What happened to the beach???

I am so sad to see how the beach has eroded. Our last trip was in 2009. Wasn't real big of a beach then but stillmmuch more than these pictures show. I hope they do some restoration.

Yes you should make your concerns known...

email:

membersatisfaction.life.theuniverse.andeverything@supremebeingofyourchoice.com

;)

I got an email reply this morning:

Thank you for contacting member satisfaction.

Your comments are important to us and we appreciate your taking the time
to write. We will review the feedback you have provided and will
respond within 5 business days. Please note: Based on the nature of
your comments or questions, we may need to forward your message to other
Supreme Being affiliates or nonaffiliated third party service
providers.

Thank you again for your message.

Sincerely,

Member Satisfaction Team
The Universe

:surfweb:

They just finished a beach restoration that cost over $10 million. :sad2:

I'm not even sure it was completed before the recent storms. I think that we have to just have to let mother nature do whatever she is going to do. :confused3

We did a day trip from blt in aug 2010 to see if it would be good for us. Loved it, but the beach was so steep it was not good for dd then 5. Also the water was so rough it didn't feel safe (and it was nice out). I had thought maybe it was the time of year but it sounds like the very steep beach is how it is . Seemed like a shame for such a great family resort no to have a beach good for the kids. It would be great if they could fix it.

Here are 2 pictures the last week of October of this year.

Kevin_VeroBeach2.jpg

VeroBeach.jpg

The Cliff was a good 10 feet high. On our last day there the County brought in heavy equipment and sloped it a bit near the stairs, so that you could climb down more safely. I worry about how the dunes have eroded between last year and this year. There is a signficant difference.
We did not have a lot of seaweed when we were there, but it was very windy and the water was rough.

Those photographs capture the scene well. Thank you for posting them.

Previously, the steps went down to the beach and were not covered in sand. There was an area of soft sand leading to an area of packed (from the ocean's ebb and flow) sand and then the ocean itself.

For anyone to say that the scenes above are the "normal" scenes and the same as in 2007 they are sorely mistaken. No plans to rebuild the dunes could be quite problematic if the beach continues to erode. There is not much land between those steep banks and the upper walkway. One option could be to build concrete retaining walls as they have in other east coast Florida areas, however that removes any possibility of enjoying the beach at all.

We've gone yearly, with the exception of last year, for years. Never have we seen the beach in the condition that it is in currently (as depicted above).

It does feel a little strange when we are in the beach. If there's a big surge of water there is nowhere to go unless you can climb fast. We go to the beach up the road occasionally and it's pretty nice.

I'm just suck of paying for the beach restorations and then watching it all wash away in one storm. I'm curious if I'm getting hit twice with our county taxes and the taxes we pay as part of our dues.

If it all falls into the ocean, do we get our money back? lol

For anyone to say that the scenes above are the "normal" scenes and the same as in 2007 they are sorely mistaken. No plans to rebuild the dunes could be quite problematic if the beach continues to erode.

I'm only skimming, but the only possible reference to normal I saw here was the idea that this is normal for a beach.

And even before the last article was linked to, there was a previous article linked that mentioned that the erosion wasn't as bad as feared, that sand is already naturally coming back (and they have a picture very similar to the dramatic ones shown here), AND that winter re-sanding plans will continue.

You've been there recently I take it? And, often enough to compare recently with previous experiences?

I'm only skimming, but the only possible reference to normal I saw here was the idea that this is normal for a beach.

And even before the last article was linked to, there was a previous article linked that mentioned that the erosion wasn't as bad as feared, that sand is already naturally coming back (and they have a picture very similar to the dramatic ones shown here), AND that winter re-sanding plans will continue.

The Winter re sanding will all take place south of Disney's Vero Beach. This area will not be touched.
I do agree that the sand is coming back.
But the dune erosion is dramatic and worrisome

The Winter re sanding will all take place south of Disney's Vero Beach. This area will not be touched.

But past history indicates that when they add sand in the other place, some of it will end up at Disney's beach. Makes more sense financially to only haul the sand to one beach (and that one an easy beach to get to) if there's good reason to think that'll help a lot of other beaches as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!