What to do besides theme parks?

DisneyGal24

Always dreaming of Disney! DVC—SSR & AKL
We will be at OKW July 6-11 after spending a week at VBR. We’re looking forward to relaxing by the pool but I know my kids, 14 and 11, will want to do some other things. We will probably avoid Disney Springs due to the mask requirement. Tell me about your favorite attractions (non theme park) and experiences in the Orlando area. What else can we get into?

We will be at OKW July 6-11 after spending a week at VBR. We’re looking forward to relaxing by the pool but I know my kids, 14 and 11, will want to do some other things. We will probably avoid Disney Springs due to the mask requirement. Tell me about your favorite attractions (non theme park) and experiences in the Orlando area. What else can we get into?

Lots of little spots along International Drive - ICON Park, WonderWorks, Top Golf, Kart Racing, escape rooms, I-Fly - https://www.internationaldriveorlando.com/

Loads of mini-golf, along I-Drive and otherwise - Pirate's Cove, Congo River, Lost Caverns

You could also do a road trip to Kennedy Space Center, go on an airboat tour or visit one of the state parks

Andretti Karting has a plethora of air-conditioned activities (in fact, all of them are inside). At night, hit the miniature golf sites. A trip to Fun Spot (on I-Drive) is a good option later in the day. And then there is Gatorland if that's appealing.

Andretti Karting has a plethora of air-conditioned activities (in fact, all of them are inside). At night, hit the miniature golf sites. A trip to Fun Spot (on I-Drive) is a good option later in the day. And then there is Gatorland if that's appealing.
Indoor? Air conditioning? I’m intrigued...go kart fun while not melting in the heat, score! Definitely going to look into this!

I'm not sure if water parks count as not theme parks, but Volcano Bay and Aquatica will both be open.
This could be an option. The kids have enjoyed Typhoon Lagoon in the past. How do they compare to TL? Is Aquatica Sea World’s water park?

We bought a go Orlando pass for three days, it has unlimited attractions so if uou show up and hate it you can just leave.
On day one we did the titanic museum, wonderworks, 4 rides at fun spot Kissimmee, dinner theater day two Kennedy space center and coco beach on day three legoland . We really liked gatorland we did it on our own but its also on the pass. Im not sure what of those things has mask requirements or there guidelines

https://www.groupon.com/deals/go-city-pass-go-orlando-pass-2

Last edited:

This could be an option. The kids have enjoyed Typhoon Lagoon in the past. How do they compare to TL? Is Aquatica Sea World’s water park?
Yes, Aquatica is Sea World's waterpark and Volcano Bay is Universal's. Aquatica is very nice: clean, attractive and with great slides, some of which include animal viewing. It definitely is in the same league as Disney's waterparks, minus the Disney theming (nobody does theming like Disney). If Quick Queue (their line-cutting pass) is available for the day you go, I recommend it. The lines are no worse than at Disney's water parks- just mentioning that they have a line-cutting pass, as Disney's water parks do not.

We haven't been to Volcano Bay before, and are looking forward to our first time on our trip this July. We already have express passes for that one. I'm a sucker for not having to wait long for rides.

Lots of little spots along International Drive - ICON Park, WonderWorks, Top Golf, Kart Racing, escape rooms, I-Fly - https://www.internationaldriveorlando.com/

Loads of mini-golf, along I-Drive and otherwise - Pirate's Cove, Congo River, Lost Caverns

You could also do a road trip to Kennedy Space Center, go on an airboat tour or visit one of the state parks

KSC is requiring visitors to wear masks. ICON park is recommending them, but not requiring them (some stores within the park might require them- I didn't check all the tenant websites). It looks like most (all?) minigolf places are not requiring masks. I'm only mentioning mask requirements since it's an issue for the OP.

I have never been to either of Disney's water parks so I can't really compare but I love both Volcano Bay and Aquatica...been to both several times! :)

KSC is requiring visitors to wear masks. ICON park is recommending them, but not requiring them (some stores within the park might require them- I didn't check all the tenant websites). It looks like most (all?) minigolf places are not requiring masks. I'm only mentioning mask requirements since it's an issue for the OP.
Thanks for letting me know. We will have our masks handy for when they’re needed but I know that none of us want to wear them for an extended period of time in the heat.

Thanks for letting me know. We will have our masks handy for when they’re needed but I know that none of us want to wear them for an extended period of time in the heat.
Definitely check with any place you plan to visit as I suspect most will follow Disney and Universal's lead and require masks, as they should. At least with the indoor attractions, it's air conditioned. I have no desire to walk around out in the heat with a mask on either.

We've done an airboat ride. That's a lot of fun. We also went zip lining which was great. Bok Tower Gardens is beautiful but not sure if it's something your kids would be into.

I think they’d really like the airboat ride. They would probably freak if we saw alligators which I suspect we will. I’m going to check into it.

I looked at Aquatica ticket prices today. I think they’re very affordable at $62 each when purchasing at least one day in advance. With the all day dining, they were $82. Does anyone have experience with the all day dining? DH really likes this option. He said, “so I can eat every hour??”😂

I think Disney has updated mask guidelines for water activities, maybe dates for TL or BB or resort pools will be announced soon.

I think Disney has updated mask guidelines for water activities, maybe dates for TL or BB or resort pools will be announced soon.
I am really curious about this. I hope they’ll release more information soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!