What is the best time to go to Disney parks?

Best is a relative term - for me, when it is lowest crowds is best. ( for me specifically early September - after the holiday ). But others will argue Halloween or Christmas for the decorations. ( which are also lovely )

Is there certain time of day or season that is the best? Which park?
I think a lot of people will give you different answers. It depends on what you expect/want to see. If you want to go to a party, Halloween or Christmas might be a fun time for you. It used to be said that fall was a slow time, but it has become busier and busier every year. They do have free dining offered in the fall if you're able to get it at a hotel that you like.

I think the summer has been slowing down a little bit compared to fall because it's ridiculously hot once you get to late June and on. It's still busy since kids are out of school, though.

We personally like going the end of February and beginning of March. It barely rains, crowds aren't too bad because it's before spring break, and it's been warm enough to swim the last two years at that time. I really haven't been during other times of the year so that's my opinion and it isn't great with my lack of experience. Hopefully, you will get an answer from someone who has been at a different time.

There are definitely days where the crowds are so huge you will be packed like sardines - Christmas Day and 4th of July come to mind. If you are traveling in December you might want to avoid the hotel where all the Pop Warner players stay. Maybe avoid weekends with Monday holidays, RunDisney events and festivals? There is no such thing as a light crowd any more but if you don't have children go in the middle of the week during the school year.

One of the least expensive and least crowded times in in the first two weeks of December. Value resorts will be packed with Pop Warner competitors, however. The month of January is next "best" as far as price and crowds go; but unfortunately I've never been able to experience this. I would love to go in January because of the weather, too.

One of the least expensive and least crowded times in in the first two weeks of December. Value resorts will be packed with Pop Warner competitors, however. The month of January is next "best" as far as price and crowds go; but unfortunately I've never been able to experience this. I would love to go in January because of the weather, too.
I've always found this to make no sense. (Not to say I don't believe you.) So the Pop Warner kids don't go to the parks?

I've always found this to make no sense. (Not to say I don't believe you.) So the Pop Warner kids don't go to the parks?
They do, but we found parks crowding at that time of year to be "relatively" low compared with summer and holiday weeks, of course. I never expect WDW to have "low" crowds...whether it's school groups, international volleyball teams, or summer break families, there are always crowds. In early December most school kids are not going to be on vacation, and many who travel in December are waiting until the holidays. I think that's what makes early December comparatively low crowding.

The big difference we noticed in early December was with the crowding at the hotel. Our stay overlapped the arrival of Pop Warner kids...so we had 2-3 days without them and 2-3 days with them. HUGE change after they arrived. We stayed at Coronado, which we were told by a CM (after the fact) is an overflow for the value resorts. We didn't have "problems," but every night when the competitions were done the lobby and public areas of the hotel were overrun by teens who acted as though they were the only ones there. I went to the QS to get drinks and snacks but was crowded out and many teens pushed past me to get ahead. I just didn't like the atmosphere the public areas had when there were so many young people rushing everywhere. We haven't had any issue at CSR during other stays.

ETA: I'm also not sure what all is involved with their competitions...it's possible they don't have the freedom of schedule to be in the parks each day. I haven't had enough experience to know. I think they may get more crowded on the weekend because of that. The week we were there was the first time I'd even ever heard of Pop Warner.

Is there certain time of day or season that is the best? Which park?

Since I have the freedom to travel at times when kids are in school, I like the following time periods:

End of January (after MLK day). We practically walked up to Expedition Everest and rode it a couple times in a row. Weather is nice (low humidity) and coming from the snowy Northeast, even a cold January for Florida is balmy for me.

Mid August: Yeah it's hot and humid, but crowds dwindle down once the southern states schools reopen

Late September: Crowds grow on weekends, but for the most part during the week it was manageable.

My least favorite time ever: Between Christmas and New Years, sure the decorations are nice but you're packed in those parks like sardines...

Week after Thanksgiving is great weather and the crowds are not too bad. MK closes early 3-4 nights a week for MVMCP. September after Labor day has really low crowds but expect rain and its hot. Also MK closes early 3 or 4 nights for MNSSHP. We like September better plus F&W at Epcot!

Avoid:
Holidays
Weekends
Special Events (Food & Wine, etc.)
Marathon
Summer
School Breaks

Basically, just avoid it all together if you hate crowds. It is ALWAYS crowded now, but your best bet is wintertime the week after/before a government holiday (except X-Mas/New Years).

Best is a relative term - for me, when it is lowest crowds is best. ( for me specifically early September - after the holiday ). But others will argue Halloween or Christmas for the decorations. ( which are also lovely )

We are doing the girls first trip at Christmas for the decorations... Hopefully they won't be disappointed if we go back another time of year!

We like the beginning of May 1-10
before Mothers Day
Before schools are out, including colleges

Nice weather to fly and at WDW
Less clothes to pack - 1 pair of jeans, 1 sweatshirt
The rest of the clothes take up less room in the suitcase :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter