What to do on arrival and departure day!?!?

escriven75

Mouse bars for breakfast!!!
We're putting together our prelim itinerary while waiting for late March 2020 park hours & EMH to become available. We're planning a full week trip for spring break.....8 or 9 park days since the diff between a 7 day ticket and a 9 day is relatively small. We're hoping to fly in nice and early on arrival day and leave later in the afternoon on departure day so that we can hit a park part-day on each of those days as well. We won't have park hoppers. We've been to WDW for spring break quite a few times so other than SWGE we've seen and done lots of things already....meaning we're not trying to see everything new this trip. We will probably stay at POP and ride the ME to the airport.
My question is what do you like to do/ride/eat/see on arrival day and departure day? What parks do you like to open and close with even if it isn't for a full day? What's your favorite to hit if you're not arriving till later in the day (arrival) and if you're leaving late afternoon (departure)? Any favorite to-do's or must eats to kick off your trip or to finish up on an extra magical note? What ride is your favorite FIRST ride or your 'must ride this right before we leave' ride? We will have time to hit all the parks once, some twice and maybe a 3rd for one this time. Just trying to figure out what to do on our half-days when we fly in and fly out......what will get us the maximum amount of magic?!?!?

ETA: if time allows you to visit a park a 3rd time during a stay.....which park would you choose and why?

Last edited:
I personally don't like going to a park on departure day, I'm always stressed about making sure I leave the park on time to get back to my hotel to get my luggage from bell services to get on the magical express. The last time I went to a park on departure day, I think I went to MK?

The last time that I went to a park on arrival day it was AK.

If we are arriving early enough in the day, we'll go to MK because its the best way to kick off your vacation. Nothing feels more Disney than that! If we're arriving a little later, getting dinner in World Showcase and just browsing the countries is a nice way to relax on a travel day.

On departure day, I like to do a mid-morning breakfast/brunch so we aren't rushing to pack up in the morning. We also need to stop at the Resort Airline Check-In desk and visit bell services.

We always do MK on our arrival day. Even arriving at the park at 5 we've been able to do our three FP, a couple of other rides, and a quick dinner and scoot out before the fireworks start so we get a good night's sleep. Last time we went we did a park on departure day, too, since our flight didn't leave until after 9, but we waited and picked whatever park we wanted to go back to one more time. To my surprise, it ended up being Epcot and we got a ton done between 10-2, went back to the resort for a quick swim and dinner and then off to the airport.

I go to the parks every day that I can, including arrival and departure day. This past week we went to MK on both arrival and departure day.

We've never arrived early enough to do parks on arrival, so no thoughts there.

On our most recent trip, I left departure day open for packing and swimming at the resort, and I LOVED it. So much less stressful for the night before, when I've previously had to scramble to pack everything up for the next morning. BUT if I had to choose a park, I'd go to Magic Kingdom and get a FP for Town Square Theater to say "see ya real soon" to Mickey and Minnie.

We always stay on international drive the day we arrive in Orlando because it is mid afternoon. We kind of hit the outlets there, have dinner, and swim at our hotel. We wake up early the next morning and park at our resort and head to the park. By the midday break we have our online checkin text or email with our room number so we skip the front desk. We drive so on departure day we leave right after an early breakfast, it is a long drive home.

My only caution is be careful not to stay out too late if you plan to get up early the next day.
We have made that mistake.

In 2017, we did a week during spring break (first week of March) and went to the Epcot on both arrival and departure days. We arrived at the park around 1:30ish on arrival day and left the park around 3:00 on departure day. Here was out itinerary that trip:

Sat- EP
Sun- AK
Mon- HS
Tue- rest/Disney Springs
Wed- MK
Thu- AK
Fri- MK
Sat- EP

Last fall, we did a long weekend for F&W. We did not do a park on arrival or departure day. This was our schedule:

Wed- lunch at WCC and Disney Springs
Thu- EP
Fri- AK/MNSSHP
Sat- HS
Sun- we all had different departure times we so didn't do anything as a group (I went back to DS)

After that, we decided that we prefer going to a park on arrival day if the flights allow. We're still working out the details for our November trip, but I "think" it's going to look something like this:

Wed- HS
Thu- EP
Fri- DS/MVMCP
Sat- HS
Sun- AK

Some of that is up in the air right now, though. FP day is Saturday so we've got to get a handle on that this week.

We always drive in and we have dinner at Ohana both days first land last day there. We also finish every vacation with a trip to Magic Kingdom that way the kids are set to come back.

When we arrive early, we like to meander over to mini golf and/or Disney Springs after we get settled in. On trips when we're leaving later to head back home, we'll schedule a manicure at the Grand Floridian Senses for the morning we leave. A little last minute Disney pampering before leaving!

I like a nice Disney Springs visit on arrival day (like others have never gotten on property to make a park day worth it). This last trip we did MK and Epcot on departure day (we had hoppers) - MK was great to get one last "hit" of all our favorites (7DMT, Space Mountain) and we did Epcot for F&W but if we only had 1 to choose it would've been MK.

In 2017, we did a week during spring break (first week of March) and went to the Epcot on both arrival and departure days. We arrived at the park around 1:30ish on arrival day and left the park around 3:00 on departure day. Here was out itinerary that trip:

Sat- EP
Sun- AK
Mon- HS
Tue- rest/Disney Springs
Wed- MK
Thu- AK
Fri- MK
Sat- EP

Last fall, we did a long weekend for F&W. We did not do a park on arrival or departure day. This was our schedule:

Wed- lunch at WCC and Disney Springs
Thu- EP
Fri- AK/MNSSHP
Sat- HS
Sun- we all had different departure times we so didn't do anything as a group (I went back to DS)

After that, we decided that we prefer going to a park on arrival day if the flights allow. We're still working out the details for our November trip, but I "think" it's going to look something like this:

Wed- HS
Thu- EP
Fri- DS/MVMCP
Sat- HS
Sun- AK

Some of that is up in the air right now, though. FP day is Saturday so we've got to get a handle on that this week.

Are you going to HS (Wed) on arrival? Are you hoping to get in there and look around SWGE? I was tossing around that idea....going to HS on arrival day so we can check out SWGE on its own....maybe eat there...look around....low pressure. IDK. Its almost tougher to plan when we have 8 or 9 park days at our disposal vs. having time to do each park once and maybe MK twice.

Are you going to HS (Wed) on arrival? Are you hoping to get in there and look around SWGE? I was tossing around that idea....going to HS on arrival day so we can check out SWGE on its own....maybe eat there...look around....low pressure. IDK. Its almost tougher to plan when we have 8 or 9 park days at our disposal vs. having time to do each park once and maybe MK twice.
That is our tentative plan. We're purposefully setting aside 2 days at HS so that we see the SWGE stuff and not feel rushed.

Arrival day, we usually show up around noontime, so we check the bags at our resort and head out to a park. Which one? Whatever bus comes to the bus stop!!! I don't do any Fastpasses or ADRs for this day, so it is kinda fun. Once the room is ready, we might decide to just hang in, eat at QS at our resort and get to bed early. But if we still have some juice, we might go to see fireworks some place. On this next trip, I am planning on doing a bus to MK, then monorail around to see the gingerbread houses and Christmas decoration at those resorts.

Departure day is tradition. MK early, do a few classics, then lunch at Tony's. I know, I know! Everyone hates Tony's, but we get some solid, kinda plain food in us before we fly (bad fliers!), and we love to people watch. Then we head out of the park, waving good bye to Disney until next time!!!

Hmmm so many good ideas. Maybe I'll let the kids vote on a place to eat (dinner most likely) and we'll base the arrival day park on that meal. If we can get some last minute FP+s then great, if not then it is fill our tummies and get a good night sleep to hit the ground running on our first FULL day! Maybe its a good time to test out the Skyliner on arrival day too!

I don't like to "spend a ticket" on half day at the parks, so here's what we like to do:

- We drive, so we typically arrive just about time for mid-afternoon check in.
- After checking out our room and our hotel environs, we go to the grocery store and stock up on drinks and snacks.
- We go somewhere for a light dinner, then have The Kitchen Sink at Beaches & Cream.

On departure day, we pack up and leave. With a drive ahead of us, we want to hit the road.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter