What is going on w Disney?

GordonJRG123

Earning My Ears
Hello, just trying to feel out everyone’s opinions on the current state of Disney. We have bee DVC members for around 20 years and it seems like the magic has dissolved. From the ridiculous pricing to the genie app. Everything cost extra. Even w using the genie app your lucky to get two good rides per day, and that’s only if your up at dawn. We’re scheduled for a trip in early January and I’m already starting to get anxious. If it weren’t for a stop at Universal, I would probably skip it. Is anyone else feeling the same way?

No.

Not the same as it used to be as planning is more difficult (although we tend to forget it wasn't a picnic having to make choices 180 days out either!). But it's still our happy place to get away as often as we can. We find the product, the cast members, and the options to be what we still love and enjoy. Just our opinion - some will agree, some will bash on Disney.

But I do hope your trip is fun and memorable, and you remember how much you've enjoyed Disney over the years. Just don't overthink it - the Genie app isn't all bad (other than the extra cost, of course). But you can also enjoy the parks without it, if that's what's causing anxiety.

Remember when Disney's tag line was "The Place Where Dreams Come True"? Well now its a much easier to understand tag line, "It's all about the Money!"

Disney has always really been for those that plan, but now you have to plan and pay up to play. We'll see what happens in the next year or two as I think our recession/inflation is going to get worse before it gets better and I think Disney will start to feel the pain.

I disagree about G+ and two rides. We've never had an issue, don't rope drop, and have spent wonderful afternoons and evenings from stacking rides. All without the crack of dawn.

No, it's not the same these days, but life's too short to continue going if it's not your vibe any more. Find a new happy place! It's hard to do and maybe that will make you satisfied with Disney again - or you have just found something better!

I think it's more magical now because of Genie+ and iLL. Less waiting. More rides. More free time to enjoy shopping and dining.

Everyone always complains about Disney's cost, I would like to know when Disney was ever a cheap? I have been going for 25+ years and it's always been by far and away the most expensive vacation we go on. Has it gotten more expensive sure but what hasn't. I would argue that Universal is slowly creeping up to Disney levels and with the new park opening it's probably going to be just as expensive.

I disagree about G+ and two rides. We've never had an issue, don't rope drop, and have spent wonderful afternoons and evenings from stacking rides. All without the crack of dawn.
Agree 100% - our experiences, too. Normally, we'll get 4-5-6 attractions, at least, through G+/LL - all without major anxiety.

Everyone always complains about Disney's cost, I would like to know when Disney was ever a cheap? I have been going for 25+ years and it's always been by far and away the most expensive vacation we go on. Has it gotten more expensive sure but what hasn't. I would argue that Universal is slowly creeping up to Disney levels and with the new park opening it's probably going to be just as expensive.
Aren't Universal park tickets just as/almost as expensive as Disney? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the occasional trip to Universal - they have some great attractions, too. But it's not like Disney has been piling on the costs and Universal hasn't. Inflation has been hitting the entire theme park industry - actually, been impacting almost everything.

A quick search found that a one day ticket cost $50 in 2002. Adjusted for inflation that is $85 today. I still have MNSSHP tickets from 2002 that cost us $29. A family of 4 could spend a weekend at Disney during Halloween season, have 2 days in a park plus attend MNSSHP, and pay $716, which would be $1200 today. That same $1200 wouldn't even get you 2 park days or a park day and MNSSHP with today's prices.

An annual pass in 2015 cost $749. Adjusted for inflation that is $946 today. But a pass today costs $1399 before tax. The price almost doubled in less than a decade.

Yes, Disney has always been expensive, but it truly wasn't that unreasonable not that long ago. However, throw in that you pay now for Genie+, that you pay for resort parking, that Magical Express is gone, that Epcot has had walls in the middle of the park for 4 years......you get the picture.

I agree with the OP that the magic is harder to find. Throw the crazy costs into it and I understand why a lot of people are going from "Disney costs a lot but the quality is worth it" to "what happened to the Disney magic?'

I will agree that prices have increased at a greater extent than inflation but I also remember 5-7 years ago when everyone was upset because the parks were too busy. Yes they cost less than but because of that more people went which drove up the crowds. For years it was talked about Disney needing to increase prices to decrease the crowds.

Do I love the price increases? No. Do I like the parks less busy? Yes.

And, before people start to say it's unfair to those who can't afford to go - that's just they way life works. There are many, many things in life that I cannot afford. Do I say it's unfair because I cannot? No. I just do without or, save, save, save to do something I really want to do.

Life will never be 'fair' - including the ability to visit Disney.

For our family it's something we still really enjoy and we are blessed to be able to go by choosing not to do some other things and saving for a while until we can go. For us it's still our happy place and we cannot wait to go again - and thus we save to do that.

Each person/family should do what works for them. There is no 'one size fits all' answer to this.

Last edited:
This "equation" is going to math out differently for everyone. You don't need to build a consensus online to make a decision for yourself. Yes, Disney has changed A LOT. Some people don't mind. Other people feel like "the good old days" are gone. If Disney doesn't make you happy anymore, that's okay. It can be true for you and not for someone else and that's all equally valid. Find something new - go experience this big beautiful world in a different way. Enjoy the memories you made while you DID love Disney. It is frustrating to feel like something you loved is slipping away. The best thing anyone can do for themselves in ANY situation is to give yourself the gift of what IS. You used to love Disney - maybe now, what is, is that you don't. Go find your next happy place and love it just as much :-)

No.

Not the same as it used to be as planning is more difficult (although we tend to forget it wasn't a picnic having to make choices 180 days out either!). But it's still our happy place to get away as often as we can. We find the product, the cast members, and the options to be what we still love and enjoy. Just our opinion - some will agree, some will bash on Disney.

But I do hope your trip is fun and memorable, and you remember how much you've enjoyed Disney over the years. Just don't overthink it - the Genie app isn't all bad (other than the extra cost, of course). But you can also enjoy the parks without it, if that's what's causing anxiety.
This ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter