Kingdom lodge besides having lunch there and touring the grounds? Are any other resorts worth going as we might have 5-7 hours to spare that day?

Thanks for all the helpful recommendations!

I would visit the deluxe resorts for their Christmas decoration. Do the monorail resorts first and then Lyft/bus it to WL/BC/YC. That would take up time. You could also go to DS for the Christmas tree trail.

I will be there Dec 9-11. I’m arriving late on the 9th so straight to bed for me but on the 10th I’m doing Epcot from 9-3:30 then going to GF & Contemporary for the decorations and then to MK for MVMCP. On the 11th my flight is at 3:50 pm so I’m going to DS for the Christmas tree trail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts