What is the current stateroom gift on the fantasy?

A used disposable water bottle doesn't make for much of a momento, though.
I guess that is my point: I place zero value on my sling bag as a “memento” and after realizing it was too small to use as a beach bag and I trashed rather than trying to stuff it in a suitcase. If there is merchandise I want as a souvenir, I’ll by it (but I guarantee it won’t be a sling bag). I’d much rather have something I could use on the ship like bottled water, upgraded soap/shampoo, free popcorn as one pp mentioned, or something else consumable so I don’t have to carry it home.

I guess that is my point: I place zero value on my sling bag as a “memento” and after realizing it was too small to use as a beach bag and I trashed rather than trying to stuff it in a suitcase. If there is merchandise I want as a souvenir, I’ll by it (but I guarantee it won’t be a sling bag). I’d much rather have something I could use on the ship like bottled water, upgraded soap/shampoo, free popcorn as one pp mentioned, or something else consumable so I don’t have to carry it home.
This thread is all about the stateroom gift, which is to be kept as a momento. If you're not into that, fine, but that is the topic at hand.

This thread is all about the stateroom gift, which is to be kept as a momento. If you're not into that, fine, but that is the topic at hand.

I disagree with this. For you the stateroom gift is thought of as a memento. That doesn't mean others feel that way. A gift should be something that the receiver would enjoy or could use. If someone would rather receive a gift of bottle water, than that is what they would like to receive. No reason to tell them they are wrong for saying what they would like just because it's not the same as what you would like. I've gotten the art cards mailed to me after every cruise we've taken, I would consider those more of a momento of our cruises. A six pack of free water in my stateroom would be more appreciated by me because then I wouldn't have to buy as much during our cruise. Everyone has different things they would like. Sharing ideas is the reason for this thread.

We've only been on 2 cruises so far, spaced 2 yrs apart, so we've gotten 1 sling bag so far. I like the sling bag, I used it for a girl scout overnight at the Museum of Science to carry the troop first aid kit, my water bottle, and paperwork. It's not meant to be a beach bag, it's a day pack to carry the essentials in. At the Disney parks, they sell sling bags for $28...yeah, it cost much less for Disney to buy them, but it's the perceived value of an item.

For frequent cruisers, maybe at the Gold level and higher, they should give you a choice of items or let you 'decline' the gift for something consumable--be it bottles of water, 'free coffee/tea' tix for Cove cafe, a snack item, whatever.

I disagree with this. For you the stateroom gift is thought of as a memento. That doesn't mean others feel that way. A gift should be something that the receiver would enjoy or could use. If someone would rather receive a gift of bottle water, than that is what they would like to receive. No reason to tell them they are wrong for saying what they would like just because it's not the same as what you would like. I've gotten the art cards mailed to me after every cruise we've taken, I would consider those more of a momento of our cruises. A six pack of free water in my stateroom would be more appreciated by me because then I wouldn't have to buy as much during our cruise. Everyone has different things they would like. Sharing ideas is the reason for this thread.
lklgoodman put it better than I could. To me, the concept of a stateroom gift from DCL is "Welcome to the cruise and here's something to thank you for being a repeat customer." I don't see why that has to be a memento.

lklgoodman put it better than I could. To me, the concept of a stateroom gift from DCL is "Welcome to the cruise and here's something to thank you for being a repeat customer." I don't see why that has to be a memento.
As a frequent traveler, I have to second this. While some of the past items have been nice as a memento in their own way, that is not always the point of a gift from the loyalty club.

Different hotel brands and chains under the same brand do different things at check in. It can range from free meals, waters, drink vouchers or snacks to extra bonus points. The airlines are similar with the added bonus of upgrades. While upgrades are not really possible most of those other things are options.

Many places allow you to choose one or the other. As people cruise more often it might be nice to have an option. At online check in you could select gift or a cheese plate or bottle of wine or other item.

I used the Sling bag on our excursions. The one thing I did this last trip was put a piece of red duct tape (I always bring a roll along in case of suitcase malfunction) around the handle and in a couple different places on the body of the bag....thinking of the airport "all bags look alike etc" My fear is always that someone might mistake it for theirs.

Now that I am back home, I am using it for dog training essentials that I need to bring to class. It is smaller than a backpack and again if something happens to it, I am not really out anything. Plus seeing the Disney Cruise line logo makes me happy.

It would be nice to have a choice but I will take what I can get!

Just curious if anyone just getting off one of the September cruises has any good news about a new/different Castaway Club in room gift?

Got off the Fantasy on Saturday 9/7/19 and the same slingbag. I gave it to our new cruisers traveling with us. I’ll be on the Dream on 11/18/19 so fingers crossed for something new.

Got off the Fantasy on Saturday 9/7/19 and the same slingbag. I gave it to our new cruisers traveling with us. I’ll be on the Dream on 11/18/19 so fingers crossed for something new.

We have a Very Merry late this year and I am with you... crossing my fingers. We are near the time when it switched 2 years ago and 4 years ago so maybe we will get lucky.

Please let us know if it switches by your cruise. We go in Jan. and I'm hoping for something new also.

Lol. I go November 18th on a 4 night cruise, but also on January 11th on a 7 night! Hopefully one of those trips will be a new gift!

I had posted this in an older thread. We have two unused sling bags at home. On last year's cruise when we received another (along with those huge luggage tags), I left everything unused in our stateroom when we disembarked.

If you travel often and have things like stateroom gifts that you don’t want or need, a suggestion is to give it to your local Women’s shelter, Ronald McDonald house, hospital or men’s shelter. They can always find a use for them and would be forever grateful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter