What has happen to Boardwalk?

gojoe

DIS Veteran
Just returned from a quick trip to Boardwalk. I have to admit my last few stays have not been to my satisfaction so I'm just a bit tainted. I won't get into those and my no meas does this detract from my love of the resort (long halls and all).
We live in Tampa and drove to the resort. Arriving at 7:00 am so we could catch an extra magic hour at Animal Kingdom. One other quest was waiting for bell services to bring their luggage as they were leaving. My wife headed to the front desk (we did on-line check in) to see if (long shot) our room was ready. I took out a couple of bags and a cooler of food put them right in font of the exit. A bellmen finished unloading the other car an scooted right by me. I closed the trunk and look around. Another bellmen was standing by the their office. I had to yell over (I know I should have walk over an not yelled) and ask him please get me someone to take my bags.

I parked my car and headed over to meet my wife at the bus stop. The place was packed. I figured all were heading to Animal Kingdom and it looked like a full bus load. We took a look at the ETA for AK 7:49. We though oh well we must have just missed the bus. About 7:20 a buss pulled up for Magic Kingdom (ADR's I figured) and a few people got on the MK buss. 7:30 a buss shows up with out any park designation. A cast member with an I-pad got off. She said good morning and ask how many people were going to AK. All of us yelled out. At that point the family at the front approached this cast member. I heard her say they had been waiting since 6:45. We didn't just miss a buss. Before the buss pulled away I asked why can't you use that buss to take us to AK. She would even look up and I'm sure she heard me because others repeated my request. We didn't get to AK this well after 8:00 and Avatar now had a 2 hour wait.

We later met up with family and had the best day. This was there first time at AK and we show them how wonderful this park can be. Being Senior Wilderness Explorers we know most (but not all) of this park. At 3:30 after not receiving a text with my room number I made a call to find out what was up. The cast member apologized for us not receiving a text. I know this can be a technical glitch but for some reason this happens almost every time we stay there.

I forgot to mention, when met my wife at the bus stop she said the front desk did nothing wrong. But she was not very welcoming. We know everybody has a bad day but this is not the first time we have felt this way and never have felt that way at other DVC resorts.

I'm sure most of people stopped reading along time ago. I am not trying to get into a fight with anybody. I'm just saying what happen to us.

By the way every cast member (besides the front desk) was fantastic (happy, funny, helpful and complete professionals)

So where exactly is the problem with the Boardwalk (besides the front desk)? This sounds like more of an issue with Transportation Services and there not being a bus to AK.

We did a split stay this year, and I wanted to try the Boardwalk. The location was great, and I like the atmosphere, but when we got to our room, I went to sit on the bed and it was horrible. You sank in and heard nothing but springs crunch in the mattress (for the record, I'm 175 lbs). It was one of the converted hotel rooms and it felt like it. The huge flat screen was nice, but that's about all the positives. Things were very noisy, from people in the hallway to the courtyard outside. The over abundance of seafoam green was detracting as well. In any event, I'm sure there's better rooms, or maybe not, who knows.

We didn't have any issues with the buses at Boardwalk though.

The people who unload your car work for the same company that valets your car, they are not Disney employees. Bell Services inside the resort and the ones that deliver to your room are Disney employees.

:earsboy: Bill

So where exactly is the problem with the Boardwalk (besides the front desk)? This sounds like more of an issue with Transportation Services and there not being a bus to AK.

We did a split stay this year, and I wanted to try the Boardwalk. The location was great, and I like the atmosphere, but when we got to our room, I went to sit on the bed and it was horrible. You sank in and heard nothing but springs crunch in the mattress (for the record, I'm 175 lbs). It was one of the converted hotel rooms and it felt like it. The huge flat screen was nice, but that's about all the positives. Things were very noisy, from people in the hallway to the courtyard outside. The over abundance of seafoam green was detracting as well. In any event, I'm sure there's better rooms, or maybe not, who knows.

We didn't have any issues with the buses at Boardwalk though.

There are no "converted hotel rooms" at Boardwalk. The Boardwalk Inn and Boardwalk Villas were built at the same time and new. No "converted hotel rooms" I believe it was recently refurbished and redocorated, in the last 3 years? So it probably won't be again for about 10 years, as that comes from member's dues, and done less frequently than hotel rooms. Sounds like you need to try another resort next time. Really, the TV was the only positive thing?

3:30 is still prior to posted check in so maybe your bad feeling was just a day of excess expectations. Our last stay was at BLT and we never did receive a text or e-mail, at about 6pm we went to the desk and they apologized and immediately got us our room information. We all like different resorts for different reasons, I will agree the bus service in the morning at BWV can test your patients. We have been there waiting long times when they dispatch a cast member to try and coordinate some bus transportation. It has been a college program girl who has to deal with several people who had plans for early arrivals, she really did a good job, sweet and friendly, it sure wasn't her fault. She did offer all the people who were patient a use anywhere fast pass slip as they passed her boarding the bus, those who had been angry and pushed there way to the front as the bus arrived may have missed out, she was still digging them out when they pushed past her.

Just stayed at BWV and we do about once a year. I do live locally too and drive. I must admit, I almost never get a text from BWV about my room and always do on line check in. I've had this happen hit or miss at most of the DVC resorts.
And I agree that the beds/mattress at BWV are horrible. I have a bad back and they always make my back hurt as there is ZERO support in them.

Sorry that the front desk was less than.

The few times we've had bad bus luck (which is often us not getting out with time for a wait for a bus and still get where we are going on time), we grab a cab. Its worth it if you need to be at a park at opening in order to avoid a two hour line. I love Disney transportation - warts and all - but it isn't always a bus exactly when you want it - and sometimes there are glitches. (I will say that a wait for a bus is better than getting stuck on the monorail - at least if you are waiting for the bus you have the option for the cab).

Maybe the people who take my luggage do work for someone else but this if the first impression people have. I believe the management should be aware not just with complaints but by being hands on. Past years we have been greeted by cast members. We have been staying at other resorts (AK, Poly, BLT) and have always been created by friendly cast members (working directly for Disney or not). The same goes for the bus stop. If many guests are waiting for over an hour for a bus someone should be contacting transportation to get this resolved. Boardwalk is know for transportation issue, just ask. As far as my call at 3:30, I am aware of check in times. My room was ready when I called and she gave me the room number. I never received a text. We have had this issue on other occasions and again it might not be Boardwalk fault but for some reason it has never happened anywhere else for us and we have been doing on-ling check in since it started. Once at Saratoga we received a text at 8:00 am as we arrived.
These were not issues that happen to us years back. Believe me when I say I have not had any complaints with any other Disney resort. I don't think I'm being overly critical of the management. Please remember I love the Boardwalk and try to stay there when we can.

Sorry your experience was less than stellar. Unfortunately things happen sometimes. It seems like a coincidence that you had multiple issues happen one right after the other which to you make it seem worse than it does to us when reading your post. It doesn’t seem like an overall issue with boardwalk but rather with transportation and bell services. I would chalk it up to a random series of unfortunate events. I’m glad the rest of your trip was great and you won’t let this deter you from your love of boardwalk!

This is one of the reasons we still like renting a car when we stay on-resort. You get free parking at all the parks and it's so much easier when you want to be at the robe drop in the morning to just drive there yourself. Takes a lot of time and stress out of the situation. And because we're on resort if any subset of our group wants to break off or leave early or join late they can still use the buses but the core group of us die-hards committed to getting on the key attractions first thing can precisely plan our timing with the car.

This is one of the reasons we still like renting a car when we stay on-resort. You get free parking at all the parks and it's so much easier when you want to be at the robe drop in the morning to just drive there yourself. Takes a lot of time and stress out of the situation. And because we're on resort if any subset of our group wants to break off or leave early or join late they can still use the buses but the core group of us die-hards committed to getting on the key attractions first thing can precisely plan our timing with the car.
Love Robe Drop time of day, favorite time.
All aside, AK is probably the one park we do drive to in the early am. The lot is not far, and not much more than the bus drop. If early you are right at the front and we never use the tram, walking is faster. Tried with our kids and beat them.

I parked my car and headed over to meet my wife at the bus stop.

You had a car but you took the bus to AKL? Not my choice, that's for sure!

I took out a couple of bags and a cooler of food put them right in font of the exit. A bellmen finished unloading the other car an scooted right by me. I closed the trunk and look around. Another bellmen was standing by the their office. I had to yell over (I know I should have walk over an not yelled) and ask him please get me someone to take my bags.

How could he have known you wanted assistance? You unloaded the trunk and put the stuff near the entrance. That is what we do when we do NOT want assistance. Especially since BW has two to three separate people who touch our bags (car unloader, put on cart-er, and delivery to room person).

If you want help just ask.

Last edited:
Maybe the people who take my luggage do work for someone else but this if the first impression people have. I believe the management should be aware not just with complaints but by being hands on. Past years we have been greeted by cast members. We have been staying at other resorts (AK, Poly, BLT) and have always been created by friendly cast members (working directly for Disney or not). The same goes for the bus stop. If many guests are waiting for over an hour for a bus someone should be contacting transportation to get this resolved. Boardwalk is know for transportation issue, just ask. As far as my call at 3:30, I am aware of check in times. My room was ready when I called and she gave me the room number. I never received a text. We have had this issue on other occasions and again it might not be Boardwalk fault but for some reason it has never happened anywhere else for us and we have been doing on-ling check in since it started. Once at Saratoga we received a text at 8:00 am as we arrived.
These were not issues that happen to us years back. Believe me when I say I have not had any complaints with any other Disney resort. I don't think I'm being overly critical of the management. Please remember I love the Boardwalk and try to stay there when we can.
CM greeters have been cut at all of the deluxe resorts. I was not greeted at the GF last December, either. I miss that little special touch but it is missing at all of the resorts now.

Transportation issues exist at all of the resorts. We just got back from a week at BWV. We only took the bus once and that was to AK in the evening. We waited less than 5 minutes. It was just luck in our timing. We were the only people to board the bus with another 4 people being picked up at the Dolphin. The rest of the time, we took the car, a boat or just walked. We actually walked thru Epcot and took the monorail & boat rather than take a bus to MK. Past experience told me that using a bus to MK would take forever.

I did get a text that my room was ready. That was around 3:20 PM and I was very surprised because we were staying in a GV and I had expected that it would not have been ready until long after the 4 PM official check in. For future reference, you can check the MDE app for your room assignment if you have not gotten the room ready text.

Overall, my experience with BWV was very different from yours. However, I went into it with lower expectations. I knew that the room ready texts for all resorts were hit or miss. I expected to have three different CMs handle our bags between the curb and the room. I had no illusions that the buses would run without delays, so I had my Lyft app ready and we were prepared to drive if we wanted to get anywhere quickly.

3:30 is still prior to posted check in so maybe your bad feeling was just a day of excess expectations. Our last stay was at BLT and we never did receive a text or e-mail, at about 6pm we went to the desk and they apologized and immediately got us our room information. We all like different resorts for different reasons, I will agree the bus service in the morning at BWV can test your patients. We have been there waiting long times when they dispatch a cast member to try and coordinate some bus transportation. It has been a college program girl who has to deal with several people who had plans for early arrivals, she really did a good job, sweet and friendly, it sure wasn't her fault. She did offer all the people who were patient a use anywhere fast pass slip as they passed her boarding the bus, those who had been angry and pushed there way to the front as the bus arrived may have missed out, she was still digging them out when they pushed past her.
BWV buses can be challanging in the AM 17 yrs and it is the worst. Last time is was much better as it seems the gave it its own bus. In the past they shared with BC YC and was always full before it got to our stop, if you looked to the left you would see it ride by and you would wait until finally the person with the ipad ordered a new one which would come from the other direction. Seems like they are back to their old ways. 17 yrs and a its a pain. Have missed EMH rope drop more than once because of it. As for text messages. We go to the front desk anyway and often the text comes as we are at the desk and the CM is looking for our info . coincidence?

We mostly stay at BWV, and we've had our fair share of issues (mostly cleanliness or missing/broken items). I haven't kept track of "room ready" texts, but I do know we don't always get one.

As for the valet issue, when we pull up and start unloading items from the car, we are usually approached by a CM, unless they are very busy. I would NOT be happy if CM's were standing around doing nothing and I had to flag them down (like we almost always have to do at the Dolphin when we pull up to drop off our rental car!).

To the MK, we take the bus. But to AK, we always drive - it's a close, easy walk from the parking lot to the entrance (we skip the tram).

We mostly stay at BWV, and we've had our fair share of issues (mostly cleanliness or missing/broken items). I haven't kept track of "room ready" texts, but I do know we don't always get one.

As for the valet issue, when we pull up and start unloading items from the car, we are usually approached by a CM, unless they are very busy. I would NOT be happy if CM's were standing around doing nothing and I had to flag them down (like we almost always have to do at the Dolphin when we pull up to drop off our rental car!).

To the MK, we take the bus. But to AK, we always drive - it's a close, easy walk from the parking lot to the entrance (we skip the tram).

The car unloaders at BWI/BWV are not cast members, they are an outside contractor. Sometimes you get good service, sometimes you don't.

:earsboy: Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter