What is your Plan B campground?

Harriett,

I know many people's Go-To is Lake Louisa SP. It is close and cheap. I was planning on staying there the night before arriving at the Fort, but hurricane Irma made a mess of it and I had to find Plan B. That Plan B was great. Across the highway in Kissimmee, Orlando/Kissimmee KOA. It is very nice, but pricey. They went out of their way to accommodate us immediately after the hurricane. We left home 5 days after Irma hit, knowing the Fort would still be closed and Lake Louisa was out. We started calling on the drive down. Tropical Palms, where we have stayed before (nice, but tight campground closer to WDW in Kissimmee) didn't have power. The KOA was our 3rd try. They had power and were willing to hold a site as long as we needed it until the Fort opened or Disney found us a resort, despite being nearly full with coastal evacuees and recovery workers. We arrived about 9 at night, not knowing how long we would be there. The office said they would charge me 1 night and just let them know how long I needed to stay once I talked to Disney in the morning. Completely unsolicited, they even kept looking for discounts to apply to get the price down. I was just thrilled they had a site, but they asked if I was GoodSam- yes, senior- no, military- no, first responder- no, nurse- YES! Close enough, she said. The campround is very nice. All paved roads and sites, Mickey lamps at every site. Very well kept. As it turned out, Disney was able to find a very nice 2 BR condo at OKW and we moved the next morning. When I went to check out, they were great and said if I needed to stay or leave the trailer, just let them know. I can't say enough good about how we were treated. Remember, this was 5 days after the hurricane went directly over this area. Many of these people didn't have power and several said they had family that were still out of their homes due to damage. I told them I would definitely pass them along to anyone needing a non-Fort place to stay.

j

Last edited:
Don't have go-to to recommend, but I will say that I stayed at Winter Garden RV Resort for a night and it was close, but not likely a place I'd stay again. Nothing horrible by any stretch, but cramped, full of many long-term campers, and disinterested staff.

We usually stay at Thousand Trails/ Orlando RV resort. We like the location in Clermont on Hwy 27. It is away from the crazy traffic on 192. There are nice places to eat in town also. And 2 WalMart and Publix close by. The front is all open the back is like FW was before all the trimming a few years ago. More private. Remember there is only 1 Fort. Oh and no cable there. It is FHU.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter