What is the abandoned cabin?

E$JDad

Earning My Ears
My son and I were fishing at the dam behind the 300 loop back in June. If you look across the canal, you can see what looks like an abandoned cabin. We were just curious if anyone knows the story behind it.

We asked the security officer on the golf cart when he made his rounds and he said he has heard several stories about it and did not know what was true so he didn’t want to say and give the wrong information. Also asked the lady when we returned the rental fishing pole and she didn’t even know it was back there.

Oh the memories! That was the Marshmallow Marsh cabin. We loved this excursion as kids. You would board canoes at the Meadow Trading post and paddle along the waterways singing songs with CMs telling jokes. The magic took place near that cabin with a campfire and then fireworks and Electrical Water Pageant viewing. We loved this back in the early days of the Fort :) Marshmallow Marsh was a classic FW experience. Chip and Dale would also visit. In behind the cabin there was a boardwalk through the swampy area.

Twenty years ago in a fall trip, the Fort offered a "Haunted Hayride" that left out from the hayride loading area across from the HDDR entrance and the horses pulled the hayride wagon past the Settlement Trading Post along the dirt road towards that cabin and the water way intake from Bay Lake. The cabin was just across the water way. Anyway, just past the TP, we picked up a CM dressed as an old timer with a lantern who told us a story that these woods were haunted. Our 3 kids were between 5-10yo and bought it hook, line, and sinker.

We got out to the cabin and started to loop around for a return when the Headless Horseman burst out from behind the cabin and chased after us. The kids dove onto the floor of the wagon and peeked over the edge as we "managed to outrun" the HH who gave up chase.

This is a recent pic of the HH in front of the new TCD Horse Barn. Wish they would bring back the Haunted Hayride again.

1689297305999.png

Our kids, now young adults, are still uncomfortable going out near that cabin in daylight even now.

Good memories indeed.

Bama Ed

Twenty years ago in a fall trip, the Fort offered a "Haunted Hayride" that left out from the hayride loading area across from the HDDR entrance and the horses pulled the hayride wagon past the Settlement Trading Post along the dirt road towards that cabin and the water way intake from Bay Lake. The cabin was just across the water way. Anyway, just past the TP, we picked up a CM dressed as an old timer with a lantern who told us a story that these woods were haunted. Our 3 kids were between 5-10yo and bought it hook, line, and sinker.

We got out to the cabin and started to loop around for a return when the Headless Horseman burst out from behind the cabin and chased after us. The kids dove onto the floor of the wagon and peeked over the edge as we "managed to outrun" the HH who gave up chase.

This is a recent pic of the HH in front of the new TCD Horse Barn. Wish they would bring back the Haunted Hayride again.

View attachment 777452

Our kids, now young adults, are still uncomfortable going out near that cabin in daylight even now.

Good memories indeed.

Bama Ed
What a great story.

Sometime in the 90's, my DH and I wandered back into the cabin area after a hurricane/tropical storm had come through. At this point the area was abandoned but not restricted. We hiked what was left of the "boardwalk" and it was precarious. I'm glad we did that since you can't go back there now.

I would have loved to have been able to enjoy this area during its heyday. Our parents were not interested in the fort when we were kids.

Long before it was used for special events, it was a cabin you could stay in. It used to be in one of the camper loops.

Long before that, (admittedly I don't know how true this part is, but i've read it on many different sites and heard it from different people.) The cabin, or a cabin very similar to it, was already there when Disney bought the property. Roy Disney stayed in it!

Long before it was used for special events, it was a cabin you could stay in. It used to be in one of the camper loops.

Long before that, (admittedly I don't know how true this part is, but i've read it on many different sites and heard it from different people.) The cabin, or a cabin very similar to it, was already there when Disney bought the property. Roy Disney stayed in it!
This is one of the tales they told at Marshmallow Marsh at that cabin in the 70s. Could be true, could be a tale, we believed it as kids because why wouldn't we? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter