What is the worst injury you have ever had?

Not me, but just this past Saturday when we were rear ended at a stop light. DH's foot went into the windshield (he was in front passenger seat). Broke a bone in his foot but when he pulled his foot out of the windshield, the windshield took of some big chunks of flesh. His big toe looks like somebody took a carving knife to his big toe and part of the ball of his foot.

I'm calling it now...you "win". :crutches:

I don't want to win. LOL

The crazy thing is most of that happened within the span of 3 years. I was really wild in my early 20's and it nearly cost me my life. I did a lot of soul searching after the break in, which wasn't a robbery BTW but a personal attack from someone I got into a fight with previously. After all of this I detached from just about anyone I didn't share blood with and completely changed my life. I still drink more than I should, but no more drugs, no more bars, no more fights (haven't been in one in well over a decade now).

Sorry if I hijacked the thread OP.

Two broken collarbones as a toddler doing the same thing (standing on a chair with wheels). Broken wrist in high school after falling off a stool in acting class (guess I need to be more careful around chairs). Broken pinky toe after jamming it into door frame. But worst was bulging disk in back causing severe back spasms, Felt like I was being stabbed in the back over and over.

Line drive softball to face crushed my nose and broken cheek bone

Line drive to the upper chest - broke one rib, cracked two more.

Slipped on ice and broke my leg in several places in shin bone and about 3 inches of the back bone turned to pebbles - one rod and three screws.

Tripped on curb at POFQ and broke my upper arm in 4 places - plate and 9 screws.

My siblings refer to me as their bionic sister. Yes, I set off the scanners at the airport

Broke my neck in 3 places when I rolled my VW four times in Colorado when I was 25. I was fortunate as I walked away with just major surgery on my neck to fuse back my neck with part of my hip. My first DH, not so lucky 9 months earlier when he broke his neck in the same spots but also severed his cord in a diving accident. He never walked again. :(

Two broken collarbones as a toddler doing the same thing (standing on a chair with wheels). Broken wrist in high school after falling off a stool in acting class (guess I need to be more careful around chairs). Broken pinky toe after jamming it into door frame. But worst was bulging disk in back causing severe back spasms, Felt like I was being stabbed in the back over and over.

Sounds like you were a nice quiet kid-NOT! Your mother must be a saint. My son fell of his bed once as a toddler and needed stitches-I almost had a melt-down.
Honestly, I do really feel bad for you about the bulging disk-that IS painful!

Sounds like you were a nice quiet kid-NOT! Your mother must be a saint. My son fell of his bed once as a toddler and needed stitches-I almost had a melt-down.
Honestly, I do really feel bad for you about the bulging disk-that IS painful!

You have NO idea. My greatest moment: shoveling the fireplace ashes out onto the couch, then playing the cushions like a drum. Mom just saw "smoke" billowing into kitchen from living room.:rotfl:

Line drive softball to face crushed my nose and broken cheek bone
That one is scary (mom of twin DDs who played into college, one a pitcher and them lines drives were scary to see). So sorry it happened to you. DD pitcher broke her thumb at a Nationals trying to tag a runner out at home (it was a pre tournamnet scrimmage too and she couldn't play the rest of Nationals). Other DD broke her foot playing basketball (one of those turn ankle cracks in the top of the foot).

Last edited:
That’s the needle that went into the side of my foot and broke off last week. It was encased in the joint.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-20_15-38-57.jpeg
    upload_2018-9-20_15-38-57.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 9
didn't happen to me but one I observed while in the ER with my mom.. Noticed Drs and nurses staring in awe and shaking their heads at the computer monitor.. was a nurses island in the center of the large ER room. I walked by as of course I am nosey.. they were looking at an Xray..which I then saw this woman managed to get a wine glass in tack to empale?? her foot.. the top part was broken off, glass stem through the foot and the round base sticking out the bottom.. wonder how she did that.

1971- dislocated left knee at dance class
2009- fell on ice, crushed tissue on left leg. Was misdiagnosed as frostbite! Ended up having 3 surgeries including a wound vac and skin graft to remove dead tissue and fluid . There is a chunk of my leg gone.
2015- slipped in bathtub and fractured right tibia (looked like someone took a bite out of the bone), ended up in nursing home for rehab for 3 months. 2 months into stay found out I had multiple blood clots in the lower lobes of both lungs. Ended up having to retire from teaching due to mobility and breathing issues.

Had a car accident as a teenager (I was a passanger) steering column broke, we wrapped around a pole, had to be cut from the car.
I shattered my worst so badly that 20 years later I still have to wear a brace to do laps at the pool, things like rock climbing abuse pain and swelling.
Also suffered a bad head injury that took a good year to recover from, at the time I couldn't manage to read without pain fully headaches and struggled to follow the story, tv did the same, music gave me headaches. Lots of time in quiet dark rooms resting. Thankfully it did eventually come right though, my aunt who on the surface had a less traumatic injury from a swing is still having terrible problems 6 years later.

I was in a car accident two years ago. My worst injuries were a badly broken left leg and severe trauma to my colon and lower waist area in general. I am still dealing with those injuries. I also had a broken collarbone, several ribs, both wrists and tailbone. Good times .... :sad2:

Not me, but just this past Saturday when we were rear ended at a stop light. DH's foot went into the windshield (he was in front passenger seat). Broke a bone in his foot but when he pulled his foot out of the windshield, the windshield took of some big chunks of flesh. His big toe looks like somebody took a carving knife to his big toe and part of the ball of his foot.

Riding with feet up on the dashboard?

In 2006, I dropped my kids off at their classrooms and was walking back to my car. I stepped off a curb, not knowing there was one of those hard, green pine cones in the gutter. My foot landed on the pine cone, my ankle rolled over, and I landed on my hands and knees with my ankle weirdly twisted under me. I ended up with two and a half torn ligaments and bone edema (the marrow was swollen). The doctor warned that if it didn't heal, the bone could die and I would end up not being able to bend my ankle at all. I was put on crutches and complete rest for six weeks. It healed nicely, but I'm still very cautious about curbs and stepping on things while I'm walking.

Not me, but my karate instructor who was known to grab thumbs and twist to remind students to keep their thumbs tucked in. He was sparring as part of a black belt test and, you guessed it, somehow forgot to watch his own thumb. It got caught by a kick and completely detached from the rest of his hand internally.

I have several:

1) Dislocated shoulder playing soccer (I was the goalie and my shoulder got knocked completely out of socket when blocking a shot).

2) Broken nose, 5th grade. Not paying attention during softball practice, and softball coach threw the ball at me (line drive drill), and it hit me right in the nose.

3) Torn all the ligaments in my ankle after taking a nasty fall in a soccer game.

4) Grade 4 osteoarthritis in both knees that resulted from my soccer playing days. Due to my age (37), I'm too young for a knee replacement, so I have pieces of cadaver cartilage placed in both knees.

Concussion. DH, DD, and I were at our first ice skating lesson. I was having fun learning how to stop and skate backwards. All I remember is waking up, flat on my back on the ice, unable to move my arms and legs. The instructor was over me telling me I was okay and to calm down. Then I remembered DD was in the stands and I started really freaking out. I laid on that ice for a good half hour. I was in a daze for a bit. I remember vaguely being in the back of the ambulance. I remember when they put me in a wheelchair at the ER I almost threw up. I was very sensitive to light so they put me in a dark room all by myself. I was cold and wet and asked the nurse for a blanket. She told me they couldn't get me a blanket until they took my vitals. I was in that room for over 45 minutes, shivering, trying not to throw up. I finally was brought to a bed and my vitals were taken and I was given several warm blankets. I'm still surprised I never complained formally to them.
I had vertigo and headaches for almost exactly a year afterwards. I think having a pony tail in my hair prevented me from cracking my skull that day. I tried ice skating again several years later, got the skates on, went to put my foot on the ice, and started having an anxiety attack. Never again. I still get an occasional vertigo or dizzy spell, and I still don't remember exactly what caused me to fall. Someone in the class said I just fell backwards, directly on my head. Luckily DD didn't actually see it happen, she just saw me laying on the ice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!