what time were you in bed for on a school night?

Funny true story… I had a TV in my room as a kid & stayed up LATE watching Nick @ Nite (Dick Van Dyke, Patty Duke, I dream of Jeannie etc). If my parents came in & I was still awake they often left the tv on, this was before remotes, well I remember having a sliding remote… anyhow, once in 5th grade a math question asked what time do you go to bed and I honestly answered 2am-Nick @ Nite showed the time shows were coming on so I knew what the last show I watched was. I got an X on that answer and a handwritten note that read “That’s not an appropriate bed time”. 🤷🏻‍♀️

9pm when I was younger, and around 10pm or so when I was a bit older.
This until I was about 14.
The last 2 years of high school I had no prescribed bedtime and when I went to bed later it was due to needing to complete schoolwork. Changed drastically for future generations. My youngest son whined his way into a later bed time and then imposed an earlier bedtime for his daughter 🤣

10 to 10.30pm

up at 8am
Wow, you slept in. When I was school age school started at 8 am. 7 am if you had "zero" period. They changed the law here last year and High School start time can't be before 8:30 am now. Elementary still starts at 7:45 am and Junior High School can still start at 8 am.

Elementary School was 9, later grades 11 - I’ve always been a night owl…

This until I was about 14.
The last 2 years of high school I had no prescribed bedtime and when I went to bed later it was due to needing to complete schoolwork. Changed drastically for future generations. My youngest son whined his way into a later bed time and then imposed an earlier bedtime for his daughter 🤣
Funny how that works?!?

I had a strict bed time as a child/teen of 10 PM.

I had a strict curfew even while I was living at home and going to college. My father was unreasonable but I was not going to give up free rent. I had to be home by 11, but people could come over and hang out until 2 AM. When my oldest turned 18 (while in HS) my father thought I was being unreasonable still holding my HS senior to a curfew and had no recollect that at age 21 I still had a curfew! LOL

I remember most clearly when I was about 8 years old. Bedtime was 8 PM. This is burned in my memory because The Flintstones was a new show I wanted desperately to watch… but it came on at 8 PM so it was a no go for me.

Wow, you slept in. When I was school age school started at 8 am. 7 am if you had "zero" period. They changed the law here last year and High School start time can't be before 8:30 am now. Elementary still starts at 7:45 am and Junior High School can still start at 8 am.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing - school started at 8AM- maybe even 7:45.

I also had to walk...up hill...both ways...in 4 feet of snow... ;)

Well not really - but did have to walk and it was just under a mile.
No rides or buses in those days...and you walked to school in all sorts of weather.

I still live in the same house and there is now a bus, but for the most part no one takes it and the parents drop the kids off.

I don’t recall the time but I still remember having to go to bed and hearing all the other neighborhood kids still playing.
I remember this too. Up until 8th grade, my parents made me/us (I'm the oldest), go to bed at 8pm, even in the summer. At 8pm in the summer, it's still light out! It gradually got later, but even by late high school, if I wasn't ready for bed by 10pm on a school night, I got a lecture about time management.

We did get up early though. Went to Catholic school and the bus ride took an hour. School started at 7:30.

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking the same thing - school started at 8AM- maybe even 7:45.

I also had to walk...up hill...both ways...in 4 feet of snow... ;)

Well not really - but did have to walk and it was just under a mile.
No rides or buses in those days...and you walked to school in all sorts of weather.

I still live in the same house and there is now a bus, but for the most part no one takes it and the parents drop the kids off.
Our school district somehow in the 1950's managed to build their schools on a grid so that no elementary school was more than half a mile away of any student's house. No Junior high school was more than 1 mile away from any student's house. And no High School was more than 2 miles from any student's house.
I was in school 1962-1975 and we DID have a bus available for elementary school and high school, although I frequently walked or rode my bike to elementary school. Junior high school, my mom worked graveyard shift and would drop me off before going to bed, but I walked home, or sometimes rode my bike to and from. High school, I rode the bus until my senior year when I got a car.
But that doesn't work anymore has they have closed a whole bunch of schools due to declining enrollment. And about 24 years ago they went to open enrollment and it seems no student goes to their assigned school, so they discontinued bus service except for special needs students, which Federal law requires they provide bus service for.
My mom grew up on a farm, in Canada, so lots of walking to school in the snow. Except the one room school house was on the corner of my Grandfather's land, he donated it to the school district. Oh, and my Grandparents rented out a room to the school teacher. Can you imagine having to LIVE with your teacher?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter