What happened to the beach???

DVC~OKW~96

<font color=green>I'm not big on gold as a color.
:confused3

We arrived Friday at Vero Beach with the sole intention of walking endlessly on the beach.

What happened to it? Where'd it go? Who took it?

The stairs are covered in sand with a short, but steep drop off to the "beach" (soft sand) bordered by a thick line of dying seaweed, then the ocean...

What a difference a year makes. We didn't do Vero last year... won't be doing it again any time soon, either.

The whole point of the holiday was the beach!

We checked out yesterday, we were there since last Saturday. The seaweed was better by the end of the week, but was just terrible the first few days. It was thick and covered the beach and you couldn't walk in the water without it entangling you. The manager said he was waiting to hear back from the county about cleaning it up. The ocean was rough and red flag most days, but on the plus side it meant there were seashells everywhere, my DD even found a shark's tooth.

We love the ocean. It's roughness isn't a factor. Not being able to enjoy walking on the beach is. I don't honestly even mind the seaweed...again, it's the inability to walk along the beach. What's with the steep (as in straight up/down) banks?

The top of the banks (they are not dunes) have clearly been planted in rows trying to set down roots to contain the sand, but I don't see how that will help much.

Don't know where you could find shells? There is (all together now) NO BEACH!

Honestly can't say when we'll return to what once was our very favorite east coast resort/beach. :(

We love the ocean. It's roughness isn't a factor. Not being able to enjoy walking on the beach is. I don't honestly even mind the seaweed...again, it's the inability to walk along the beach. What's with the steep (as in straight up/down) banks?

The top of the banks (they are not dunes) have clearly been planted in rows trying to set down roots to contain the sand, but I don't see how that will help much.

Don't know where you could find shells? There is (all together now) NO BEACH!

Honestly can't say when we'll return to what once was our very favorite east coast resort/beach. :(

DD and I were on the beach yesterday (or as you mention the "NO" beach LOL! :goodvibes and could barely find any shells, but this morning I had a lot more luck when I went for a "semi" run up the beach (between the seaweed and the water) to the north and found lots of shells up there.

But, I also thought the beach was strange here as well with the high banks. If you do head up towards the north there are big sea walls that are built in front of the homes there. Don't know whether or not they've experienced extreme beach erosion here but it is a very small beach and with the seaweed, ick, (soon they'll need elevators to get to it)... we didn't spend much time on the beach while we've been here.

The beach used to be a good wide expanse. The lounge chairs and umbrellas were not crowded on a little bank rise as they are now. You had beach... you know, the sort you find in Melbourne, or Daytona, or New Smyrna, or South Beach or... you get the idea.

An expanse of soft sand, and then an expanse of "packed sand" then the water's edge...

We took some time to look over the immediate dock area and were amazed (and concerned) at the changes. A concrete sea wall looks to be needed in the very near future.

Wonder what it will do to the turtle nesting sites? :guilty:

I think this is just a cycle. Sometimes the nickname is zero beach for that reason. Don't know if the beach comes back naturally or if they do some sort of reclamation but the beach does eventually return.

Here are some pictures from August 20 2011 to compare to what you experienced.

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

Janis

Well they are going to need boatloads of sand and serious reconstruction this time. The stairs from the dock are covered in sand and the entry to the beach proper is a steep (albeit small) slope on one side and a downright bank of sand to navigate on the other.

I'd be pretty unhappy if this were my home resort.

That looks about the same from when we were there about a year ago. Steep drop off to the beach. Also a year ago the man-o-war were so bad you had to be careful where you walked or went in the ocean.

That's how it looked for us last week. We only saw one man of war, it had washed up on the beach.

It's amazing the difference in little over 2 months.

Is this reconstruction that occurs every year??

Janis

If I remember correctly, restoration took place in 2009. We were there in March 2009 and the beach was closed for the first part of our visit with tracks dumping sand in front of Disney and Wabasso. Vero is one of my home resorts and the beach has had it's ups and downs. I love the resort and the ocean at Vero, but the beach has always left a lot to be desired.

Mother Nature

OK does anyone has the contact info for this Mother Nature person? Does she works for DVC? :confused3
I want to complain to her supervisor about this problem also. I mean, we pay good money to vacation here!! :mad: We don't expect to see the beach at Beach Club Villas has this kind of problem. We should expect the same quality at Vero Beach too! :mad::mad::mad::rolleyes1

OK does anyone has the contact info for this Mother Nature person? Does she works for DVC? :confused3
I want to complain to her supervisor about this problem also. I mean, we pay good money to vacation here!! :mad: We don't expect to see the beach at Beach Club Villas has this kind of problem. We should expect the same quality at Vero Beach too! :mad::mad::mad::rolleyes1

Yes you should make your concerns known...

email:

membersatisfaction.life.theuniverse.andeverything@supremebeingofyourchoice.com

;)

Yes you should make your concerns known...

email:

membersatisfaction.life.theuniverse.andeverything@supremebeingofyourchoice.com

;)

:rotfl2:, We've been going to VB since 2007 and the slope has always been there. I was there this spring break and it didn't seem as bad as previous years.

Found plenty of shells, including some big ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter