What is your backup country?

I would start by getting my Irish citizenship by descent. And then travel the EU to decide. Sometimes where one thinks they would love to live doesn't hold up in reality.

But then again it would be an absolute dream to live in New York City. :love: That city gives me so much joy.

Last edited:
Canada, France, Sweden, Scotland, or Ireland. We've given it serious consideration in the past 2 years. DH is campaigning for Czech but there's the whole language-thing.

(I laugh when I read that Canada is too cold, considering how much further north of Toronto we are here in Maine!)

Not to mention that parts of British Columbia are moderate in temperature and rarely have snow/snow that sticks.

----------------------

Southern Ontario isn't *Canada*, so that kind of dilutes the point of the map. However, it is an interesting visual thay many Americans don't realize -

Belize. Tropical and I don't have to try to learn a new l;language at my age.
Apparently the COL is very favorable as well. I know two people who retired there and found their pensions went waaaaay farther than they ever would have here. One came home though because the access back-and-forth to western Canada was poor and extremely expensive.

I'm not sure you understand Canada very well. :confused3 The openness and willingness to make room in our society for those of every origin and creed is 100% the result of the liberty and respect that comes from our Judeo-Christian foundations. We have in no way abandoned those ethics and newcomers flock here specifically because their own homelands don't offer such an advantage.

This is super untrue lol

Not to mention that parts of British Columbia are moderate in temperature and rarely have snow/snow that sticks.

----------------------

Southern Ontario isn't *Canada*, so that kind of dilutes the point of the map. However, it is an interesting visual thay many Americans don't realize -

View attachment 438720

Depends on point of view. Here in Florida Canada would definitely be considered too cold. Heck, sometimes Florida is too cold for me. 😂

I’d try one of those Italian cities that is paying for residents. Of course, I’ll have to check the weather first.

. Heck, sometimes Florida is too cold for me. 😂

:laughing:

------------

Weirdly enough, there have been a few times that that has been true for me too.

There is nothing like that special cold in the south (not talking simply lower temperatures ). Seeps right to your bones. I remember you December 2010! :laughing: ;)

And I come from cold and have no issue with it each winter. It is just very different.

Last edited:
Portugal! I lived there for more than 2 years and am considering retiring there. A close second would be the U.K.

I haven't spent enough time out of the U.S. to make an informed decision; I've only been to Canada, and while that would likely be the easiest/most similar, if I were to leave the States I'd want to be somewhere out of North America altogether. Ireland, maybe, or somewhere else in the U.K.

Italy as I actually have family there. If that wasn't possible then Canada. But in actuality I hope I am never forced to leave my home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter