What is something that is insignificant but you miss now that its gone at WDW?

The table-service restaurants used to have logo-specific napkins. Chef Mickey's used to have a menu- yes, for a buffet- that the characters would sign. Butter pats used to be round and have Mickey or Minnie heads embossed on them. Resort-specific mugs. Character buses in World Showcase.
Not so insignificant... Live entertainers in every country of World Showcase. Street entertainers in HS and MK. Opening shows outside AK. Something, ANYTHING, in all those empty buildings at Epcot. Having your hotel rate be the same for all nights of your stay as they were for your check-in day. Tickets that were good forever, until you used up the days/amenities. Being able to cancel days at the start/end of your hotel reservation instead of having to make an entirely new reservation.

Hmm seems like you've listed so much that its not worth you going anymore.
YIKES.

• The smell of the invisible ink they would stamp you with for reentry on your way out
  • The 1970's paper bags with the Mickey balloon head pattern
  • When (whatever it's going by now) was called The Lake Buena Vista Shopping Village. There used to be really cool shops, one was devoted to plants and topiaries
  • When one of the shops in Frontier Land sold Breyer horses. I used to save my money and be thrilled at coming out with a new horse in a box with a handle (my daughter would have loved this!)
  • The game room at the Contemporary was amazing! There was also a little movie theater in the back. I love The Wave but that game room was pretty cool.

Last edited:

8-Trax

resort specific merchandise (I used to love getting a tee or sweat shirt from the resort hotel I'd stayed in on that trip!)

and I actually miss the HUGE selection of postcards they used to sell. I'd send some and keep the rest as souvenirs because they were certainly better than any pictures I could take ....AND...I didn't want to fart around with a camera. I still have lots of postcards from the '70s and '80s as well as all the View Master slides from the early years. They are absolute treasures!

Kind of silly, but back in the 80s, Guest Services was in Epcot ("Earth Station", I think it was called) and there were these big digital billboards that showed the different attractions. (You can see pictures of them here.) I used to just love those digital billboards - back then they were really cool and cutting-edge!

I miss a lot of the little street entertainment that used to be at the theme parks. Not nearly so much of that. Back then once I was old enough not to go with my mother (who i learned my touring plan by doing the opposite of what she did) we'd go right by it early in the morning to do rides. But when the park got crowded and Space Mountain was 3 hours (there were no fast passes back then) we'd just go around do some of the lesser attractions having already done the big ones and watch some of the entertainment.

I miss park specific, ride specific, and resort specific merch. At least they've gone back to location specificity. For awhile they were selling shirts and mugs and the like that all they said on em was Disney Parks. Can you at least put Disneyland or Walt Disney World on em?

push the talking trash can. we didn't see him often, but when he was there we were in love. i remember him singing beauty and the beast to my oldest dd as she was dressed as belle. it makes me a little sad that my youngest dd will never experience him.
We saw PUSH in the Electric Umbrella in Epcot in March! DD8 loved him!

I missed the futuristic Epcot logos for each land. That must be in the 90s.

The trolley down main street. I sort of remember horses used to pull them. Then it became electronic. And they got rid of them entirely. Maybe in Disneyland and not WDW?

Back in the days when WDW didn't require *that* much planning. Just figured out which rides you're willing to wait for, set the wake up call and then just go. Nowadays I planned more for WDW trips than my tax return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter