What happens to benefits when child turns 18?

Zimwicket

Mouseketeer
My wife and I are "25 point" direct members and have 2 other resale contracts. We are able to bring our daughter to things like the epcot lounge and moonlight parties now, but will that continue once she is 18? I accept that she can't go off on her own and expect to get membership benefits, but with us is it allowed? What about future family she may have? We don't want to get her added to the deed since that could risk future spouse taking it in any sort of divorce. I'm just curious how this all works.

You can bring her as a guest when you are there. As long as she lives at home she is eligible for Gold pass.

There are limits on number of guests for MM or lounge access and it depends on a number of factors. If everyone is in a unit together you can bring everyone to MM under the 2019 rules for the events; subject to change if/when the events return.

I think Epcot Lounge you can bring 4 guests but don't quote me there.

As long as she lives in your home, she can qualify for the AP benefit...doesn’t matter the age,

For the other perks, like visiting the lounge, she can go as long as she is with you, just as any other guests you want to bring.

She will have to show drivers license with your same address to get the DVC AP (you can buy it and add it to MDE but she will need to go to CS window and show ID to have it activated). You will need the blue card to get into the lounge at Epcot and to get various discounts at WDW. She can't use card with your name (or husband's name) to have access to those things. She can be with you and have access.

There are always the legal ownership concerns of her being an owner (divorce or bankruptcy), but after she is 18 you could add her to only the 25 pt contract for as little as $20 if you do it yourself (https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...tuitous-transfer.3701707/page-8#post-62083560). Once added, she has a blue card on her own and all members of her household even if at a different address than yours can get AP and go with her to the lounge and MM. And she gets the discounts. The risks are her future is unknown and the 25 pt contract could get caught up in her future. Additionally, that contract will now get managed separately. It has different owners so even if all your current contracts have the same UY, that 25 pointer will now be separate. You would need to transfer points or use it for short stays.

We added both of my adult daughters to our 25 pt contract. It is at SSR, so likely in the worst case situations, their ownership interest is $625 each, that we may need to "buy them out of ownership". They have taken great advantage of the blue card and enjoy being "owners".

Adding another person to only one contract will result in a new membership. That will make using the 25 point contract with the other two contracts more difficult. Before proceeding with this idea, my advice is to investigate it thoroughly to be sure you understand the ins and outs of booking & managing two memberships.

Adding another person to only one contract will result in a new membership. That will make using the 25 point contract with the other two contracts more difficult. Before proceeding with this idea, my advice is to investigate it thoroughly to be sure you understand the ins and outs of booking & managing two memberships.

I want to make sure I understand correctly...

Example:
Contract 1: CCV 100 points / Oct UY
Contract 2: AKL 50 points / Oct UY
Contract 3: RIV 25 points / Oct UY

Wife and Husband on all 3 contracts, same membership number and contracts show up as ***.1, ***.2, ***.3

If adding a son/daughter to Contract 3, that will cause a reset of a membership number for all 3 people and cause the membership ID number to change. Husband and Wife will now have 2 different memberships, and I assume the contract 3 number would also change from ***.3 to ***x.1 as well. Is that correct?

Example:

Wife and Husband on all 3 contracts, same membership number and contracts show up as ***.1, ***.2, ***.3

If adding a son/daughter to Contract 3, that will cause a reset of a membership number for all 3 people and cause the membership ID number to change. Husband and Wife will now have 2 different memberships, and I assume the contract 3 number would also change from ***.3 to ***x.1 as well. Is that correct?

Correct, In order to be considered part of the same membership, owners have to be the same,

In addition..not that it really matters...but the membership that contains the two contracts would no longer have the blue card,

Only the 25 point RIV membership one would since those were the points you bought to qualify.

Example:

As Sandisw said, this is correct, but a 25 point Riv contract would not have grandfathered you into member benefits. So this must be just a theoretical example. Riv was not being sold when it took only a 25 pt contract to qualify. It was at least 75 if not 100 by the time Riv was for sale. 25 Riv alone can't be what qualifies someone for a Blue card.

Last edited:
Ok, this thread is intriguing me now. I have a daughter turning 18 soon. I have two contracts, both resale, 250 and 120 points, and both are grandfathered (I purchased about 15 years ago). My wife and I are owners/members of both contracts.

I used to be a NUT when it came to keeping up with everything DVC, but the last few years I have not really kept up with the changes (it could be a full time job!) So I have questions related to this thread:

1. Can I add my 18 yo as an owner on one or both of the contracts.

2. Is there a cost to doing the above?

3. Will I lose my grandfathered benefits by doing the above?

4. How many owners/members are allowed on a single contract? I will have other children reaching 18 in the coming years.

5. Does doing #1 above make her a Member?

Thanks!

So I have questions related to this thread:

4. How many owners/members are allowed on a single contract? I will have other children reaching 18 in the coming years.

Maybe time to talk to your estate attorney. There are many ways to do this that aren't owning joint real estate with a bunch of adults in Florida, which I would never do, for many reasons.

I would do a corporation, but my state has few hoops and my estate is already dealing with corporations, so what difference does another one make. Many people use trusts or family trusts on these boards to do this. I'd talk to your attorney, because this will vary based on your estate and your local laws and just how much work you want to put into this.

Ok, this thread is intriguing me now. I have a daughter turning 18 soon. I have two contracts, both resale, 250 and 120 points, and both are grandfathered (I purchased about 15 years ago). My wife and I are owners/members of both contracts.

I used to be a NUT when it came to keeping up with everything DVC, but the last few years I have not really kept up with the changes (it could be a full time job!) So I have questions related to this thread:

5. Does doing #1 above make her a Member?

Thanks!
The simple answer is yes, you can add her as an owner, and that would make her a Member with her own Blue Card. You can do it yourself as a gratuitous transfer or have an agency such as LT Transfers do it for you. You won’t lose your grandfathered status, but if you add her to only one contract then it would become a separate membership and become somewhat more complicated to handle (as if you were two different people). It would be an asset for her, potentially important when applying for college financial aid or in case of divorce later in life. Here’s a thread that might be helpful: https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...xisting-contract-gratuitous-transfer.3701707/.

ETA if you do a search for “adding adult children” on this board you’ll pull up a number of threads containing lots of food for thought on this topic.

Last edited:
Thanks - I tend to forget that this is a bona-fide real estate interest and transaction that results in some legal ripple effects.

For a moment, all I thought about was the bliss of DISNEY PERKS for being a Member - thanks for bringing me down to earth with crashing realities...sigh, the craziness we live in.

Thanks - I tend to forget that this is a bona-fide real estate interest and transaction that results in some legal ripple effects.

For a moment, all I thought about was the bliss of DISNEY PERKS for being a Member - thanks for bringing me down to earth with crashing realities...sigh, the craziness we live in.

yes, it’s good to think about reality of the complications of being an owner. Some people don’t. For example, my husband and I have 5 adult kids between us. We only have ONE as a member on our 7 contracts. Not all adult kids make good decisions and are financially responsible. Adult kids change over the years and their priorities might not always align with their parents. It’s too Much of a risk to add anyone other than just my one daughter. However, another daughter bought her own resale membership years ago and is already bored with it and has mentioned her desire to sell. She would make a nice profit since she bought for $55 a point SSR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!