What time does Magical Express deliver luggage by if your plane lands around 530pm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just say for example you get off the plane at 9:45, the airport workers that unload the plane dont start loading and moving the luggage carousel until 9:50 and likely wont finish loading until well after 10:00. Do the workers at DME wait at the carousel for all the luggage to come off that flight? Or do they take it before it even makes it to the carousel? I've never seen what they do or how they do it.

As long as the plane touches down by 10:00, the bags with DME tags on them get put aside for delivery that night.

I've heard, and experienced, of luggage taking more than 5-7 hours to arrive at the resort. Our luggage wasn't delivered until 1am on one trip. I would never use the luggage service if I was flying in later than 3pm or so. I would just collect my own.

Yes, you can ask the front desk to hold your luggage. We just got back from a trip and that's what we did. Landed around 9:30 p.m. and knew that while we met the 10:00 p.m. 'cut off' for luggage handling, we just didn't want to stay up or run the risk of a knock at the door at 2 a.m. So we asked the desk to hold our luggage and the next morning, we called and let them know we were up and ready. 10 minutes later we had our bags. Also, we knew this was going to be our plan, so we packed our carry on luggage appropriately for overnight & next day stuff. :-)

This is super helpful - thank you! I think we'll probably go with this option and just pack in the carry ons accordingly. Sounds like it's something the hotels are super used to doing anyway.

If you absolutely want it that night and don't want to wait up, I would say pick it up yourself. If you are okay with them holding it overnight, I would wait until you are ready to go to bed, and then if it has not yet arrived, I would go down to bell services to ask them to just hold it overnight. Actually, we discovered if it gets to the resort really late, they will hold it without you asking even if you are sitting there waiting for it.

We typically arrive before 5 and have never had an issue getting our luggage within the 3 hour window with arrivals at 5 or earlier; however, night time arrivals are a whole different matter.

This happened in 2017, but I still have not forgotten it. Our flight got in between 7 and 7:30. We were staying at YC. At 11:00 p.m. we still had not gotten our luggage, so we went down to the front desk. We were told that when people come in on evening flights if there are not that many people coming in to that specific resort that evening, they hold the luggage until the last flight eligible for ME luggage service that has people coming to that resort arrives (usually 10:00 p.m.). We were told they do that so they do not have to make multiple trips to a specific resort for just a few pieces of luggage. We were told that we could expect our luggage to arrive around 12:30 or 1:00 a.m. They would not have brought it to our room that late and we would just have gotten it the next morning had we not advised we wanted it as soon as it arrived. DH went downstairs when it had not arrived by 12:40 to check on it and stayed down there until it arrived (just before 1:00) and had them give it to him downstairs and he brought it up himself- so we wouldn't have to wait for bell services or have them coming to the room door that late. We have never had an issue with ME luggage delivery before and we were never warned that was a possibility for an evening flight. The CM at the front desk made it sound like this was a VERY common occurrence and that if your flight arrived at 7:00 p.m. or later on a low or moderate crowd WDW time, that it would be pretty expected.

This is good to know! We'll be staying at YC as well, but not a low or moderate crowd time (unless July is considered moderate...not sure?), but I still like to know that this may be an option. It'll help me freak out less if the bags haven't arrived by bed time, since it's a common thing. Thanks!

I've heard, and experienced, of luggage taking more than 5-7 hours to arrive at the resort. Our luggage wasn't delivered until 1am on one trip. I would never use the luggage service if I was flying in later than 3pm or so. I would just collect my own.

5-7 hours after what? When the plane landed, or when you arrived at the resort? It makes all of the difference.

Too many people start timing Disney when their plane lands. When your plane lands does not factor into when your bag will arrive. Disney aims to have your bags to you within 3-4 hours of you arriving at the resort. Roughly (very roughly) 5 1/2-6 hours of so after a plane lands, typically.

You won't catch me wasting time at the airport collecting my bags unless I have to. No need to waste time in the airport when you can be on your way to your resort.

If you reach your gate after 10 PM they are clear that it is your responsibility to get your own luggage. If you don't pick it up it sits, unattended, in the airport all night and is picked up by DME in the morning and then delivered.
Yes, unclaimed luggage stays in the airport, but in a locked office or cabinet.
We were told they do that so they do not have to make multiple trips to a specific resort for just a few pieces of luggage.
This makes no sense. Each resort doesn't have its own dedicated fleet of trucks. Just as with passengers, luggage going to several resorts is all caged separately but loaded on one truck.
Can I ask a silly question, we wont have luggage tags because we are international. Do we just collect our bags and take them to the magical express?

We arrive about 6:30pm so hoping we won’t be separated from our bags at all.
If you hope not to be separated from your bags, pick it up yourself from baggage claim. If you want to have DME deliver it, show your claim checks to the CM.

I once flew in late, but before the ME luggage collection window closed. I think I got to POR around 10 after the ME dropped me off. I asked the front desk to hold it until the morning since I just wanted to go to sleep. I packed a carry on with my tooth brush and PJs.

Goto baggage claim. Put your luggage on your DME bus and when you get to the resort you’ll have it right then. We always just take the luggage ourselves. Just don’t use the DME. Luggage tags.

Can I ask a silly question, we wont have luggage tags because we are international. Do we just collect our bags and take them to the magical express?

We arrive about 6:30pm so hoping we won’t be separated from our bags at all.
YES this is by far the easiest way to begin with. It’s how we do it. You will have your luggage right there on the bus with you. Well, stored down below. But you’ll have them right when you get to resort. This is a easy and imho best way to utilize DME. You always have your bags.

Goto baggage claim. Put your luggage on your DME bus and when you get to the resort you’ll have it right then. We always just take the luggage ourselves. Just don’t use the DME. Luggage tags.

Wait, you put your luggage on the bus but then don't use/ride the bus yourselves?

I'm flying SW at the end of August, my plane won't land until 8:55pm. I'm planning on just packing pjs and next days clothes in my carry on as well as toothbrush and a small travel toothpaste and having the resort hold until morning. I don't want to hang around the airport to pick up luggage while I could be starting my vacation.

YES this is by far the easiest way to begin with. It’s how we do it. You will have your luggage right there on the bus with you. Well, stored down below. But you’ll have them right when you get to resort. This is a easy and imho best way to utilize DME. You always have your bags.
I totally disagree. IMHO having DME handle my luggage is the easiest and best way to get to WDW.

Disneypro1 was responding to my question about how it works where they don’t ship the magic bands or luggage tags overseas.
What is your point?
I still disagree with his statement. I prefer to have DME handle my luggage.

Too many people start timing Disney when their plane lands. When your plane lands does not factor into when your bag will arrive. Disney aims to have your bags to you within 3-4 hours of you arriving at the resort. Roughly (very roughly) 5 1/2-6 hours of so after a plane lands, typically.
This, exactly. Longer if there's lightning nearby when the plane lands.
Goto baggage claim. Put your luggage on your DME bus and when you get to the resort you’ll have it right then
Assumes one's luggage was put on the plane correctly. Ideally, anyone doing this is aware that it's appropriate to tip amyone who handles one's luggage: porter, bus driver, bell person...
YES this is by far the easiest way to begin with.
No, really, the easiest way to begin is to tag one's cjecked luggage and not have to stop for or even think about it until it's delivered to the room. Claiming one's own luggage is the antithesid of easy. Carrying on whatever one needs for the first 24-36 hours at the destination (even if that destination is home) makes it even easier. Never know when the airline is going to delay or misdirect luggage.

Wait, you put your luggage on the bus but then don't use/ride the bus yourselves?
How did you come to that?? I said put it on bus. Then when you get to resort. Never said not to ride the bus. Lol

Last edited:
Disneypro1 was responding to my question about how it works where they don’t ship the magic bands or luggage tags overseas.
There is a few people on this thread that’s kinda out of the loop. It is always easier to take luggage with you on bus. That’s just a simple fact. Its was a subject on wdw radio. Basically becoming more popular that using the tags. The tags is kinda not the in thing anymore. More and more people are just taking their luggage on the bus. Just too easily done not to.

Last edited:
Yep. Always do it yourself. Than nothing can get messed up. More folks every day is taking luggage on bus themselves. Many more according to a popular travel site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter