What is Saratoga Springs like during the pandemic?

Disneyjohny

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are owners at Saratoga Springs and have been to Disney World many times. She's usually the one frequenting these boards, but this time I'm the one with questions to answer, so here I am.

We're due to visit over the Christmas holidays, and will be sharing a suite with family from across the country we haven't seen since last year. Setting aside all the risks associated with that, does anyone have insights to offer into how safe Saratoga is these days? And is it even any fun to hang out there now?

During a typical stay we spend a lot of time watching the kids play in the Paddock pool. Are the pools and the areas around them busy? I know people don't wear masks in the water or while relaxing in the chairs, and I worry that while we are there we will not be able to avoid getting close to lots of strangers (especially my little kids who just can't be expected to maintain social distancing on their own). Also, are cast members having pool parties for the kids?

We also frequent the Community Hall, the Playground, and the basketball and tennis courts. Are those even open?

Then there's Disney Springs. I keep hearing that it is crowded there and that people don't necessarily wear masks. Is that true even during the daytime, or is that mostly an issue after the parks close? On a typical trip to Disney we walk over to Disney Springs pretty often just for something to do on days we don't feel like visiting a park. But I don't want to bring my kids into the LEGO Store or what have you if it is going to be full of people, even if they're masked.

We stayed at SSR on a cash stay the week leading up to Labor Day weekend and over the weekend. We absolutely fell in love with the resort. The week was different than the weekend. Our area of the parking lot at Congress park had maybe five cars during the week and then was full over the weekend. Still, we never saw anyone.

we did go to both the main pool and the Paddock pool. Since it was September it was hot and the pools were crowded but we were still able to say distanced. I’m not sure if capacity was being monitored at the paddock but at the main pool, someone was giving out wristbands and noting guest numbers. The cast members played music and did the trivia games but that is all we saw them do while we were there. Since you will be there at Christmas you probably will have better luck with lower crowds in the pools. We have been at Christmas the past two years and two years ago it was too cold to swim (no one was using the WL pool) and last year we stayed a few nights at ASMovies and my girls had the Duck pond pool to themselves and the main pool wasn’t crowded.

I don’t believe the Community Hall or arcade were open. Bike rentals were available. Hope that helps a little! Enjoy your stay!!

We have an upcoming stay at SSR in December. I just called the resort and they said the walkway to Disney Springs is closed because of the pandemic...does anyone know if this is true?

We have an upcoming stay at SSR in December. I just called the resort and they said the walkway to Disney Springs is closed because of the pandemic...does anyone know if this is true?
It hasn't been.

DS has been absolutely bananas busy now that holiday decor is up, and I cannot imagine Christmas is going to be less crowded, though.

There are 2. 1 is closed the other is open. The Congress Park walking path is open to the Market Place section of DS. The one behind the Carriage House to the western side of DS is closed. With limited capacity, I don’t think they are using the parking lot there, just the parking garages, so there is no temperature screening station there, therefore the path is closed.

We are at SSR now and have visited DS twice. The walkway is not closed but you do have to walk further for temp screenings.

We stayed at SSR on a cash stay the week leading up to Labor Day weekend and over the weekend. We absolutely fell in love with the resort. The week was different than the weekend. Our area of the parking lot at Congress park had maybe five cars during the week and then was full over the weekend. Still, we never saw anyone.

we did go to both the main pool and the Paddock pool. Since it was September it was hot and the pools were crowded but we were still able to say distanced. I’m not sure if capacity was being monitored at the paddock but at the main pool, someone was giving out wristbands and noting guest numbers. The cast members played music and did the trivia games but that is all we saw them do while we were there. Since you will be there at Christmas you probably will have better luck with lower crowds in the pools. We have been at Christmas the past two years and two years ago it was too cold to swim (no one was using the WL pool) and last year we stayed a few nights at ASMovies and my girls had the Duck pond pool to themselves and the main pool wasn’t crowded.

I don’t believe the Community Hall or arcade were open. Bike rentals were available. Hope that helps a little! Enjoy your stay!!
We are at SSR now and I can tell you that Disney is doing everything they can to keep people safe. You’re right there is not a mandate for masks, however, I’ve not seen one person walk around without one. The pool area is not overly crowded but the hot tubs are...I would stay away but kids enjoyed pool everyday without worry. Also, they are having movies (socially distancing) and modified pool activities, mostly trivia and bingo. Community hall was also open but with modified hours.
Overall, Disney has impressed me with the measures they’ve put in place. We were really nervous going to Disney but haven’t felt nervous being here! I say go and enjoy your trip as best you can with modifications. This is certainly not the best way to vacation but it can be done.

My wife and I are owners at Saratoga Springs and have been to Disney World many times. She's usually the one frequenting these boards, but this time I'm the one with questions to answer, so here I am.

We're due to visit over the Christmas holidays, and will be sharing a suite with family from across the country we haven't seen since last year. Setting aside all the risks associated with that, does anyone have insights to offer into how safe Saratoga is these days? And is it even any fun to hang out there now?

During a typical stay we spend a lot of time watching the kids play in the Paddock pool. Are the pools and the areas around them busy? I know people don't wear masks in the water or while relaxing in the chairs, and I worry that while we are there we will not be able to avoid getting close to lots of strangers (especially my little kids who just can't be expected to maintain social distancing on their own). Also, are cast members having pool parties for the kids?

We also frequent the Community Hall, the Playground, and the basketball and tennis courts. Are those even open?

Then there's Disney Springs. I keep hearing that it is crowded there and that people don't necessarily wear masks. Is that true even during the daytime, or is that mostly an issue after the parks close? On a typical trip to Disney we walk over to Disney Springs pretty often just for something to do on days we don't feel like visiting a park. But I don't want to bring my kids into the LEGO Store or what have you if it is going to be full of people, even if they're masked.
We are at SSR now and I can tell you that Disney is doing everything they can to keep people safe. You’re right there is not a mandate for masks, however, I’ve not seen one person walk around without one. The pool area is not overly crowded but the hot tubs are...I would stay away but kids enjoyed pool everyday without worry. Also, they are having movies (socially distancing) and modified pool activities, mostly trivia and bingo. Community hall was also open but with modified hours.
Overall, Disney has impressed me with the measures they’ve put in place. We were really nervous going to Disney but haven’t felt nervous being here! I say go and enjoy your trip as best you can with modifications. This is certainly not the best way to vacation but it can be done.

Agree with above comments. We just left SSR and Disney is doing everything they can. We walked twice to DS from the Paddock section. We did try to take the DS bus however the frequency seemed limited and it was quicker to walk. All the other park buses came very frequent. The Paddock pool was busy but not overcrowded. DS was busy however it was manageable. Suggest you make dining reservations as these were the hardest to get (use Opentable for DS instead of Disney Dining, more times and can cancel day of).

Thank you to everyone for your responses! I was a bit nervous when they told me the walkway was closed. Glad that everyone who went recently has had a great experience.
This is our first time staying at SSR and we are excited!

We are staying at Saratoga Springs right now. The resort seems fine but, as others have pointed out, Disney Springs is much more crowded and mask compliance less than in the parks. We went one night and that was that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter