What is there to do on the ship?

nutshell

Oh, Disney!
Family of four (me, wife, DD18, and DS15) heading to our first cruise in 10 days. 3-nights on the Dream. I've read a lot of people say there's so much to do on the ship, and that on a short, 3-night cruise I shouldn't try to do everything. My question is, what is there to do on the ship? I may get off in the morning at Nassau then return for lunch at Cabanas. Once back, what is there to do? The next day will be on Castaway Cay. My impression is there is eating, sleeping, pool, AquaDuck, FunnelVision, Buena Vista, evening show, movies, character meets, and walking around. We're doing a mixology class. We are not springing for any spa treatments. Am I missing something? What does "so much to do" actually mean? Thanks!

Take a look at some personal navigator's from the 3 nt Dream cruises--they'll show you the types of activities offered to each age group. In addition to what you listed, there is the Midship Detective Agency and Mini Golf for actual activities on the Dream/Fantasy. There are a variety of trivia sessions, Bingo (costs $), Drawing classes, various crafts, the sports deck with Basketball and Ping Pong, Shuffleboard, etc.

Here's a link to one back in March: https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...ian-cruise-from-port-canaveral-march-16-2018/

In addition to what you already have listed: Bingo, Anyone Can Cook demonstrations(chef will cook something while you watch, you get a glass of wine and a sample of it), napkin folding classes, Mini-golf and Mid-ship Detective Agency on the Dream and Fantasy, animation classes/demonstrations, lots of different types of trivia games, entertainers in the clubs, these are just some of the activities.

Echo the above - worthwhile to look through the Navigators (daily activity sheet). Midship Detective Agency is fun (a bit like the Sorcerers game in WDW) and is a nice way to get in some walking. The Rainforest Room (a part of the spa that doesn't require an expensive treatment but has a separate cost) is also really nice in the Dream/Fantasy class ship. My kids also enjoyed Funnel Vision - the movies shown on pool deck. Your DS may enjoy the teens club (I think DD is too old at 18). There are adult only areas as well.

I have a follow up question. (It's been three years since I've been on a Disney cruise and I've cruised a couple other lines in the meantime.)

Does the Navigator indicate what activities have an additional charge? I'm frugal, and I think I've hesitated to go to some activities because I didn't want to show up and find out there was a charge steeper than I would want to pay. I've googled free v fee activities, so I have a general idea, but wonder if the Navigator indicates as well.

How can I afford Shanghai* if I spend all my money on a cruise :rotfl2:

* no Shanghai trips actually planned, but it's in the back of my head.

There are organized activities for both of your kids. Your 15-year-old can go into the teen club, and your 18-year-old can be a part of the 1820 society. I might recommend, if they're interested in meeting new kids on the ship, they go to the get to know you activity on embarkation night.

I have a follow up question. (It's been three years since I've been on a Disney cruise and I've cruised a couple other lines in the meantime.)

Does the Navigator indicate what activities have an additional charge? I'm frugal, and I think I've hesitated to go to some activities because I didn't want to show up and find out there was a charge steeper than I would want to pay. I've googled free v fee activities, so I have a general idea, but wonder if the Navigator indicates as well.

99% of the activities listed in the Navigator are free. The charge ones are Beverage Tastings, Bingo, and some of the Fitness Center/Spa classes.

Other than Bingo, I think all activities that require payment must be booked in advance (which is noted in the Navigator). So, if you can just show up, you shouldn’t need to pay. Of course, if you do find a fee that you don’t want to pay, you can simply leave without turning over your Key to the World card for a charge.

99% of the activities listed in the Navigator are free. The charge ones are Beverage Tastings, Bingo, and some of the Fitness Center/Spa classes.

Other than Bingo, I think all activities that require payment must be booked in advance (which is noted in the Navigator). So, if you can just show up, you shouldn’t need to pay. Of course, if you do find a fee that you don’t want to pay, you can simply leave without turning over your Key to the World card for a charge.

Thank you both. Maybe it's Bingo that "scared" me. I heard so much about it and then :faint: when I read people were paying for it. Kinda made me gun shy to check out other stuff.

Make sure you eat something before you go to the mixology class. Not sure, but you could probably even bring something with you to munch on during it. I'm not a huge drinker, maybe one glass of wine with dinner and that's about it. We had 5 full size drinks in one hour at the class. Oh course, I didn't HAVE to drink all of every drink, but they were REALLY good. It was really fun, but man, I had to go back to our cabin and lay down for a few hours afterwards. lol!! Of course that could also just be because I'm getting old!:)

Full disclaimer- I have only been on one Disney Cruise. From my very limited experience, looking at the Navigators is a great idea, but there’s no way to convey the FUN that the activities are! For example, you see “Trivia” and may think meh. but it’s FUN, engaging, entertaining trivia. The activities are truly entertaining and the leaders of the activities are awesome. Our first cruise was four nights, and I did think, “What if I’m bored?” The fact is that we truly didn’t have enough time...which is why we’re sailing a seven night in October.:D

We did a 3 night and it was SHORT. My ten year old and I did one of the mid-ship detective agency "hunts" one evening. It took a longer than I was expecting. Should have spread it out a bit more. If you are find yourself doing "nothing", it's' your own fault. There were actually two movies we wanted to see but was only able to get one of them in with the other stuff we wanted to do. I'd go into it with a plan. Book the Palo/Remy meals, tastings, etc you want and try to schedule each day around those. You just can't get it all in, so prioritize and try not to go commando too much. It is a vacation after all. You won't miss out if you're actually relaxing and enjoying some down time.

Our first cruise was four nights, and I did think, “What if I’m bored?” The fact is that we truly didn’t have enough time...which is why we’re sailing a seven night in October.:D

With 4 sons, I would think you would LOVE the chance to be "bored"! :rotfl2: Glad you love DCL like most of the rest of us here. :banana:

Almost all the activities are free [i.e. already included in the cost of the cruise]. IIRC the navigator notes if there is an extra cost, though it doesn't tell you what that cost is. Bingo, alcohol beverage tastings, and some but not all of the spa/fitness centre activities are the extra cost items I can think of.

SW

Almost all the activities are free [i.e. already included in the cost of the cruise]. IIRC the navigator notes if there is an extra cost, though it doesn't tell you what that cost is. Bingo, alcohol beverage tastings, and some but not all of the spa/fitness centre activities are the extra cost items I can think of.

SW

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to doing more on my next cruise.

Family of four (me, wife, DD18, and DS15) heading to our first cruise in 10 days. 3-nights on the Dream. I've read a lot of people say there's so much to do on the ship, and that on a short, 3-night cruise I shouldn't try to do everything. My question is, what is there to do on the ship? I may get off in the morning at Nassau then return for lunch at Cabanas. Once back, what is there to do? The next day will be on Castaway Cay. My impression is there is eating, sleeping, pool, AquaDuck, FunnelVision, Buena Vista, evening show, movies, character meets, and walking around. We're doing a mixology class. We are not springing for any spa treatments. Am I missing something? What does "so much to do" actually mean? Thanks!
I think it depends on what you like to do. Some people like participating in all the trivia and stuff, and others like to hang out by the pool, socializing, drinking, reading and sleeping. I've never understood the "so much to do" because the trivia and towel folding type activities are not me. Most of things on your list is stuff I would do minus the funnel vision because that would involve being in the family pool area surrounded by 1200 kids. I also would not do a character meet because that involves waiting in line for hours. If your 15 year old likes the Vibe you may not see him again until you leave the ship. 18 is a tough age.

Thank you both. Maybe it's Bingo that "scared" me. I heard so much about it and then :faint: when I read people were paying for it. Kinda made me gun shy to check out other stuff.

You can however get free bingo cards a few ways. 1) Attend the DVC sales pitch. (on a long cruise it can be worth it to spend the time as they also give OBC) 2) Attend a bingo game to just watch and get a bingo card at the end for the next session. Last cruise I went to the DVC (for the onboard credit) and on a whim went to bingo. I had fun just watching everyone get excited. The CMs play music and act silly. I also got to chat with Star Lord.

We've never waited in character meets for hours, 30 mins tops. We show up 5-10 mins before it starts and are usually some of the first in line.

You can however get free bingo cards a few ways. 1) Attend the DVC sales pitch. (on a long cruise it can be worth it to spend the time as they also give OBC) 2) Attend a bingo game to just watch and get a bingo card at the end for the next session. Last cruise I went to the DVC (for the onboard credit) and on a whim went to bingo. I had fun just watching everyone get excited. The CMs play music and act silly. I also got to chat with Star Lord.

I wonder how many times you can participate in a DVC pitch before they figure out you're not really interested. The best pitch was at Aulani where we got a $100 gift card to the Aulani gift shop.

I hear so much about Bingo, may have to actually try it some day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!