What personal trait has gotten you in trouble but also helped you

I grew up at 2nd and Snyder, although now I live right across the bridge in New Jersey. You?

Really? I was from 2nd and McKean. Not sure how old you are but my grandparents owned Lochel's Bakery.

I am extremely anxious about everything. It has a (very) few positives to it, including the fact that because I worry about money and the future so much I don't spend my money on a lot of stupid things like others my age. But I also overthink everything, even the smallest of things, which really inhibits my ability to just 'go with it'. Having to plan EVERYTHING is not fun.

Really? I was from 2nd and McKean. Not sure how old you are but my grandparents owned Lochel's Bakery.

Wow! Lochel's was just a pinch before my time but my aunt remembers the bakery well. They lived at Moyamensing and Snyder, next door to what was a pizza parlor on the corner.

I might not seem so here on the Dis, but I'm actually pretty mouthy. Speaking my mind-let's just say *firmly*- has gotten me into trouble, but it's helped clear the air, too. It took me decades to stand up for myself and actually say 'no' sometimes.

I get you!!
After being pushed around ( physically and emotionally) by a creep of a boyfriend in my early 20's, I came out of that standing my ground, speaking my mind and just having a "tude" at times. So be it!

I am a very non-confrontational person. As a manager, the people who worked for me loved it. I treated them well and they worked hard for me. Sadly, that was not what upper management considered the best managerial style. Most of the managers (mostly men) tended to use the intimidation management style. I had no issues with finding great people who wanted to work for me. They were very loyal and hardworking. It did hold me back in some ways corporately.

I have resting “B” face, and it can make me seem unapproachable and unfriendly. Even though I’m very nice, sometimes my face says otherwise. Not great when trying to meet new people but it is awesome in crowds and the city. I never get bothered or pulled into random conversations I don’t want to be in.

Bluntness/being direct lol

I can only take so much with people, then I call them out. On the flip side, I clear misunderstandings up with people before the drama gets too far. It's a good and bad thing. I'm not good at BS.

I am a very non-confrontational person. As a manager, the people who worked for me loved it. I treated them well and they worked hard for me. Sadly, that was not what upper management considered the best managerial style. Most of the managers (mostly men) tended to use the intimidation management style. I had no issues with finding great people who wanted to work for me. They were very loyal and hardworking. It did hold me back in some ways corporately.
I've seen that in action unfortunately (and I'm sorry that happened to you). I would also say it can depend on the industry as well as exactly where you work.

The supervisors (they didn't have managers just called supervisors) were mostly female at the insurance company I worked at. Unfortunately they were normally too drama filled and worked too often on preferential treatment; even though I was a receipient of that preferential treatment at times I didn't like that it was the way the supervisor operated. You normally found yourself grappling with liking that shift but def. not that supervisor during shift bids. The male supervisors tended to be more laid back (with exception to 2 of them), more understanding and easier to conversationally talk with. There was less variance in methods of measuring performance which actually made it easier to work rather than be with 1 supervisor who praised X feature of you and then move to another supervisor who disliked that same feature.

Unfortunately, many think that if you're not a dictator, you're not a boss.

I've always said this. Why would I ever hire someone who I had to micromanage and intimidate? I'm hiring the person that I DON'T have to do those things. If I had that little confidence in someone doing their job, I wouldn't hire them in the first place. Nor would I keep them.

I'm smart (like "my mother had me tested" smart), but I often refer to it as stupid smart. because I instantly see so many possible solutions to things that I overlook the obvious or just become overwhelmed and immobilized.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter