What is happening in January at WDW?

wishicouldgomoreofte

Mouseketeer
Surely the marathon will be cancelled, but maybe people are not cancelling their reservations until it is announced. Do you know dates of "happenings" in Jan?
Thanks in advance.

I've been trying to book Jan 3-8 and things get spotty around the 6th.... would that have been going into the race weekend?

I've just booked a January trip, and my two home resorts were almost booked through most of January for the studios (preferred/garden was available but I like BW view or Standard view. Managed a split stay. Hopefully we can actually enjoy, and there will be no quarantine in place. I have until Nov 30 to cancel if I want to bank those points.

I imagine anyone who can normally only go when school is out and has a late school start will be aiming for early January. Avoids blackout dates/christmas crowds and much better weather than August. Makes perfect sense for a lot of people who lost spring and early summer vacations to be aiming for there.

Bruce

All bookings are overinflated right now because of all the cancellations and rebooking occurring. After everything is open for a few months availability may open up a little. If you need to book in January get on the waitlist(if required)and see what happens. Although right now it’s studios that’s are mostly booked up in January.

In the past, that first part of Jan, particularly the Wed to Sun of the race weekend has often seen rooms at the WDW DVC resorts fill long before the 7-month window opens except possibly SSR and OKW (and sometimes even those have filled).

I was looking at a couple of weeks starting Dec 30 and changed my plans when that weekend disappeared due to probably the race. I was trying to book BWV at 11 months.

Surely the marathon will be cancelled, but maybe people are not cancelling their reservations until it is announced.
Registration just happened less than a month ago for Marathon weekend, and the races sold out in record time. I am optimistic that the race weekend will happen.

Festival of the Arts usually start towards the end of January and go into February,

Does it usually start towards the end of January or MLK Day? I hope it's the latter because I have a trip starting Martin Luther King weekend until the 23rd. I was hoping the Festival of the Arts would be open while I'm there.

We normally go in Jan and I can say from personal experience that Jan has gotten to be a very popular time for people to go. I guess because it's not as hot, the marathon, MLK Day and the festivals they seem to run year round now are all contributing factors. In addition to that you now have the situation with all the cancellations over the past few months adding to number of people trying to use their points before they loose them...

Does it usually start towards the end of January or MLK Day? I hope it's the latter because I have a trip starting Martin Luther King weekend until the 23rd. I was hoping the Festival of the Arts would be open while I'm there.

Hi, this past Jan the festival was open during MLK weekend and the place was a MESS! The crowds were just crazy! Of course part of that could have been due to the new Stars Wars Land at HS. I'm hoping this coming Jan won't be so crazy, if it is I may have to rethink when we go. It wasn't much fun fighting the crowds. IG was a mess!

My son and girlfriend were booked right after registration opened for the marathon jan7-14. On a lark we just looked today to join them jan 9 -13. Yes things always get tight. And if you're planning to run registration may already be closed. We are both in OKW studios.

How crazy is it leading into marathon weekend? We will be gone by that Friday, but we were really hoping for low crowds (for once in our lives).

Is Festival of the Arts fun or good? Is it recommended?

Is Festival of the Arts fun or good? Is it recommended?
I like F&W best, followed by F&G, followed by Fest of the Holidays. Arts is my least favorite. But it is still good.
How crazy is it leading into marathon weekend? We will be gone by that Friday, but we were really hoping for low crowds (for once in our lives).
The Expo starts on Wednesday, first race is Thursday (5K), Friday is 10K, Sat is Half, Sun is Full. Lots of people arrive for the start of the Expo to get the special items for sale.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!