What Not to Miss with First Timer on Adult only trip

Beckyb3

Mouseketeer
I am a die hard Disney fan and have been about six times in the last few years but I need advice on planning my next trip. I am going on a girls trip with a friend who has never been to Disney world and we will only be there for three to four days. My last trips have mainly been with my kiddos or my sisters who have also been numerous times and I never feel too much pressure to do everything or get there early or stay late because we go enough that anything we miss we can try to catch the next time. I am looking for tips on what should not be missed for a first timer because I want her first time to be great but I also don’t want to be too intense as we both want to chill and just have fun. So basically what do you feel should not be missed with somebody who has never been and/or what are some fun adult experiences you would recommend for an adult only trip. Side note, this is fairly last minute as it’s a bit of a spontaneous trip so I am short on planning time. Thanks in advance.

I would do either an Early Morning Magic, or a Disney After Hours to get more "bang for your buck. (You don't need a Park ticket for DAH, but you do for EMM.
You also might consider doing a fireworks dessert party. At any of the 3 parks that offer them. Not for the desserts, but certainly for the great views without having 5,000 of you new best friends closing in on you.
Get a fast pass to meet Mickey, or plan a meal with Mickey and friends. Or hit Artist Point for the newest princess dining experience. (You may not have even been there)
I know these are all "extras", but they really do give you an experience you would not otherwise get.
Whatever you do, you'll have fun. And continue to plan as if she were able to return. You never know, you may just create a new "dis nerd"!

I am a die hard Disney fan and have been about six times in the last few years but I need advice on planning my next trip. I am going on a girls trip with a friend who has never been to Disney world and we will only be there for three to four days. My last trips have mainly been with my kiddos or my sisters who have also been numerous times and I never feel too much pressure to do everything or get there early or stay late because we go enough that anything we miss we can try to catch the next time. I am looking for tips on what should not be missed for a first timer because I want her first time to be great but I also don’t want to be too intense as we both want to chill and just have fun. So basically what do you feel should not be missed with somebody who has never been and/or what are some fun adult experiences you would recommend for an adult only trip. Side note, this is fairly last minute as it’s a bit of a spontaneous trip so I am short on planning time. Thanks in advance.

Epcot is a go to for me, but of what I got to do there, Soarin and Living with the Land(very well done for an educational boat ride) were my favorites. Garden Grill has good views but the food is just ok, so only go there for the view and characters. I went during the Flower & Garden Show last year, but any of their festivals is definitely worth going to. For the other parks, you will have to ask other people. I would probably look into the four park tickets that just went on sale so she can get a taste for each of the parks. You get a day in each of the parks, and then adding any extras the two of you want. I have only been a couple times, so I am still in that first timers mentality. Consider some restaurants that may not be as kid friendly while visiting with your friend, taking a break for a table service a day.

So with keeping in mind you have a first timer, I would try to plan a taste of the many facets of Disney Magic to include a special dining experience, shows, fireworks and some of the best attractions. You didn't mention when or ticket options so I would recommend all options that minimize the effect of waiting too long for any attraction. Definitely consider Fast passes, Extra magic hours if you are on property, the Star Wars Dessert Party as it has adult beverages and greater appetizers offerings not just dessert and any other option that allows you to by pass crowds during a short last minute trip.

Specifically, these are some things I think a first timer would enjoy"

Walking the world at Epcot in the early evening to catch all of the different entertainment around the world...grab a cocktail and enjoy.

Consider an Illuminations Dinner Package. My husband and I always enjoyed the San Angel Inn Restaurant for the ambience and then know you had a good viewing spot for the fireworks.

Soarin and the American Adventure are wonderful experiences that I always do multiple times and first timers seem to really enjoy as well.

With the new additions to Animal Kingdom combined with old favorites, I would definitely go here if you can plan well.

Best things to do here...Flight of Passage, Lion King Show, Expedition Everest. This might be a wonderful park to do as Extra Magic Hours if you were able combined with Fast passes, you could do the best of AK within 3 hours.

MK is iconic and who doesn't want to walk down main street and see the castle. Highlights for me are always splash mountain, space mountain, TMRR and the fireworks in front of the castle. Perhaps a dessert party or dinner package.

If you go to HS, consider taking the walking path from HS to Epcot. It is beautiful, quiet and relaxing.

Seeing the water pageant at night from the Polynesian and watching the fireworks on the beach is another enjoyable experience.

Visiting Disney Springs to walk, shop and have dinner is always a part of my trips.

It really depends on what you think your friend enjoys. It can be really overwhelming if they want to fit it "all In".

Happy planning and enjoy the magic with your friend.:tinker:

Thanks everybody. All great ideas. So we are actually going Jan 25-28. I know it’s really soon but this was a little impromptu. We are staying at Beach Club so we can walk to HS and Epcot. I have an annual pass and she is getting a park hopper so we have some flexibility. I am going to look into if it’s still possible to book one of the VIP tours this last minute either the Thrill rides or the AKL one. I am leaning towards AKL solely because I haven’t been able to get an FOP fast pass. I LOVE the dessert parties we have done before so I am considering that one also but lots of reviews say to skip for first timers but I think that is assuming a trip of trying to see or do everything. I have only done Frozen Ever After, the Star Wars one, and Pirates and Pals so I am leaning towards an MK one but the no alcohol may be a downer for us so I was thinking of the boat one from the TTC but I am worried it will take too much time away from the parks. I need to look into adult dining and what is good for that if anybody has any recommendations.

" but lots of reviews say to skip for first timers "
That's funny, I've never ever seen a no go review on a dessert party.
If you guys enjoy a drinkie poo or 2 (lol) the Star Wars one (imho) is the best. They have enough savory and sweet to be a meal, with great alcoholic beverages, as well as meeting Chewie. The viewing area is really great as well.
I, personally love the HEA in MK, I like the Plaza Garden reserved area. But, like you said, no ETOH.
You're staying in the perfect spot to visit all the parks easily without having to worry about transportation except to AK
I also think a private tour would be outstanding.
I wouldn't let any opinions about first time visitors sway you. YOU are acting as a guide for her (lucky friend) and know all the ins and outs. So, you won't be making any first time mistakes.
It sounds like a magical trip. Have fun!

Last edited:
I’d definitely do the HEA dessert party since she’s new to Disney—heck, even if she wasn’t HEA is too good to miss. I book the dessert party garden view for every trip. I know there’s no alcohol but for you guys I’d watch the fireworks then head to Poly for drinks.
I’d work hard on trying to get a FP for FOP.
Haven’t done an early morning magic but we have one booked for end of the month at toy story land and I’m thinking it will be a good time.

I would say don’t over plan or over schedule a first timer...those of us who are longtime Disney fans know that scheduling is part of a Disney vacay...but it throws newbies. The first trip I was involved in planning and I terrified my family by suggesting dining reservations and selecting a park each day...(2007...well before fast pass and MDE mandated park selection). The funniest part of that trip is that I made reservations anyway, based on guesswork and knowing my family...and the one night I did not (Fantasmic and I was not paying for them if they would not commit) my brother turned to me and said...you have reservations somewhere right? You know I want to eat at SciFi...um no,
But I would have if you told me! They learned for our next visit...but some folks like flexibility in vacation. You know your friend best. I would plan to spend a little time drinking around the world or at the boardwalk if y’all like a cocktail. Enjoy your trip!

Maybe, let your friend look at a video about DW. There's a download you can do. Utube provides videos of rides, too.

Get her to some DW websites and let her read about it.

You really need to find out if she has any medical conditions. For example, some people can't handle simulator rides. Some people don't like heights. Still others hate roller coasters. Some people enjoy shows like the Lion King and others hate shows. If you want her to be the priority you need to find out how she is in this regard.

As a first timer I don't think she'll be expecting the World and make sure she realizes that there is at least 5 miles of walking each day. We like to alternate rides with shows to get a little rest period.

She may enjoy a character dining experience. You could hook up with one that offers preferred seating for a show like River of Lights.

We love extra magic mornings. For Epcot we like the late extra magic hours.

Some people enjoy parades and fireworks and others could care less.

Since you want to build in some down time:
Depending upon what you are into:
sports: golf, mini-golf, fishing, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DS (DTD), area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DS (DTD) 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, horse drawn tour of FWC, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour
eating: Formal GF 5* Chef's Table @ V&As

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter