What is the deal with Rae Dunn?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Can't figure this out. I mean they are cute, and if you love them, that is great, but I don't get it.

I love it, and it fits my decor well. I was part of a local FB group that traded, but it got vicious, and I left. I refuse to get catty over pottery or visit a store several times a day.

I also refuse to pay crazy prices for stuff that will be at the Goodwill in a few years. I probably own 50 pieces altogether. We use about half of it and the other half is in the china cabinet on “display.”

Love, love love my Rae Dunn. Been collecting since it first came out. I only collect the large print pottery. It perfectly goes with my farmhouse style decor. I use some Rae Dunn and display some too!

It's not my style - I find it downright boring. I wouldn't pay regular prices for any of the items, let alone the inflated prices it resells for, but to each his own.

I have three pieces from TJMaxx cause i liked them. I have a friend that collects and gets really into it. I don't get many collector crazes [Dooney and Bourke for example], but to each their own. I love and collect Fiestaware and I'm sure some don't get that, but I'm not on any facebook groups ,etc for it.

Last edited:

I have three pieces from TJMaxx cause i liked them. I have a friend that collects and gets really into it. I don't get many collector crazes [Dooney and Bourke for example], but to each their own. I love and collect Fiestaware and I'm sure some don't get that, but I'm not on any facebook groups ,etc for it.
I do have a couple of the Fiestaware collections myself, but nothing over the top.

I just recently picked up a few pieces that I like as well. It goes very well with my decor. I don’t have room for a whole bunch of it, and I will use mine, not just collect it to collect it. And I most definitely won’t be paying any inflated prices for it. Some of the marked up prices I have seen are insane!!

I had to look up an see what this was.
It turns out I have some knock-off dog bowls LOL.

I don't understand it either, but I also do not prefer decor that has writing or sayings. But to each their own. I cannot imagine long term the pieces are going to hold any kind of value.

I had to look up an see what this was.
It turns out I have some knock-off dog bowls LOL.
I had to look it up too. It would look great in a simple farmhouse style house, but that’s not my style. Thank goodness, one less thing to spend my money on.

I don't understand it either, but I also do not prefer decor that has writing or sayings. But to each their own. I cannot imagine long term the pieces are going to hold any kind of value.

I am so with you on this. I don't need my coffee mug to say "coffee" on it or my flour canister to say "flour." I prefer painted/pattern decorated ceramics. I also prefer clear canisters for storing pantry goods so I can know what things are and see how much I have left. Also, these particular things just look cheap and amateurish. I see what I guess are knockoffs at Target and they are so tacky looking. I did not realize this style was a "thing" until this thread. The stuff people latch onto and collect mystifies me sometimes. These are definitely not heirloom quality things. It's a fad style. It will be old news in a year or two.

I had to google this brand and I can't believe that people think it's cute. No offense to anyone who likes it, there's just nothing to it, imo.

Wait just a minute... this stuff is expensive. Nope, no way, I *definitely* don't get it now.

It looks like something you'd find at Wal-Mart in the home decor section.

Wait just a minute... this stuff is expensive. Nope, no way, I *definitely* don't get it now.

You aren't kidding, I had no idea how much the "real" stuff was.
I grabbed a couple dog bowls at Christmas Tree Shop for like $6 or $7 and they are just cute enough to keep on the floor in the kitchen.

I don’t know anyone who collects Rae Dunn and thinks it is heirloom quality or that it will be “worth something” in the future. I think people (myself included) purchase it because it goes with a farmhouse style decor. It looks fantastic in my newly renovated home. Everyone that comes over comments on how much they love the Rae Dunn pieces. I think you need to see them styled in a decor that they work in to truely appreciate them.

I am happy to hear so many others hate the look - more for me to find at tj maxx!

You aren't kidding, I had no idea how much the "real" stuff was.
I grabbed a couple dog bowls at Christmas Tree Shop for like $6 or $7 and they are just cute enough to keep on the floor in the kitchen.

Where are you all getting that it’s expensive?

Bowls are around $5. Mugs are $5. The most expensive things are some of the canisters and they are $20.

I get tons of compliments on my Rae Dunn things. My house is all farmhouse style, though. I didn’t pay much for it, and when it goes out of style in a few years, I’ll give it away and get all new stuff. For now it makes me happy to drink out of my “puppy love” or “dog mom” mug and my dogs drinking from their “rescued” bowl, but we are tacky like that....

@#1hoosierfan I googled it and found some dog bowls on Amazon. They were like $30. Could have been 3rd party mark up, I really didn't pay too much
attention.

I think it's cute stuff, but my kitchen is small and would be overwhelmed with more than a few pieces. Like you said, it's trendy and it's something that will be "out" in a couple years so it can be changed. I don't think anyone is really buying this and thinking they are heirloom pieces, they are just a current trendy fun style.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!