What if one person doesn't live in Canada?

SweetJulia23

Mouseketeer
I'm able to get the Canadian Resident discount on our trip but one member of our party lives in the US. Will they check all adult IDs? Can we still use it if most of the people live in Canada?

yes they will want to see proof for all adults before the tickets can be used, sorry. I'm not sure if you'd be able to book it and then add the extra adult at check in but you could maybe ask? I doubt it though since all the offers state everyone needs to be on the same package

Do you mean the ticket discount or the room discount? I would guess that the room discount only matters for the lead adult. Now, your issue could be that this one US resident is the lead on a room, like if you have multiple rooms. Definitely worth a call.
Also, if you are not doing a package, the Canadian residents can buy the 20% off tickets and then the US resident buys a ticket separately. Just link them in MDE for FP+ etc.

The Canadian portion only has to do with the tickets. If you want to combine both offers (room discount plus Canadian ticket offer) and have an adult in your party who is not Canadian, you will need to get a room discount reservation (you may add dining if you wish) but don't add the tickets to this purchase.

In a separate transaction, purchase tickets for the number of Canadians in your group. The US member will need to purchase their ticket separately, paying full price.

When you go to the first park, you'll need to go to Guest Services and prove Canadian residence for all Canadian adults in your group for their park tickets to be activated.

Is the person in question a Canadian citizen? My sister was living in the US, but because she had Canadian ID (Passport & DL ) she was able to buy the Canadian passes, have the shipped to mum's house (her permanent address for her Canadian mail, while in the US)and mum sent them to her to use? If the person in question has Canadian ID it shouldn't matter.

Is the person in question a Canadian citizen? My sister was living in the US, but because she had Canadian ID (Passport & DL ) she was able to buy the Canadian passes, have the shipped to mum's house (her permanent address for her Canadian mail, while in the US)and mum sent them to her to use? If the person in question has Canadian ID it shouldn't matter.

ITA. Despite Florida having a million Canadian citizens as residents, front line CMs don't seem to understand that Citizen is not a synonym for Resident and vice-versa. In other words, residents of Canada can have licenses that prove residence, but they also accept Canadian passports--which don't prove residency.
This post brought to you by a dual citizen, who gets easily annoyed when people use terms loosely given the time, effort, and thousands of dollars it took to become first a resident and then a citizen. 😛

ITA. Despite Florida having a million Canadian citizens as residents, front line CMs don't seem to understand that Citizen is not a synonym for Resident and vice-versa. In other words, residents of Canada can have licenses that prove residence, but they also accept Canadian passports--which don't prove residency.
This post brought to you by a dual citizen, who gets easily annoyed when people use terms loosely given the time, effort, and thousands of dollars it took to become first a resident and then a citizen. 😛
Yep, she just couldn't get them shipped to the US. so she planned far enough ahead, bought them at a discount and she had them in about 3 weeks.

Well what happened was that I had a package booked at full price and by the time I found out the 2020 discounts came out I couldn't get anything. I'm Canadian but living in the US. I tried looking online while I also waited on hold on the phone. My sister tried looking in Canada and was able to get a great rate that I couldn't see here. She was able to see SO many I couldn't. She updated our reservation not knowing it was specific to Canadians. Just after that I got through on the phone and the when the cast member looked at the reservation she told me everyone had to live in Canada. My sister and I have Canadian ID but my husband doesn't. The cast member switched our reservation back to full price. I just wanted to know if anyone had booked this kind of offer and had them check their ID when they got to the resort. I didn't even think they would need to check at the gates as well.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! In the end we were able to find an upgraded room at another resort with a discount that turned out slightly less than the full price one we had so we'll just go with that. At least we're not paying full price.

Well what happened was that I had a package booked at full price and by the time I found out the 2020 discounts came out I couldn't get anything. I'm Canadian but living in the US. I tried looking online while I also waited on hold on the phone. My sister tried looking in Canada and was able to get a great rate that I couldn't see here. She was able to see SO many I couldn't. She updated our reservation not knowing it was specific to Canadians. Just after that I got through on the phone and the when the cast member looked at the reservation she told me everyone had to live in Canada. My sister and I have Canadian ID but my husband doesn't. The cast member switched our reservation back to full price. I just wanted to know if anyone had booked this kind of offer and had them check their ID when they got to the resort. I didn't even think they would need to check at the gates as well.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! In the end we were able to find an upgraded room at another resort with a discount that turned out slightly less than the full price one we had so we'll just go with that. At least we're not paying full price.
Glad that you were able to find a deal at the end. Whether it’s a deal for Canadians or not, I believe all adults have to show IDs at hotel check-in. But for the Canadian ticket deal, my experience is that ID needs to be shown to exchange the Canadian green vouchers to actual tickets.

Only the lead adult on the reservation has been required to show ID in my experience. Traveled with DH and 3 adult DS and only the lead showed ID upon check-in. They may have changed that since last year but that was the way it was done in 2018

We stayed at POFQ in December 2018 and AKL in August and I was the only one having to show my ID at check in and my last name is different than DH’s (I was the lead on both reservations). DH was not even with me at the front desk and it was never an issue. For the resort reservation, as long as the lead is a Canadian resident, it should be fine. For the Canadian tickets, it’s another story. Every adult must show their ID (ideally a passport or Nexus card). When I went to GS at Disney Springs to activate our tickets I had all our passports and Nexus cards but they asked that DH was also present so I texted him to come back with the kids. Some people are successful sending only one person to activate all the tickets but I wasn’t.

How did you manage to be lead on two reservations. Did you book online or over the phone. Last year I had to have my DS be lead on his room. I wasn't able to put both reservation under my name even though I was paying for both rooms.

Should Kid showed the proof? What kind of proof? She doesn't have a Canadian passport,but she really studied in Canada,and not achived the age of getting a drive license or ID.

Should Kid showed the proof? What kind of proof? She doesn't have a Canadian passport,but she really studied in Canada,and not achived the age of getting a drive license or ID.
How is the child crossing the border? You need at least a birth certificate to cross the border by land as a child. You could show birth certificate and maybe a health card, proving she's a Canadian citizen.

I think they said that only my DH would have to show ID. Not the kids, but even the high schooler (too young to drive).

I think a lot of people are mixing up 2 different things here. The Canadian resident deal is for tickets, not for rooms. For the Canadian resident tickets, everyone, regardless of age, must show proof of Canadian residency (at least that's how it was when we validated our tickets earlier this year). For a room, you do not need to show IDs for the children, but the room discount is not a Canadian resident discount. I think it's the packages that are confusing because it's a "Canadian resident" package but only the ticket part of the package is what is getting the Canadian resident deal.

I think a lot of people are mixing up 2 different things here. The Canadian resident deal is for tickets, not for rooms. For the Canadian resident tickets, everyone, regardless of age, must show proof of Canadian residency (at least that's how it was when we validated our tickets earlier this year). For a room, you do not need to show IDs for the children, but the room discount is not a Canadian resident discount. I think it's the packages that are confusing because it's a "Canadian resident" package but only the ticket part of the package is what is getting the Canadian resident deal.
So you showed proof of residency to obtain tickets for people under 18? If yes, what form(s) did you use?

Any time we've had the Canadian Resident tickets, we have to show ID for everyone who has the tickets. I've heard that if you buy the Canadian Resident tickets with a package through Disney, you don't have to take the tickets to Guest Services and have them validated, but I'm sure you would still have to prove residency when you check in at the hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter