What the perfect ending to your trip?

princess kerri

Earning My Ears
(I'm still getting used to the abbreviations - DD, DW etc so just going to save myself the embarrassment of getting it wrong on this post I shall write full name's ;) )

My parents and I are planning a trip to Disney in October this year hopefully (if not, it'll be about this time next year). It will be the first time for my 80+ yr old grandmother. So we're planning to take it slow
I want to have something special planned for our last night there to capture the magic. Last year my parent's suprised me by booking us a table at California Grille. Now until that night I had never seen Fantasy in the Sky fireworks, seen MK quite late at night or set foot in a Disney hotel. So I was in heaven and wandered around for ages

So now I'd like to ask you what you may have done or think would be special? :D

Fantasmic!, a Disney Studios was the 2nd to last (Osborne Lights were the last) thing we saw during our week in WDW. It made me feel all magical. IllumiNations at Epcot is also very entertaining and memorable.

I never wait to do or see any attraction until the last night just in case of weather or we can't get in or it was cancelled for any reason. You may be very disappointed. Please don't wait until the last day to see Fantasmic! or IllumiNations unless it doesn't matter whether it happens or not!

hi jodi! thanks for that advice... I fancy doing Fantasmic! or Spectro Magic etc but I think we'll plan it into our schedule earlier if we can, then if we want that or another parade on the last night it wouldn't be such a loss if the weather was bad.

I already had that disappointment last year, it was sunny till about 5pm and we were about to go for dinner at MGM and it pored...and never stopped

We always, always go to the Magic Kingdom. Then, on our way out, with our heads hung heavily, I stop at the train station tunnel, turn around, and look back up Main Street. I breathe in all the magic energy I can and say good by until next time. Ahhhh, I'm tearing up at the thought of it and we're not even there yet!:( ( By the way, this is Lucy's mom. Her dad does the same thing, but he wouldn't admit to it.;) )

ah dads! They're all big softies at heart
I was thinking that a character breakfast or something might be nice on the last day too if we can get ressies, of course I'm thinking of my grandma here ;) but I just love the thought of planning some things again then going with the flow :Pinkbounc

I agree...dont wait to do any "must do's" until the last night.

We have had some good last nights..

Once, when we had my whole family(10 of us) we finished off the trip with the Hoop De Doo.

2 years ago, we didnt have any real plans for our last night as we had added on an extra day sort of last minute. We had switched over to the Poly for that day, so we went to Chef Mickeys for breakfast and then the MK. We stayed for the SADCT parade(soft opening, at the time), then headed back to the Poly. Heres we we had no plans but it turned out great. We swam in the volcano pool, and caught the torch lighting ceremony. Then we washed up and went to the Kona Cafe for dinner(it was then I found out thats my favorite WDW restaurant). We caught the EWP on the beach, then headed back to the Tambu lounge for 1 last tropical drink, while watching the castle change colors. This was sentimental for me because this was how DH & I spent the last night of our honeymoon, during a hurricane. ;)

Last year we finished the trip with dinner at the Kona, then back to the MK for FITS, while we had dessert of icecream from the Main St parlor. While it was a nice finish, it was pouring out so it sort of put a damper on the night.

Now that I think of it, I think anything can be a special last night since it will be your final memory until the next time. :)
Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Here's what we did on our last two trips:

1. Thursday night - Mickey's Backyard BBQ at Wilderness Lodge. Friday morning - no time for a park visit - we had a family photo session at our resort with Disney Event Productions and then headed for the airport.

2. Friday departure - headed over to the MK for lunch at the Crystal Palace. Wandered around the park a bit - I think the only thing we actually rode was Buzz Lightyear. Then we rode in the first car of the monorail on our final trip back to the TTC. Got great video of DS 2 taking in the scenery from that front car.

Experience Illuminations from a private pontoon boat. After having seen it from land, a water view provides quite a unique perspective...

We normally go to Downtown Disney for some shopping. If you are looking for something "magical", how about a fireworks cruise?

On the evening of our last day at Disney, after we close up w/the parks, we go to Downtown Disney and get anything we wanted to pick up but hadn't. Then, we sit at the umbrella covered tables near the water and drink our Ghiradelli chocolate milkshakes (no other flavor will do). We reminisce about our vacation, what our highlights were and when we're coming back! It's always nice to end on a high note!

Thank you for all your suggestions :D We're considering now doing a boat cruise, even tho I read these boards a lot it never actually crossed my mind lol so we're going to find out more.

Might also dine at the Fort Wilderness (forgot the restaurants name :o ) or Victoria and Albert but I think we'd rather a boat on the last night if we can.

And most of the other suggestions might be loosely fitted in somewhere else :Pinkbounc

our last day at WDW - that evening is an e-night - what a perfect way to end our vacation. our day we plan on visiting all the parks in true commando style! of course now ending with MK e-night

on my last night, since we were on a school trip, it was prescheduled, so we went to downtown disney when it was raining. we stayed in the virgin megastore all night.. i layed on the giant bean bag with my boyfriend. not very disney-ish, but very special to me.

On our last night, we had been in the MK on day on an EE day, left the park just before closing fireworks, boarded the WL launch and saw some of the fireworks from the boat (that was special). We strolled by the WL pool went up to the bridge over the spring and had a good look at the lobby, went to Roaring Forks and had a chow down before driving back to Fort Lauderdale. DS was asleep in the car before we even reached the turnpike.

No ritual but the boat launch, fireworks, pool,bridge, spring and lobby made for a fitting close to a wonderful trip

Great thread

thanks
jaysue

Definitely either the Illuminations cruise or the MK fireworks cruise!!!

--Illuminations Cruise

--Dinner in the castle timed to see fireworks through the windows

--Dinner at a monorail resort or WL, followed by a boat launch ride and the Poly beach timed with fireworks and/or Electrical Water Pageant

--Fantasmic Dinner Package

--A final evening visit to MK to hit a few choice attractions that show well at night--Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Tomorrowland Transit Authority, and the Kiss Goodnight.

--A final evening at Epcot to see the FW fountain perform, a nice meal, and lluminations, then exit through International Gateway for a final stroll/boat ride around Boardwalk area.

The perfect ending to any trip is seeing the MK lite up at night as we walk away...I dunno..I just get goosebumps whenever I see the castle.

also - the PERFECT ending, is having a (free) limo instead of a town car show up to pick you up from your resort to take you to the airport...that was a VERY nice surprise! Thank you Happy Limo!
:)

We are very compulsive about having to say goodbye to the castle and Main Street the night before we leave -- and talking about our next trip!

Although we did this on Thanksgiving night, (too cold to recommend to anyone going that time of year) I would also take a fireworks cruise. My family of 5, dh's parents, sis and BIL took an MK fireworks cruise. It was a calm, relaxing, and intimate family time that allowed us a beautiful view of the fireworks over the castle. Especially with an older person in your group, it's nice to slow things down and do something quiet. I think she'll appreciate that, and it may be one of the most memorable moments of your trip. My 11 and 8 yr. olds even got to take turns driving.

On the day we leave, we have a late character breakfast before beginning our 15 hr. drive home. I'd think the b-fast at 1900 Park Fare would be wonderful for your grandma who might appreciate Alice in Wonderland and Mary Poppins more than some other Disney characters, not to mention more than some kids. If that really doesn't sound appealing, you could take her to the Grand Floridian Cafe. There are good pictures of restaurants at www.mouseplanet.com.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!