What incentives are left to stay on-site?

I've had the worst luck off site.

I actually had a waitress laugh at me when I asked about gluten free. We just sucked it up and waited until we were onsite to eat.

On site, I've not had a problem.

Easy to get legitimate 4-Star accomodations for less than $300. Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress comes to mind.

Location?

Its the only incentive to us at this point. Once we realized that we didn't HAVE to waste hours of vacation days waiting on busses/ferries/monorail, there is no going without a car anymore. If you have a car, you are just as well off at the DS hotels, or at Bonnet Creek for considerably less money. The only thing that pushed us on-site for our next trip is that we can walk to F&W everyday from EPCOT and not have to designate a driver or grab a taxi or a Minnie Van. We figure the extra $24 a night would even out to what we would pay in taxis to/from any other resort.

I think it was a small thing, she was just waiting to see if they cleaned properly. If this was the case, I would just take the credit for no housekeeping and do it myself which I feel I am better at anyway. Our rooms at POR in the past few visits have really not been clean after they left and we work hard every morning before we leave to leave it picked up so they are able to clean. Overall housekeeping has gone way down hill compared to other vacation spots. I think that may be what she is referring to. In the years when my daughters were younger this was not the case. The room was spotless and the little towel animals left made my daughters so happy. We have not had an animal since 2010. And they are extremely uncomfortable leaving some of their things in the room, we have had to bring a locked extra suitcase since we drive and we had never really felt like that before. Bigger kids, bigger and more expensive electronics. One day on our last trip, we just ask for things and told her she did not have to clean the room, but our housekeeper could not speak English and we had to go to her cart and pick out those things we needed ourselves. Its just a different place than even 10 years ago, still nice, just different. I can only comment on POR, we have not stayed anywhere else except once at Beach Club. I think because we have had those great experiences in the past, it is more noticeable when they seem to disappear.

You must've missed my subsequent comments where I do agree on the poster's other issues, such as the dirty bathroom (which they left out the first post). I can understand them not inspecting all the surfaces in the room, especially if there are personal belongings on them. I don't know the state of that poster's room but in ours the tables and counters often catch a lot of clutter so I don't expect housekeeping to wipe all that down. I think there's this idea that housekeepers are coming in and doing a total deep clean, and I don't think that's what's happening anymore, even if it did at one time. They just don't have the time to do all this. I'm not excusing it but there's some wild variances in expectations, part of that comes with the very high room cost and of course the front line staff bear the brunt of the abuse normally.

People want their rooms early, they want to not be disturbed at certain hours during the day. People on here are critical because they do not speak english well or question their intelligence. Honestly, I feel bad for the housekeeping staff. You couldn't pay me enough to do that job.

The towel animal thing goes hand in hand with the time issue. They are consistently understaffed, (look at the bonus amounts for referring a new hire) so if the actual cleaning is slipping how do people actually expect towel animals?

If you feel you can get more for less by staying off property, then you should do it.

I just feel that often times people don't place enough value on the quality of the resort itself. Some think that all rooms with king sized beds are the same and that a hotel is the same thing as a resort.

Good quality doesn’t necessarily mean good value, though.

You can definitely get equal (or better) quality offsite. You can get better location and arguably better theming on-site, but the on-site quality is not better.

If you feel you can get more for less by staying off property, then you should do it.

I just feel that often times people don't place enough value on the quality of the resort itself. Some think that all rooms with king sized beds are the same and that a hotel is the same thing as a resort.
After these trips where my parking is grandfathered in I will be staying off property. I love having a king bed and have always hated how Disney makes it impossible to get unless I stay at a moderate or in a club level room. And there are a lot of nice resorts that are less than half the cost of a Disney one. I won't stay somewhere I don't feel is quality and has really nice rooms even if it's just to sleep. I used to love staying on property and always suggested it to people. But with the room checks and taking the perks away I've had enough. It no longer feels magical to me.

After staying offsite as a kid and then staying onsite as an adult, I never thought I would consider staying offsite again. We almost always have a car now though, because the WDW transportation is garbage and we go to Universal too. We have APs, so no fee at the parks. We never do a package or the dining plan. I do like the convenience of 180+10 day ADRs. I thought the biggest perk besides location was 60 day FP+, but that's not exclusive anymore. I'm on the fence, but I might consider an offsite stay sometime soon. I never thought I would say that until the hotel prices doubled in 5 years and the new parking fees.

You must've missed my subsequent comments where I do agree on the poster's other issues, such as the dirty bathroom (which they left out the first post). I can understand them not inspecting all the surfaces in the room, especially if there are personal belongings on them. I don't know the state of that poster's room but in ours the tables and counters often catch a lot of clutter so I don't expect housekeeping to wipe all that down. I think there's this idea that housekeepers are coming in and doing a total deep clean, and I don't think that's what's happening anymore, even if it did at one time. They just don't have the time to do all this. I'm not excusing it but there's some wild variances in expectations, part of that comes with the very high room cost and of course the front line staff bear the brunt of the abuse normally.

People want their rooms early, they want to not be disturbed at certain hours during the day. People on here are critical because they do not speak english well or question their intelligence. Honestly, I feel bad for the housekeeping staff. You couldn't pay me enough to do that job.

The towel animal thing goes hand in hand with the time issue. They are consistently understaffed, (look at the bonus amounts for referring a new hire) so if the actual cleaning is slipping how do people actually expect towel animals?
I guess we are spoiled to the animal towels, but we haven't had them in so long...we do miss them. I feel bad for them to, this is not their fault, it is the fault of Disney trying to save money and how much more can they scrimp . And I did not read all the comments and was not trying to be on one side or another, just giving my 2 cents and a little frustration at things myself.

I guess we are spoiled to the animal towels, but we haven't had them in so long...we do miss them. I feel bad for them to, this is not their fault, it is the fault of Disney trying to save money and how much more can they scrimp.

The lack of towel animals has zero to do with WDW trying to save money. It's about guests complaints when they didn't get them every day. I posted this about 8 months ago and feel like I need to bring it back out.

My aunt was a housekeeper at WDW for 14 years and recently retired. The towel animals were always meant for guests to take home if they wanted. Therefore, the towels the housekeepers use to make the animals are towels that are going to be taken out of "service" due to fraying, looking ragged etc. That's why they were not always left for guests because there had to be some that were going to be "retired". Not only did there need to be towels available to be made into animals, the housekeeper had to have the time to make them up. They were always meant to be something special, not expected. And as the guests started complaining that they are paying $$$ for the room or tipping $$$ and not getting towels animals every day, WDW decided to stop encouraging the practice. The housekeepers were also getting upset because they were getting bad reviews against them because of no towel animals. Though there still are some housekeepers that enjoy doing it so much that they will still do it. But as a whole, they are not encouraged to any longer like they used to be. So if you do get some, enjoy. But don't expect them.

The lack of towel animals has zero to do with WDW trying to save money. It's about guests complaints when they didn't get them every day. I posted this about 8 months ago and feel like I need to bring it back out.

My aunt was a housekeeper at WDW for 14 years and recently retired. The towel animals were always meant for guests to take home if they wanted. Therefore, the towels the housekeepers use to make the animals are towels that are going to be taken out of "service" due to fraying, looking ragged etc. That's why they were not always left for guests because there had to be some that were going to be "retired". Not only did there need to be towels available to be made into animals, the housekeeper had to have the time to make them up. They were always meant to be something special, not expected. And as the guests started complaining that they are paying $$$ for the room or tipping $$$ and not getting towels animals every day, WDW decided to stop encouraging the practice. The housekeepers were also getting upset because they were getting bad reviews against them because of no towel animals. Though there still are some housekeepers that enjoy doing it so much that they will still do it. But as a whole, they are not encouraged to any longer like they used to be. So if you do get some, enjoy. But don't expect them.

They were meant to be taken home!?!? I never knew that! I only got one once, back in 2007, but it was so cute. I wanted to take it but didn’t realize I could. Shoot!

WOW, didn't know that either. My daughter cried when she was younger, she wanted to take it with her and I told her she couldn't. It was rare we got one, that is why it was so special, we would see them sitting in windows at POR when we walked by and most of the time we did not have one. Its not that we expected it, we thought it was a very special touch. I was just using that as an example of fonder memories of staying there. We still love the resort, and the size over the values was what my DH had to have, especially bed size. We do take some things for granted, we pay a lot, and it is a sacrifice at times to go, we plan and save, so I think you do expect it to continue to be that magical place it was years ago. We can't just write a check or pull out a card and not think about it, we can't stay at a deluxe, or we would not be able to eat, but I would love to again. My daughter and I are doing a different kind of trip this year, a memory trip, just the two of us, and I expect we will see and experience things we haven't in the past. Moving slower and finding more of the magic we knew years ago. Thanks for letting me know about the towels, they were definitely a welcoming touch when we came home from a long day at the parks. We kept them all week and always thanked our housekeepers.

I didn't know we were allowed to take them! We were lucky to have received them a few times.

They were meant to be taken home!?!? I never knew that! I only got one once, back in 2007, but it was so cute. I wanted to take it but didn’t realize I could. Shoot!

I had no idea either....I still feel skeptical that this is even true.

I mean, on the DCL ships they make these towel animals, and you certainly aren't meant to take those home.

I think there's this idea that housekeepers are coming in and doing a total deep clean, and I don't think that's what's happening anymore, even if it did at one time. They just don't have the time to do all this. I'm not excusing it but there's some wild variances in expectations, part of that comes with the very high room cost and of course the front line staff bear the brunt of the abuse normally.

When the problems caused by understaffing extend to the guest, it's a problem. We should not be paying these prices for a subpar cleaning. That is 100% on WDW. At actual 5* resorts the housekeeping staff is unobtrusive. They don't bang on your door, they somehow manage to get everything done while you are out, you don't have to call or hunt them down for items you need, and they respect the signage on your door. I've stayed at resorts where I never saw a single member of housekeeping staff during my entire stay, and yet the rooms were well-cleaned and well-stocked. There is absolutely no reason for Disney to not be able to provide that kind of service at the prices that they charge. And yet that's one of the places where they choose to cut corners.

When the problems caused by understaffing extend to the guest, it's a problem. We should not be paying these prices for a subpar cleaning. That is 100% on WDW. At actual 5* resorts the housekeeping staff is unobtrusive. They don't bang on your door, they somehow manage to get everything done while you are out, you don't have to call or hunt them down for items you need, and they respect the signage on your door. I've stayed at resorts where I never saw a single member of housekeeping staff during my entire stay, and yet the rooms were well-cleaned and well-stocked. There is absolutely no reason for Disney to not be able to provide that kind of service at the prices that they charge. And yet that's one of the places where they choose to cut corners.
We stayed at AoA in 2016. As my son was pulling out the sofa bed, he found a coffee cup, SW light saber, and a couple of T-shirts behind the sofa bed. I may be wrong, but I do not think that WDW left them in our room for a House warming gift. Housekeeping has deteriorated...but it probably has to do with minimal pay raises for most of WDW's basic employees.

We stayed at AoA in 2016. As my son was pulling out the sofa bed, he found a coffee cup, SW light saber, and a couple of T-shirts behind the sofa bed. I may be wrong, but I do not think that WDW left them in our room for a House warming gift. Housekeeping has deteriorated...but it probably has to do with minimal pay raises for most of WDW's basic employees.

Some people would say look at all the free souvenirs you got from getting that room. So much pixie dust! :rotfl:

:sad2::sad2: and ::yes::::yes::!!

I can see why people discourage blaming housekeeping staff directly (though they're not all as conscientious or trustworthy as they should be) -- but we have to be careful not to defend HK as a whole, because that just lets the the Disney execs off the hook.

Last edited:
:sad2::sad2: and ::yes::::yes::!!

I can see why people discourage blaming housekeeping staff directly (though they're not all as conscientious or trustworthy as they should be) -- but we have to be careful not to defend HK as a whole, because that just lets the the Disney execs off the hook.

You can say that of any job, that no everyone is a conscientious or trustworthy as they should be. I think the majority are, they are overworked, underpaid, and too few of them to do the job. Kind of like where I work.

You can say that of any job, that no everyone is a conscientious or trustworthy as they should be. I think the majority are, they are overworked, underpaid, and too few of them to do the job. Kind of like where I work.

Of course. :-):-) I think you may have taken that out of context and misinterpreted my post.

The bit in brackets is, essentially, a disclaimer that not all individual HK experiences are good - but that rather than defending HK on that level, I think, we should be looking to the policymakers. Disney gets away with a lot, because in defending the people on the front-line, guests often end up tolerating more than they should for the $$$ - which, in the end, only works for the execs! It doesn't help the HK staff either.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter