What Roy Disney's granddaughter has to say about Iger

Yes, he was taking care of it and had 43% of shareholders in support of him, yet she wasn't in the picture at all. The point is she wasn't involved in that and could have shown support along with the other 43%. Also, while it didn't seem an issue to Roy, the same issue she is complaining now was an issue that was occurring back then. Which was not that long ago.

I can't change your opinion, as much as you can't change mine. It's good that she's finally saying something, but it still doesn't change the fact that I feel there are ulterior reasons for her to speak up now, or that she comes off as oblivious considering how long this has been an issue. I have my reasons to "discount her" as much as you have reasons to praise her.

Honestly the reasons you have given here to discount her do not explain anything.

I can’t prove or disprove what the pay rate is for Disney employees. But if is as bad as has been said, then someone needs to speak up and she has.

But if every time someone points out a wrong in Disney or any company, we discount their views because they didn’t speak up previously, we will never move forward. Wrongs will never be righted.

It honestly doesn’t matter what she did or didn’t do in the past. What matters or should is whether what she says now is true here in the present.

Lets take this conversation about availability of Jobs into a more drastic spectrum of the conversation.

Disneypro claims there are well paying jobs in his area that anyone who wants can apply for and make a well deserving wage to take care of his family. I would like to say that generalization is completely wrong, Lets say someone who just got back from overseas and was in the military, sacrificed for his or her country and sadly came back some sort of physically handicapped. Lets sadly say this person is confined to a wheel chair. Can this said person apply and get a job as a natural gas well laborer or even a plumber in Disney Pros town. The answer is no. Lets say this person also because they served in the military didnt go to college yet because they were serving in the military but lets say during this time of service they were able to start a family and even with the governments help still are struggling to cover more than the basics to live. Lets say this same veteran is a proud american and besides a handicap that limits them to a wheel chair, they still want to work and still can, just not at that physically demanding of a job. Should said veteran without a college education without any other specialized training be able to work and afford to pay for there family? I would argue that yes they should be, I would argue that the most american dream principles are that if you work hard you should be able to succeed and provide for your family, regardless of you physical limitations or where you have to work. Lets also argue now that this person is in Orlando or Anehiem and the biggest employer in the Area Disney has a job that they can do, its close to that persons house and the commute is doable. I feel that they should be able to make wage that allows them to live.

Now lets put this into context from my personal point of view. I am a highly educated white male in my 30s, I make a above average salary and I have no problems getting a job. My work is not a physical labor but I am lucky enough that yes with my hard work I was able to land a job that pays me well and I have zero disabilities. In saying that I know other people who followed the path of go to school, get a degree, and because of the lack of job openings in the degree they got, they are forced to take a job that is lower pay and not what they went into debt to obtain. I argue that regardless of that situation which is a completely different conversations, these people who also worked hard and followed the path all younger people are told to follow, should still be able to work at a job that allows them to take care of there families and still pay off there student loans, which still need to be paid.

Honestly at the end of the day this arugement about Disney and them paying there workers a living wage is larger then just one corporation, the reason we focus on Disney is because its a microcosm that each of us on this board love and take a interest in. No matter what is argued as a nation we have become so entrenched in believing what we believe to be right that no one is going to change their mind. What I find alot of people who disagree with raising the minimum wage is that these people also have other issues with the changes that are going on in society. They have a different world view colored purely on their own experiences and situations, which is perfectly fine, everyone is entitled to their own position. That their version of the American Dream is different then other individuals. I have tons of family members who are like that, who grew up and work in blue collar jobs, who had completely different challenges growing up then the current largest generation in the work force and as such have different values. I am not saying anyone is wrong for having strong convicitions because I also believe it is those convictions that allow us to be individuals. My ownly issue is that people believe only what they want to believe and never try and imagine what its like to be in another persons shoes. My statement above about the hypothetical solider, is me doing that exact same exercise, trying to imagine to best of my limited capabilities how someone else might have issues finding these high paying but low skill jobs. Yes it is a drastic end of the spectrum and I chose that for that very reason. Yet there are many many different examples why the hold work and keep moving sentiment does not always lead to a stable living wage. This is not the place or time, but we could go into so many different reasons why someone may not be able to get or perform in those high paying low skill jobs, that are really a back bone of the arguement for some to not raise the minimum wage.

At the end of the day my argument which is of topic for his thread is that, as a large corporate leader, with as many divisions and lines of income should easily be able to take care of the lowest skilled workers within the Corporation. There are reasons why other large Corporations have stop trying to fight the raise of the minimum wage, ex Walmart, Amazon, its because these corporations at the end of the day find its going to cost them more to fight the raise of minimum wage then it is to actually generate some good PR and provide for their employees better. The Minimum wage argument is completely different for large corporations compared to small business owners, and alot of people confuse the two when defending the positions.

Disney can and will eventually end up having to pay there cast members more money, Disney already knows it, Disney is aware that the very reasons that DisneyPro points out exist, there are alot of jobs out their in the economy people can do. That fact in itself will mean Disney will have to raise wages to compete with these other jobs if they want to stay fully staffed. The thing is, that when it comes from a Corporate stand point, the best course of action is to delay and slowly roll out these increases in wages, so it is spread out over multiple quarters. That is what Disney is trying to do thats what most big businesses try to do, they try to draw it out to maximize profits. At the end of the day the Argument many are having isnt really will Disney raise the wage of Cast members when when and how quickly should they do it.

Now after all of this rant is done, I would like to apologize for pointing out DisneyPro, I am not trying to say anything about DisneyPro as a individual nor do I begrudge them for their view point, I am not trying to offend or enrage anyone. The whole point of this post was to give the counter argument and provide anther viewpoint for others to see. This post is purely a counter point and counter argument to a side of a conversation that is going on throughout the US and isnt related solely to Disney. Feel free to comment as you will, I welcome all view points.

There is a reason why the average tenure of an employee these days is getting lower. Long gone are the days people stick with a job for 20, 30 or 40 years. This is more true for people under 40 or so. I can only speak for myself and my peers and what I see in people getting in to the job market (I'm 38). My line of work is mostly engineers, sales, marketing and business development from entry level to senior leadership.

Right now your typical raise per year (if you get one) is around 2-4%, if you want to get a good raise you have to leave and get another job. This is broadly speaking of course, but I talk to 100s of people a year (personally) with a much of different jobs and positions in the industrial/manufacturing world. You're seeing an expectation of not staying in the same job more than 5 years because you will be stuck and under valuing yourself.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, should always be on the look out for a new job. Always. Even if you don't plan on leaving at all because you love the company you work for and the job you do, you should always know what you're worth and what other people are willing to pay you. Use that information to leverage better pay in your current job. Companies are not looking out for you, only you can do that.

I've known people working in a single place for 7+ years and they eventually move on and are shocked by how much more money they are making, we're talking 20-40% more.

Last edited:
There is a reason why the average tenure of an employee these days is getting lower. Long gone are the days people stick with a job for 20, 30 or 40 years. This is more true for people under 40 or so. I can only speak for myself and my peers and what I see in people getting in to the job market (I'm 38). My line of work is mostly engineers, sales, marketing and business development from entry level to senior leadership.

Right now your typical raise per year (if you get one) is around 2-4%, if you want to get a good raise you have to leave and get another job. This is broadly speaking of course, but I talk to 100s of people a year (personally) with a much of different jobs and positions in the industrial/manufacturing world. You're seeing an expectation of not staying in the same job more than 5 years because you will be stuck and under valuing yourself.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, should always be on the look out for a new job. Always. Even if you don't plan on leaving at all because you love the company you work for and the job you do, you should always know what you're worth and what other people are willing to pay you. Use that information to leverage better pay in your current job. Companies are not looking out for you, only you can do that.

I've known people working in a single place for 7+ years and they eventually move on and are shocked by how much more money they are making, we're talking 20-40% more.

I completely agree, if your in a big corporation, that you like you should also continuously apply for other jobs within the Corporation. In my job every time I move positions, I look for jobs that will increase my salary by at least 10 to 15k, because the 2 to 4 percent pay raise doesn't keep up with inflation. But that is just me and the corp I work for, if they stopped allowing me to move up and take more home then I would look outside this company, I feel its important to always value yourself as a luxury commodity, if your company cant afford to keep you, there is always another who can. You should always look out for yourself especially if you want more than just a living wage, eventually you will reach a ceiling but if your good at what you do, that ceiling will place you in the top pay scale for the area you are living in and if your able to be mobile and move, then you can chase that as well.

In saying that your second sentence is part of the problem and misconception that alot of people of older generations who had parents or who themselves experienced working for a company for 40 plus years have had with the raise to a living wage. Its hard for those individuals to align the changes in corporate america and wallstreet and the current experience younger and mid career employees are facing, with the ones they experienced or their parents experienced. People forget the average household income in in 1990 was 54k the purchasing power of that is equivalent is 103 almost 104 thousand in todays figures. Instead the average household income in the US is only 7 thousand dollars more at 61k. SO yeah if you started working 30 years ago, it was great you got a job and were making the median your 54k could afford you alot more purchasing power than the 61k average worker makes now. The average American household has lost the equivalent of over 40k a year in purchasing power.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/200838/median-household-income-in-the-united-states/

In saying that the Corporate Americas profit though durring that time has gone from about 300 billion dollars a year in 1990 Corporate Profit to over 2000 billion a year as of april 2019. This is where the American households purchasing power has went.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/corporate-profits
So when people are saying that they want others to have a living wage, it isnt because someone doesnt appreciate that someone else worked hard to get where they are at, its because this data is out their showing how much the American public has lost due to increased corporate greed, and the changing of corporate america to no longer caring about the people they employ. If companies did care, then these statistics wouldn't exist. I appreciate and understand alot of people have worked hard and struggled and picked themselves up from their bootstraps to get to where they are making a comfortable living, I dont begrudge your pride in doing so. what I am saying look at your current situation from 1990 wherever you were. In 1990 you were more likely at the bottom rung of your career, lets say your household took in that average 54k a year, now 30 years later you have worked hard and long and played by the rules, if you arent making 104k now then really you slid backwards, all your hard work was great but you work didnt make you any richer you just lined the pockets of your corporation at a much higher rate they they lined yours. In my opinion you should be angry at that, that you worked so hard and you are now making less in spending power than you did 30 years ago. You shouldn't be mad at the person who wants to be able to live off of their job, you should be mad at the corporations that have refused to raise pay to keep up with inflation, only to make themselves richer and the rest of america poorer.

Companies like Disney like to push the Corporate Citizenship angle, but to be honest, most corporations dont actually follow the tenets of what the idea of a Corporate Citizen should be, they tend to follow it only when its good PR and not when it cuts into the historically high profit margins. Disney we know is a company out to make money, and I am all for them doing so, I dont complain when they raise prices for me to go to the parks, I still pay it, I see value in the experience and services they provide. I would just like to see, that some of my money actually goes to the people who help make my vacations the things I cherish. This includes the unseen hands that the modern american tipping culture cant reach (dont worry I am not going to go into how tipping is another form of corporate welfare), like the grounds keepers who maintain the resorts, to the security guards that keep the parks safer, to the monorail, bus and other transportation technicians who keep the fleet running. Alot of unseen hands go into making my vacations memorable and I would like Disney to take care of these people with the increases in profits they keep pushing onto my vacations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter