What is your backup country?

Mexico because it's somewhere Americans can easily retire to. A lot of these other countries mentioned above are actually not easy to move to permanently. And, believe me, I've looked.

The U.S. is so diverse I'm not sure I can think of a reason I would have to leave the country. Just pick a different state.
My dad was born in China, a German citizen who moved to California at age 2. There are only 3 of us left of my generation, all in California, so no escape country there.
My mom was born in Canada, and I do have cousins there still, but several of them have left in search of greener pastures. To places like Australia, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and one to Siberia! Money seems to have been a big issue for all. Cost of living was lower than Canada, and salaries in their career paths remarkably higher than in Canada. Not sure that is an option either.

Last edited:
Not sure why racial would even cross your mind. Canada needs population. Young working people to maintain a tax base. It’s common knowledge. I’ve never heard that talked about in a racial nature until you just did.
I took exception to the use of the use of “Judeo-Christian culture and tradition”. That's where it started.

Japan!! In fact I'd be living there now if the minimum immigration requirements weren't so high. If I ever finish my bachelor's degree I could do it.

“Judeo-Christian”. Many consider that an extremely loaded phrase. You should look up the history.
Maybe you should. Neither ethnic Jews nor the originators of Christianity are "white folk", if that's what you're getting at and certainly today the VAST majority of either worldwide are Semetic, Black, Hispanic and Asian. Honestly, if the words Jewish and Christian are now synonyms for Caucasian, I think the entire world's gone mad. :crazy:

The original post I replied to was in reference to "ethics" and "culture" as it relates to religious backgrounds. I had no reason to believe it implied a race issue.

Mexico because it's somewhere Americans can easily retire to. A lot of these other countries mentioned above are actually not easy to move to permanently. And, believe me, I've looked.
A former co-worker had a vacation home in Mexico for at least a decade before he retired. A place with good medical care, where he and his partner felt welcomed and safe, so they retired there. But after 8 years random violence became a problem. They moved back to the U.S and sold the place.

Maybe you should. Neither ethnic Jews nor the originators of Christianity are "white folk", if that's what you're getting at and certainly today the VAST majority of either worldwide are Semetic, Black, Hispanic and Asian. Honestly, if the words Jewish and Christian are now synonyms for Caucasian, I think the entire world's gone mad. :crazy:

The original post I replied to was in reference to "ethics" and "culture" as it relates to religious backgrounds. I had no reason to believe it implied a race issue.

But it also places an emphasis on religious superiority. And you can certainly ask what many modern scholars of Judaism think of the term.

Canada, France, Sweden, Scotland, or Ireland. We've given it serious consideration in the past 2 years. DH is campaigning for Czech but there's the whole language-thing.

(I laugh when I read that Canada is too cold, considering how much further north of Toronto we are here in Maine!)

Canada, France, Sweden, Scotland, or Ireland. We've given it serious consideration in the past 2 years. DH is campaigning for Czech but there's the whole language-thing.

(I laugh when I read that Canada is too cold, considering how much further north of Toronto we are here in Maine!)
Well - Canada is a large place. It's not like many people live in the Arctic Circle. If there were any part of Canada I'd be able to tolerate based on weather, it would be the area around Vancover that has a Mediterranean climate that's regulated by the water. Kind of reminds me of where I grew up, other than it might be a bit colder because of the latitude.

But having actually been to that part of Canada, for me it was about more than just the climate but that I felt welcomed there. It's a west coast place with a west coast vibe. I've heard some claim it feels more like being in Seattle than it does being in any other metro area in Canada.

Almost everyone speaks English in Prague. Don't let that be the barrier.

Almost everyone speaks English in Prague. Don't let that be the barrier.
I've worked with people from an office in Prague. One was an Italian expat working there. He had a Czech girlfriend although he said they mostly spoke in English because he was working on his Czech. He also said he couldn't believe how difficult a language Czech was. His only criticism was the impact of the Russian Mafia there. That was a while ago and my understanding is that the groups have changed.

I love Costa Rica too, but I've realized I would rather be too cold than too hot. I need some kind of break in the heat. Plus the northern areas will be getting warmer and warmer over time.

I will put Norway and Finland in my list too. I don't plan to learn the language ahead of time, but I am definitely planning to pick it up once there!!! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter