What is the best DVC resort for Golf players to stay at?

PleasejointheFarque

Mouseketeer
HI there,

The DH is an avid golfer and we have 3 nights before our long BLT stay to find a resort that may give us both what we want... golf, Disney springs and park access.

Where would you choose: Old Key West or Saratoga Springs? Or do you have another resort that may appeal to us?
It would be a studio, points per night isn't an issue.
We will have a car, but he really likes the idea of being close/on the courses for at least 2 days.

For you seasoned DVC Golfers, what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Saratoga Springs! Easy access to golf and Disney Springs. I love being able to walk to and from it. Just did it a few weeks back.

For park, you can take a bus, but it takes longer. When I was there with a larger group few years back, we took Uber to all but MK.

Per your criteria, I'd go with SSR. In terms of travel to parks, SSR and OKW are on fairly even terms. Bus or drive, and the times will be within minutes of each others. However, for golfing and access to DS, SSR beats OKW. There are two primary areas at SSR that have the best access (i.e., walkable) to Disney Springs, Congress Park and Grandstand. Congress Park is closer to DS but farther from the golf course, though I have walked that distance and it took less than 10 minutes. On the other hand, the Grandstand area is located close to the golf course but has a slightly longer walk to DS. Either way, if you manage to get either section, you'll be fine. In fact, regardless of where you are in SSR, you won't be a terribly long distance away from either DS or golfing.

As far as golf goes, your chosen DVC Resort is not actually much of an issue. The clubhouse for the Lake Buena Vista course is at SSR and thus fairly easy access (although I would not consider walking to the course hauling clubs to be ideal). You need to travel to Shades of Green to play the other two courses, Palm and Magnolia, or the nine-hole, executive course, Oak Trail.

If you do not have a car, Disney actually provides complimentary transportation (although you need to tip) between the resorts and the courses. With a car, access is easy from anywhere, with SSR and OKW being nearest to Lake Buena Vista, and Poly and VGF nearest to Palm, Magnolia, and Oak Trail.

If he has not golfed at WDW before, and will be using the DVC discount then be aware: (a) there is a Disney golf site, golfWDW.com, and he should go there and set up an online account; (b) you can set up tee times on that site (with or without the DVC discount); (c) as long as you are two players or more, you can set up the tee time up to 90 days in advance; a single player reserving a time can do so only beginning 3 days before a tee time; (d) golfers are usually matched with others to make a foursome if possible; (e) that three-day rule can possibly have implications for selecting a desired time if you are a single although often you can find something close to the time you want by joining a threesome or twosome; (g) rounds can take a long time, often 4 1/2, and sometimes even five, hours when you get, as can usually occur at a resort course, many slow golfers ; (h) early morning golfers may sometimes have a better chance of playing quick rounds, under four hours, but the profit-hungry golf-gods that run the courses have set up a system called Sunrise 9, which is designed to cause even early morning golfers to have long rounds; under Sunrise 9, golfers who only want to do nine holes (which are often slow golfers) can set up tee times starting at 7 a.m. off the 10th hole, with the result that early morning 18-hole golfers, who start on the first hole, can often play the first nine quickly and then run into a wall when they reach the back nine.

Last edited:

You need to travel to Shades of Green to play the other two courses, Palm and Magnolia, or the nine-hole, executive course, Oak Trail.

Because you have a car, neither of these is a big issue from OKW or SSR. However, I will note it is a well-known hack that those staying at SOG can walk to the Poly for monorail transport and it is very close there.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and tips, we thought OKW was the main golfing resort but looks like SSR is the way to go.

Regarding the Sunrise 9, he did that last year and swears by it, he loved it. He was able to tee off early and be able to meet me at the parks for a late breakfast, didn't impact my park time so we were both happy campers :)

Quick question, can he keep his clubs at the course for the 3 days we are at SSR so he doesn't have to carry them back and forth? Once we move to BLT he will be golfing offsite half the time so will have them with him in our tinsy tiny BLT studio (oh goodie).

Also, (totally off disney topic) has anyone played Sawgrass in Jacksonville? thoughts?

Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and tips, we thought OKW was the main golfing resort but looks like SSR is the way to go.

Regarding the Sunrise 9, he did that last year and swears by it, he loved it. He was able to tee off early and be able to meet me at the parks for a late breakfast, didn't impact my park time so we were both happy campers :)

Quick question, can he keep his clubs at the course for the 3 days we are at SSR so he doesn't have to carry them back and forth? Once we move to BLT he will be golfing offsite half the time so will have them with him in our tinsy tiny BLT studio (oh goodie).

Also, (totally off disney topic) has anyone played Sawgrass in Jacksonville? thoughts?

Thanks again.

Have not played Sawgrass.

You can store clubs at the pro shops of the Disney golf courses.

Those in the Sunrise 9 can generally finish quicker since they are only playing 9 holes and if they start early at 7 or shortly after, they can do it in less than 2 hours. The problem with Sunrise 9 is that it ruins the round for those who are playing 18 holes early and starting on the first hole because they often get slowed to a crawl when they reach the back nine because of all the Sunrise golfers who started on the back nine. Very often those early morning 18-hole golfers are those who got those early times with the expectation of being able to finish an 18-hole round in under four hours. The Sunrise 9 system destroys any such expectations.

Last edited:

If you do not want to use your own car, Disney will provide a complementary taxi from your hotel to any of their golf courses.

Just played in May with the Boys. Stayed at OKW since units are larger. Boat to springs. Comp taxi to courses clubs left and taken to next course next day waiting on cart ready to go comp taxi back. Rooms at OKW close to course so was even able to do quick beverage stop and keep playin. We know of some spouse that had coffees ready as they came close. SSR is close for walking to springs and one course but I would do OKW again.

Just played in May with the Boys. Stayed at OKW since units are larger. Boat to springs. Comp taxi to courses clubs left and taken to next course next day waiting on cart ready to go comp taxi back. Rooms at OKW close to course so was even able to do quick beverage stop and keep playin. We know of some spouse that had coffees ready as they came close. SSR is close for walking to springs and one course but I would do OKW again.
[/QUOTE

great info! Deciding for our June trip between OKW and SSR. Driving range is at SSR, correct? Is it walkable from OKW?

A bit of a walk but yes. I dont know about the paths if they are xart only. If staying onsite and playing carts included. We actually were lucky on day when a CM on the course just had an extended cart and drove us back to OKW so no taxi needed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!