What number of Direct points needed for benefits?

Bearval

DIS Veteran
How many direct points do I need to buy to have all of the DVC benefits? Also if I add on resale points will I have all of the DVC member benefits on these add on points?

75 direct points are required for membership perks.

The second part of your question isn't really applicable. If you own 75 direct points, then you have the membership perks. Resale points added on afterwards are irrelevant when it comes to perks because you would already be a direct owner of 75 points. If you were to sell those 75 direct point contract at some point and keep only the resale contract, then you would no longer have access to membership perks.

And worth stating because I'm sure it will be mentioned anyway, but perks should not be a primary driver of buying direct, as they can be taken away at any time. Most feel that the only "valuable" perk right now are the AP discounts, but even those have a lengthy break even point.

75 and No.

That is 75 points will give you DCV benefits such as the blue card (for discounts, access to the EPCOT lounge, etc) ... but only the direct points have benefits such as using for DCL/Disney Collection. The resale points remain resale points.

75 and No.

That is 75 points will give you DCV benefits such as the blue card (for discounts, access to the EPCOT lounge, etc) ... but only the direct points have benefits such as using for DCL/Disney Collection. The resale points remain resale points.
75 and No.

So if I bought 75 points direct and 200 resale I would be able to to get the discounts EPCOT lounge etc?

So if I bought 75 points direct and 200 resale I would be able to to get the discounts EPCOT lounge etc?
As long as you maintain 75 direct purchase points, you will be eligible for all member perks and discounts.

Adding to Michael's post, what you can't do, is use the 200 resale points to pay for anything other than a DVC resort or an exchange via RCI. So, for example, you couldn't use those resale points to pay for a cruise on DCL or a stay at the DLH in California.

Also realize the minimum is 75 points right now. I see it going to 100 in the future, probably the next year or two. I personally think 100 is the minimum Disney wants to get to eventually. I would not be surprised if it happens this coming year. I would be surprised if it does not happen in the next two years however.

Not sure if your questions was - "If I am at Disney using my resale points, do I still get benefits?"

If that is your question, the answer is still Yes. In fact you do not need to be staying at DVC or even on property to get most of the benefits. You get 20% of merchandise at WDW at all times. If you lived locally and went to WOD, you would get 20% off. If you went to a restaurant at a resort that had the discount, you get the discount. If you are in EPCOT staying off property, you get into the lounge. The only slight asterisk comes with Moonlight Magic events. For those you need to be staying on property to get the early booking opportunity. You can be paying with cash, resale points, or DVC direct points, but you need to be staying on property (not limited to DVC villas). If you live locally or are staying off property, you have to wait an additional 2 weeks to book your MM. And I believe 4 out of the 5 times this year the tickets were gone before the "off-property" window opened (if not within hours of the on property opening time).

No matter what contracts you buy, or where you buy the contracts from, you don't have any benefits. You have a DVC membership. Your membership is made up of contracts. Those contracts carry (or don't carry) membership benefits.

Say you hold a 75 direct contract in your membership, those 75 points afford the membership (and by extension, you) the blue-card member benefits. You could add 7,925 points by way of resale today to your membership and you can still enjoy member benefits because your membership contains the qualified 75 point contract. If you sell your 75 point contract, your membership will no longer contain a qualified contract and the membership will no longer carry any member benefits.

If they increase the minimum requirement, your 75 points will likely be grandfathered into the system as a qualified contract. Prior to the change earlier this year, there was a mad rush for resale buyers to buy 25 point direct add-on contracts. The reason is once the change took place, everyone who had a 25 point direct contract had those 25 point contracts were grandfathered to be qualified. So in their membership sits a qualified contract, despite being less than the current 75 point minimum.

There are two types of extra benefits, those that cost points to get and those that do not use any points to get. The ones that cost points are resorts and the cruise in the Disney Collections and you will not be able to use any resale points you have for those (with exception for Disneyland resorts). For the ones that you do not use any points -- all the events, restaurant discounts, Epcot lounge, APs, others -- you just need to own 75 points purchased from Disney (unless you are already grandfathered in from earlier purchases)

There are two types of extra benefits, those that cost points to get and those that do not use any points to get. The ones that cost points are resorts and the cruise in the Disney Collections and you will not be able to use any resale points you have for those (with exception for Disneyland resorts). For the ones that you do not use any points -- all the events, restaurant discounts, Epcot lounge, APs, others -- you just need to own 75 points purchased from Disney (unless you are already grandfathered in from earlier purchases)
AFAIK, you cannot use resale points purchased after 3/21/2011 for the Disneyland hotels, just the VGC, which is a DVC resort.

Ok, I just bit the bullet and did a direct purchase of 75 points for AKL. I did a direct at the minimum just incase they increase the incentive to be a full member, I will add on with a resale do the road.

Ok, I just bit the bullet and did a direct purchase of 75 points for AKL. I did a direct at the minimum just incase they increase the incentive to be a full member, I will add on with a resale do the road.
Congratulations!

Congrats!!!! Enjoy your points. If you ever need our services in the future please let us know.

Also realize the minimum is 75 points right now. I see it going to 100 in the future, probably the next year or two. I personally think 100 is the minimum Disney wants to get to eventually. I would not be surprised if it happens this coming year. I would be surprised if it does not happen in the next two years however.
Old thread I know but we have a winner here.

Old thread I know but we have a winner here.

I was surprised it did not happen sooner. Looking at the numbers now, after the last increase and new direct minimum, we would have paid 50% more to become direct members. Glad to have it behind us, as we have attended two Moonlight Magic’s and do not regret locking in direct perks when we did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!