• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"What ocean are we on?" - An Aulani/Hawaii Honeymoon Trip Report! NOW COMPLETE & WITH PHOTOS!

We got a great deal on First Class seats on the way home, so we're doing that! Otherwise, we would've stayed overnight on the west coast on the way home. I cannot sleep on red eyes, and getting the hotel on our last trip made for a much happier adjustment back to the Eastern Time Zone.

First class on Delta to ATL is great - you get lie flat seats! I've done that route a few times. Much better to try to sleep!

I've really enjoyed reading this! Especially as we are hoping to island hop later this year. Thanks so much for sharing

Wonderful trip report. I am also from Buffalo and starting to plan our trip for 2018 so your pictures and report was very informative. Thanks for taking the time and Congratulations on your marriage.

Wonderful trip report. I am also from Buffalo and starting to plan our trip for 2018 so your pictures and report was very informative. Thanks for taking the time and Congratulations on your marriage.

@mom2rose&john and anyone else in the general Buffalo vicinity...in case you dont know, there have been some incredible flight prices out of Toronto to Hawaii over the last little while. I know it seems like a backward way to go but if you consider the Canadian/American exchange rate is roughly 30% you can save so much money flying out of Toronto. For example, right now if you were to book 8 nights flying on Feb 21st you can get flights for $549 USD round trip YYZ to HNL which translates to approx $420 per person round trip. I know that this probably means an overnight hotel stay for some people and you would have to factor the gas into the equation as well but for a family of four you are talking about saving well over $800-1000. It is slightly higher right now for summer dates but not by much, between 560-700/USD per person depending on the day and length of stay. Just an fyi...

@mom2rose&john thank you so much! Happy planning!

@alohamom Good tip! For us, the savings wasn't quite as significant. By the time we factored in the border crossing hassle, additional hotel expenses, etc., we just chalked it up to convenience cost for flying out of Buffalo. But with a larger group and the right time of year, definitely a good thing to consider! Another option we looked at was taking the JetBlue direct flight from Buffalo to LAX and then picking up Hawaiian Airlines from LAX to HNL. Again, depends on the dates as to whether the savings are good.

@mom2rose&john thank you so much! Happy planning!

@alohamom Good tip! For us, the savings wasn't quite as significant. By the time we factored in the border crossing hassle, additional hotel expenses, etc., we just chalked it up to convenience cost for flying out of Buffalo. But with a larger group and the right time of year, definitely a good thing to consider! Another option we looked at was taking the JetBlue direct flight from Buffalo to LAX and then picking up Hawaiian Airlines from LAX to HNL. Again, depends on the dates as to whether the savings are good.

For sure-and Toronto traffic, which can be a total nightmare, must be considered too.

Wow, cost only savings for four pple would be over $3,000. Rent a car one way and stay overnight and on return hire a town car service to drive us back would be an option. Crossing the border and going through customs in Hawaii would be more complicated though. But still a something to consider though.

Great trip report and congrats on getting married. Hawaii and Aulani sure were a great way to start off.

Congrats on your wedding.
Thanks so much for your review. Very informative and the pics are amazing!

I am looking forward to my 1st Aulani stay this summer. This is the busiest time. Do you think the Casabella by Ama Ama would be worth it then? Your pic of the view was awesome. Was this a zoom? I would love an unobstructed view of the ocean and pool from my lounger with out having to get up at 6am. Is this close to bathrooms and bar?

Also can you pick your Casabella or Cabana? Is there a map of them?
Thanks
Kerri

Congrats on your wedding.
Thanks so much for your review. Very informative and the pics are amazing!

I am looking forward to my 1st Aulani stay this summer. This is the busiest time. Do you think the Casabella by Ama Ama would be worth it then? Your pic of the view was awesome. Was this a zoom? I would love an unobstructed view of the ocean and pool from my lounger with out having to get up at 6am. Is this close to bathrooms and bar?

Also can you pick your Casabella or Cabana? Is there a map of them?
Thanks
Kerri

Are you referring to the pic from Ama Ama? If so, I took that from the restaurant, no zoom. The upper veranda casabellas and lower veranda casabellas are to the immediate left of that photo. Nice view of the ocean. However, the best view of the ocean would be from the executive lanai. It's more central, but it's also larger and more expensive.

Neither the upper veranda/lower veranda casabellas or the executive lanai are very close to the bathrooms or bar, IMO. We did not want to use the Ama Ama restrooms since we were in our swimsuits, so we went to the restrooms by Mama's each time which meant we had to walk around the length of the pool to the other side. The casabellas on the beach have the same issue.

If you want to reserve the executive lanai, upper veranda or lower veranda, you can do that in advance and you can choose any of them based on availability We had booked the upper veranda because it was the smallest. It includes two sets of casabella loungers. I believe the lower veranda had three sets of casabella loungers. You have to reserve the veranda as a whole, you can't reserve just one set of casabellas. This does give you space and privacy, but also more expensive.

For the casabellas on the beach, those can only be reserved day of and you can choose which one you want. They are numbered. It is based on availability, and I have heard of people lining up early for them during busy times. We found them mostly empty when we were there.

I can't speak as to whether you can choose your cabana, I assume so if there is availability. You can also book these in advance. I would say the verandas/lanai and cabanas which you can reserve in advance are worth it if you are traveling during a busy time. While we didn't care much for the verandas location, we would have put up with it if it meant not having to worry about finding chairs. Chairs were ample during our stay, so that wasn't a concern for us.

Are you referring to the pic from Ama Ama? If so, I took that from the restaurant, no zoom. The upper veranda casabellas and lower veranda casabellas are to the immediate left of that photo. Nice view of the ocean. However, the best view of the ocean would be from the executive lanai. It's more central, but it's also larger and more expensive.

Neither the upper veranda/lower veranda casabellas or the executive lanai are very close to the bathrooms or bar, IMO. We did not want to use the Ama Ama restrooms since we were in our swimsuits, so we went to the restrooms by Mama's each time which meant we had to walk around the length of the pool to the other side. The casabellas on the beach have the same issue.

If you want to reserve the executive lanai, upper veranda or lower veranda, you can do that in advance and you can choose any of them based on availability We had booked the upper veranda because it was the smallest. It includes two sets of casabella loungers. I believe the lower veranda had three sets of casabella loungers. You have to reserve the veranda as a whole, you can't reserve just one set of casabellas. This does give you space and privacy, but also more expensive.

For the casabellas on the beach, those can only be reserved day of and you can choose which one you want. They are numbered. It is based on availability, and I have heard of people lining up early for them during busy times. We found them mostly empty when we were there.

I can't speak as to whether you can choose your cabana, I assume so if there is availability. You can also book these in advance. I would say the verandas/lanai and cabanas which you can reserve in advance are worth it if you are traveling during a busy time. While we didn't care much for the verandas location, we would have put up with it if it meant not having to worry about finding chairs. Chairs were ample during our stay, so that wasn't a concern for us.

Thanks for the info. I have booked the executive Lanai..I am very excited. We are only 4 people tho but renting the 2 casbella upper level. was basically same price.
Would you say the Lanai had a nice ocean breeze. Is it ground level with shrubs in front?
Maybe I will put a sign outside my lanai....Casabella for rent:idea:. LOL.
As for the bar isn't there one next to Ama Ama or is that just at night?
Thanks
Kerri

Thanks for the info. I have booked the executive Lanai..I am very excited. We are only 4 people tho but renting the 2 casbella upper level. was basically same price.
Would you say the Lanai had a nice ocean breeze. Is it ground level with shrubs in front?
Maybe I will put a sign outside my lanai....Casabella for rent:idea:. LOL.
As for the bar isn't there one next to Ama Ama or is that just at night?
Thanks
Kerri

The executive lanai is a few steps up from the beach, and a few steps down from the deck in front of Ama Ama. It's on it's own level in between the pool deck level and ground level. Not sure whether it gets an ocean breeze, but I don't believe it's obstructed by anything like shrubs.

The bar Off the Hook is close to Ama Ama. You'd walk up the steps and through the gate to the deck in front of Ama Ama, up the ramp, around the chairs by the pool, and then Off the Hook is right there. Not a far walk by any means, but there are loungers and cabanas better situated near the bar area. You will get waiter service in the executive lanai as well. We got waiter service on the beach in a beach casabella, but did find it to be few and far between. Our server did not check in often at all.

The executive lanai is a few steps up from the beach, and a few steps down from the deck in front of Ama Ama. It's on it's own level in between the pool deck level and ground level. Not sure whether it gets an ocean breeze, but I don't believe it's obstructed by anything like shrubs.

The bar Off the Hook is close to Ama Ama. You'd walk up the steps and through the gate to the deck in front of Ama Ama, up the ramp, around the chairs by the pool, and then Off the Hook is right there. Not a far walk by any means, but there are loungers and cabanas better situated near the bar area. You will get waiter service in the executive lanai as well. We got waiter service on the beach in a beach casabella, but did find it to be few and far between. Our server did not check in often at all.

Gotta overthink every decision. I'm going in July which might be a lil warmer than September when you went. How was weather. Is it comfortable to sit outside with shade at lanai. Or is it very humid like Caribbean.
Second guessing if the shade now of upper level of Ama Ama would be better. :headache:
Thanks
Kerri

Gotta overthink every decision. I'm going in July which might be a lil warmer than September when you went. How was weather. Is it comfortable to sit outside with shade at lanai. Or is it very humid like Caribbean.
Second guessing if the shade now of upper level of Ama Ama would be better. :headache:
Thanks
Kerri

We thought it was comfortable weather for sitting in the shade. September sees similar weather as July - mid-upper 80s. We never found it particularly humid, and we're from the Northeast where it can be VERY humid.

Personally, I'd stick with the executive lanai. The umbrellas there will provide enough shade, it's more spacious, and it's better located in relation to restrooms and the bar. You'll feel like outcasts in the corner in the upper/lower verandas, IMO. Some people like that for the privacy, but it was too secluded for us.

Perfect! Thanks so much.
It will be my birthday so I will feel like Queen for a day:-)
Thanks
Kerri

Hey! I finally got around to reading your trip report. So glad you guys had such a great time. Aren't you dying to go back!? I think the "direct" flight from ATL is a good idea, I say "direct" because you had to get to ATL first, but thinking back I would've rather done an overnight-ish flight home. The flights are exhausting and the part I dread most, haha.

It's funny how you liked different islands, because we were the exact same way. I totally agree with your sentiment about Maui being a cross between relaxed/nature and commercial. A perfect blend, actually. I love that you got to go to three islands and experience so much!

As for the upper deck casabellas at Ama Ama, we were quite disappointed. First, they are WAY off the beaten path. On the very border of the resort property, in fact.

I was thinking of that as soon as you said in your TR that you rented one of those, because that was my opinion as I walked by, too! I thought they looked nice if you wanted something truly out of the way, but they were VERY out of the way!

As for the upper deck casabellas at Ama Ama, we were quite disappointed. First, they are WAY off the beaten path. On the very border of the resort property, in fact. And as I mentioned, no one was sitting in the standard lounge chairs in front of Ama Ama, which were in between us and the pool. This made the whole area dead and we felt like outcasts. It was also entirely shaded, which is not what we were expecting. We wanted some sun with the option of the umbrella if we wanted shade. I mentioned all this to the CMs at Rainbow Reef and they were more than willing to refund us the cost, which I was appreciative of. At $150, it just was not worth it to us. We ended up reserving a beach casabella that day, since it was our first day and we were still learning the ropes of how busy it would be. A beach casabella was $75 and not worth it, IMO. Waiter service was available for all chairs (although VERY slow/infrequent) and the cushions were nothing special. Save the money or spend it on a full fledged cabana!

Sorry to hear that! Good to know for the future. It's nice that they refunded the cost!

After, we headed back toward Haleiwa and stopped by Laniakea Beach to see if we could see any sea turtles. You'll know the beach when you see all the cars and traffic! We were lucky enough to see a turtle so it was worth the stop.

ry%3D400

AHH! Omg! That is so neat. We went there one day and it was grossly rainy so we saw nothing of the sort. He hardly looks real! Awesome.

We decided around 6:30pm to line up for the Starlit Hui, as this was the only night during our stay that it was playing. I believe it's since been discontinued so I won't spend time reviewing it, but as two adults, it just wasn't our speed. Great for kids/families though!

I wish we would've seen it, but I also figured it wasn't our speed either and was probably geared towards little ones.

After the temple, we headed down the road to Kailua. We parked the car and walked to a few of the shops, and then drove over to Kailua Beach Park. The beach and water here are just gorgeous! I wished we had brought our swimsuits to change into. The water was a clear turquoise blue, different than the water at Aulani or any of the other places we had been. The beach was a soft white sand. Just gorgeous! Had I known, I may have planned a day out there.
ry%3D400

Wow, this is beautiful! I'm going to keep this in mind for if/when we go back.

Thursday was sadly our last full day in Hawaii. After being there for two weeks at that point, we had really acclimated to island life and the thought of going home was devastating at that point! We started our last morning with breakfast at Ama Ama. I can’t emphasize just how good this breakfast was, and I’m still kicking myself for leaving it until the end of our trip. I got a coffee and DH had OJ. I had the vanilla mac nut pancakes and DH had the breakfast sandwich with lobster. It was one of the best meals of our trip! Our bill was pricey for breakfast at around $50, but worth every penny IMO.

I reallly wanted to try breakfast there, but somehow never got to it. My husband is a pretty "basic" breakfast eater so it didn't seem worth the $$ but I think we should try it next time. (I say next time like I'm gonna go back soon or something HA!)

For those wondering, I would do the same trip over again without any changes. If we ever visit Hawaii again, I’d stay at Aulani and do one other island – probably Kauai because it was the least commercialized place we visited with just crazy natural beauty. I'd also recommend to book any inter-island flights for early morning or late at night. Our mid-morning flights just ate up too much of the day, and we probably could have done a little more if we had those hours back.

Sooo glad you had such a wonderful honeymoon!!! I think Kauai looked so beautiful. Thanks for sharing all of your experiences! I agree with the inner-island flights. We did ours at like 7 PM and it was almost too early because we still left Maui at like 4 PM to get to the airport on time (again with 2 hours to spare). Good to know!

Really enjoyed reading your Honeymoon trip report. I find that reading reports while waiting for vacation is a fun and exciting way to lead up to the trip! I was on the fence about booking Ama Ama for breakfast because we are already eating their for our 2nd evening dinner but now I'm glad I book breakfast too! I am not a pancake eater at all but I think those Mac Nut pancakes may just find their way onto my plate! Still ironing out specifics but I know we will at least spend 1 day on the North Shore and likely will find ourselves their twice. We only have 5 nights booked at Aulani and 1 last night in Waikiki (at the Moana Surfrider). I wish we had more time!

Really enjoyed reading your Honeymoon trip report. I find that reading reports while waiting for vacation is a fun and exciting way to lead up to the trip! I was on the fence about booking Ama Ama for breakfast because we are already eating their for our 2nd evening dinner but now I'm glad I book breakfast too! I am not a pancake eater at all but I think those Mac Nut pancakes may just find their way onto my plate! Still ironing out specifics but I know we will at least spend 1 day on the North Shore and likely will find ourselves their twice. We only have 5 nights booked at Aulani and 1 last night in Waikiki (at the Moana Surfrider). I wish we had more time!
We will plan two North Shore days on our next trip, whenever that may be! You will love the Moana Surfrider - we had a drink at the Banyan tree bar and it was beautiful with awesome views. The entire hotel is unique and gorgeous, and centrally located. Have a great trip!

To confirm what you said, most mainland flights are mid day, so the airports early morning and evening are empty and you zip right thru. Also prices will be better, we like to do a 8am flight, you need a wakeup call but no traffic and you are to your next pool by 10.

Absolute worst airport experience was a Maui Sunday at 1, airport was a disaster

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter