What is your favorite "underrated" Disney film?

I literally just saw Planes in the last month or so and I actually had the DVD for a while now. :rolleyes2 I really liked it! I haven't seen Planes Fire & Rescue yet so that is next on my list.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Robin Hood, The Return of Jafar, The Emperor's New Groove, Oliver & Company. Don't know if these are underrated but I really like Fantasia, I think its a true work or art and a movie I watched a lot as a kid. The Princess and the Frog has some excellent music as well.

Emperor's New Groove
The Huntchback of Notre Dame
Snow white and the seven dwarfs
A Goofy movie
A Bugs Life
James and the giant peach

I am a big old Hunchback fan and it definitely deserves more love.

Thank you for mentioning James - I had forgotten that! That is a good one!

And A Bug's Life is actually #5 (yes, you heard me) on my Pixar rankings list. I have a lot of deep personal love for this movie. I think it got smacked down on release for not living up to Toy Story (a tall order!) and people just wrote it off. Definitely underrated.

Flight of the Navigator. I rewatched this as an adult now that there is Disney plus, and it holds up (at least for me). It was enjoyable even now. I didn’t know that was a Disney movie.
I was just going to say this!! This was one of the few VHS tapes we owned when I was a kid and I watched it over and over again. The only flaw is the payoff was kinda flimsy fluff even though the buildup was so good. Another VHS I owned that I later learned was Disney was Homeward Bound... still makes me tear up to this day. You appreciate it in a different way as an adult, because at that point you probably have gone through the experience of losing a pet so Shadow's wise words are that much more touching.

Also I'm glad to see that A Goofy Movie is finally starting to get its due credit, when for many years it had been completely skipped or forgotten by most.

I'm also probably one of the rare few that genuinely enjoyed Treasure Planet. I think that annoying robot that shows up towards the end sort of ruined it for a lot of people...the same way the annoying gargoyles did for Hunchback. Disney had an annoying side character problem for a while.

Hunchback of Notre Dame - Visually beautiful and, speaking as a big fan of the novel, I was impressed by how much Disney actually kept in of the story. The novel is a HUGE downer, with a lot of commentary of the gray areas of morality and some very unlikeable characters. Some people don't like the gargoyles but I was OK with them, except I didn't like the song placement of "A Guy Like You." It should have been much earlier in the movie.

Robin Hood - I was 10 when this movie came out and Robin was my first cartoon crush. I had no idea the movie didn't do well in theaters, I just liked the character and the story. Nowadays a lot of it is too shticky and un-funny - and if you know anything about English history you'll know how much of an unfair shake Prince John gets in this portrayal (the real Prince John actually kept England together while King Richard was off killing Muslims in the name of Christianity and stripping the royal coffers.) I hear there's a remake and I'm pretty sure if it happens a lot of Prince John's more annoying character traits will be excised, including the somewhat bizarre trait he has of sucking his thumb and whimpering for "mummy." I mean, seriously, what the heck? Did Disney actually have writers who couldn't think of any of other way to make Prince John funny?

The Emperor's New Groove - like a lot of other people in this thread, I thought this movie was a LOT better than I thought it was going to be. Disney really botched the marketing on this one; I remember seeing commercials and thinking "Wow, that doesn't look funny at all!" I saw it on DVD and thought the story and writing was very clever and the characters were great, especially Yzma and Kronk. The voice work was very strong too.

Wreck-It Ralph - I thought this movie was great too, but try to find ANYTHING related to Wreck-It Ralph in any Disney store or theme park. It doesn't exist. They have a few characters in the Halloween parade, but that's about it. The movie was awesome, though, and anybody who remembers the golden age of arcade games will get the nostalgia factor.

Those are all great choices! Wreck-It Ralph was at one point my favorite animated movie! I think they promoted it too much as a film only gamers would like, so a lot of people skipped it thinking the story would be lackluster. And Disney itself was quick to sweep it under the rug. It's such a shame, because it was a very touching story with fun action and endearing characters. Unfortunately the sequel left a horrible taste in my mouth, so I sometimes forget how great the original film was on it's own. Disney had a lot of great opportunities with this title but they ended up squandering it.

Dinosaur
Chicken Little
Bridge to Terabithia
Homeward Bound
The Brave Little Toaster

I feel like I'm missing a million more, but these are the truest "underrated" favorite films I could think of.

Hunchback is amazing and probably my fave Disney score

Hellfire is one of my favorite Disney Villain songs and Frollo is really wel written trying to justify his evil deeds all the time and trying to be a man of God at the same time. I love the Story as a whole to.

Those are all great choices! Wreck-It Ralph was at one point my favorite animated movie! I think they promoted it too much as a film only gamers would like, so a lot of people skipped it thinking the story would be lackluster. And Disney itself was quick to sweep it under the rug. It's such a shame, because it was a very touching story with fun action and endearing characters. Unfortunately the sequel left a horrible taste in my mouth, so I sometimes forget how great the original film was on it's own. Disney had a lot of great opportunities with this title but they ended up squandering it.

My friend thought this to that the movie was for gamers only but I did advice it a few times that this was not the case and she watched it and loved it and really likes Vanellope now. :D

Didn't know Wreck-it-Ralph was underrated. The characters Ralph and Vanellope are both outcast and I felt for them both besides as a gamer there where also a lot of details to enjoy.

The Rocketeer is not just the most underrated Disney movie, I think it is the most underrated any movie, of all time.

Of the modern films, Hunchback is absolutely on my list. I think the music is just incredible. I do wish that they had chosen a different actress for Esmeralda. I like Demi Moore's speaking voice, but there’s a real disconnect, I think, between the speaking voice and the singing voice in the movie, as she didn’t do the singing.

Of the classics, I love the Three Caballeros. So inventive, and a little bit nuts!

But, my favorite Disney movie that most people don’t seem to have seen is Greyfriars Bobby. It’s a sweet story about a little Scottish dog, not dissimilar from the story of Hachiko, so Kleenex is needed.

Meet the Robinsons. It reminds me of Walt.
Which is weird, because to me, Meet the Robinsons reminds me of anything BUT a Disney film. I'm still not convinced that it's a Disney studios film, much the same way Mars Needs Moms isn't a Disney film.

Which is weird, because to me, Meet the Robinsons reminds me of anything BUT a Disney film. I'm still not convinced that it's a Disney studios film, much the same way Mars Needs Moms isn't a Disney film.

I can see that, but it is. It just came at that experimental time when they were first messing around with CG (well not the first first-time). It does come off as a little weird. It's not a bad film though, and many improvements were made over Chicken Little, likely thanks to the input of Lasseter who joined Disney after the Pixar merger during production.

I can see that, but it is. It just came at that experimental time when they were first messing around with CG (well not the first first-time). It does come off as a little weird. It's not a bad film though, and many improvements were made over Chicken Little, likely thanks to the input of Lasseter who joined Disney after the Pixar merger during production.
Chicken Little was another one that didn't feel quite "Disney" to me.

Chicken Little was another one that didn't feel quite "Disney" to me.

Definitely not. They were definitely on the wrong track with those. I still like Meet the Robinsons okay, but moving away from that style was a good move. I think next was Bolt right, and that was not quite there, but further along than the previous CG efforts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!