What grinds your gears?

What is the difference between those and a coloring book? The result is the same, keeping the child quiet. How does it impact you?
The parent who allows their children to be babysat by these things is the type that allows their children to be free range in public. It just seems that way.

The parent who allows their children to be babysat by these things is the type that allows their children to be free range in public. It just seems that way.
So what if the kid is sitting quietly at the restaurant using ear buds, of course, watching or playing on an iPad? Will that work?

People that schedule a time and place to pick up something you are selling on Facebook marketplace, then show up 30 minutes late.

So what if the kid is sitting quietly at the restaurant using ear buds, of course, watching or playing on an iPad? Will that work?
I prefer children neither seen nor heard.

Oh, and LOL, the US doesn't have any ladies or gentlemen. That's a laughable affectation.

I like in Canada (well Vancouver anyway) that you pay a quarter to get the trolley, when you return the trolley it refunds your quarter. So if thatbisnt enough to encourage people to do it then there is always some kids around willing to collect them and get a few $

Never mind the kids. I'm almost 60 and I supplement my income by returning carts left by those willing to forego their quarter deposits. I make about $7 or $8 per year. A handful of times carts with quarters in the slots were left adjacent to or even WITHIN the corral. I suppose those people couldn't spare the extra 10 seconds it would take to attach the cart to the others.

Never mind the kids. I'm almost 60 and I supplement my income by returning carts left by those willing to forego their quarter deposits. I make about $7 or $8 per year. A handful of times carts with quarters in the slots were left adjacent to or even WITHIN the corral. I suppose those people couldn't spare the extra 10 seconds it would take to attach the cart to the others.

Around here, people leave carts in the corral with the quarter in them quite frequently. I've always seen it as a little act of kindness towards those who may have forgotten a quarter. Other people have helped me out when I've forgotten a quarter, so I try to return the kindness. I usually just try to offer my cart at Aldi to someone about to walk in so they don't have to worry about digging for a quarter. Our Meijer stores all have a mechanical horse that kids can ride for a penny. There's usually a small pile of pennies left by parents so other kids can ride even if they don't have a penny.

Well the way it works with ours is when you're purchasing seats you can't leave an open seat in between you and other people in your party. But that's it.

There absolutely can be a single seat in between people with reserved seating it's just it's two different parties doing that.

I'm going to guess that the PP was talking about going into a movie theater and seeing an empty seat in between people and inferring that the system doesn't prevent that. The system prevents that but only when you're purchasing seats in the same transaction.

Example:
This is for a Fork & Screen (Dine-In) showing tonight for Captain Marvel at the AMC location I go to all the time:
View attachment 389266

With reserved seating that seat labled 114,110 and 75 may be left open OR people may end up purchasing those seats.

If we take just seats 114 and 110- Back in the day without reserved seating there would be times I would experience sitting down in the seat I wanted and then someone with 2 people in their party would see the row had 2 empty seats just not next to each other. There would be times where that party of 2 would ask people to move down so they could sit together. I see it as a positive that I no longer have to worry about that.

At first in our theaters I noticed people would just sit wherever they wanted not paying attention to the fact that they had an assigned seat so it would cause problems where people would enter the theater only to find someone sitting in their seats. It only took 1 person to create a big domino effect lol. But as time has gone on it's happened less and less.

Yep, this. Theaters end up with empty seats all over the place now, and they don’t have ushers come in and ask people to scoot over.

To answer others questions about “seeing a movie on a whim,” see exhibit A. You have dinner and check what’s playing. There are no seats left together to buy, but there are several empty seats. Has happened on more than one occasion, and if you google, “cons of assigned seating for movies,” you’ll find it on the list.

Generally have no problem with assigned seating, in theory. They just need to force seat selections so they don’t have widows all over the place.

I’m a family of 5, this problem may not affect you on date night if it’s just 2 people.

I prefer children neither seen nor heard.

Oh, and LOL, the US doesn't have any ladies or gentlemen. That's a laughable affectation.
I’m hoping you’re just being provocative for fun. Disruptive ok but seen or heard that’s a you problem.

I don’t know why you quoted me on the bolded. I didn’t say anything about that.

So this is how you fund your Disney habbitt?

Electronics should be a treat, not a crutch to people lacking parenting skills.
Also this post is about pet peeves. None of these impact us truly. But thanks lol.

I agree they should be a treat but sometimes that’s why thy have them in a restaurant, because they are a treat and they keep the kids entertained. Not because anyone lacks parenting skills. That is a perception us “older” folks tend to get because, I guess, it’s different than what we did.

And like the pp said, is it really so different than the colors and paper most mom’s carried in their purse for years?

There was a post that was shared on fb, written by a young mom addressing all the bad looks she got from allowing her child to have a tablet in a restaurant. She talks about how it’s her time too and she wants to relax and have a little conversation with her husband. How 23 hours a day her attention is on her kids but that one hour she just wants to drink her tea. Really made me think about whether it was really hurting anything.

I remember when my kids were very young and the restaurant very slow or busy. We would purposely go to certain places because they had fish tanks or something to walk the youngest ones around to see. Until food came dh and I were rarely at the table together as one of the other was looking at the fish. Now we could have “made” the child sit quietly but then we were just stressed from that.

If a child isn’t on the tablet all the time, I think it’s a pretty good thing.

I agree they should be a treat but sometimes that’s why thy have them in a restaurant, because they are a treat and they keep the kids entertained. Not because anyone lacks parenting skills. That is a perception us “older” folks tend to get because, I guess, it’s different than what we did.

And like the pp said, is it really so different than the colors and paper most mom’s carried in their purse for years?

There was a post that was shared on fb, written by a young mom addressing all the bad looks she got from allowing her child to have a tablet in a restaurant. She talks about how it’s her time too and she wants to relax and have a little conversation with her husband. How 23 hours a day her attention is on her kids but that one hour she just wants to drink her tea. Really made me think about whether it was really hurting anything.

I remember when my kids were very young and the restaurant very slow or busy. We would purposely go to certain places because they had fish tanks or something to walk the youngest ones around to see. Until food came dh and I were rarely at the table together as one of the other was looking at the fish. Now we could have “made” the child sit quietly but then we were just stressed from that.

If a child isn’t on the tablet all the time, I think it’s a pretty good thing.

Well actually I'm only in my early 20's so I don't know how "old" I am considered lol! When I was younger at a restaurant my entertainment was the children's menu with the little games. Or I drew in a notebook. For me that was enough to be entertained, it was enough for my brother, my cousins, my friends back in the day. Why now doesn't the little kid menu games cut it? Personally, I feel like children watch too much tv and spend too much time on electronics. They are used to being constantly stimulated by bright color video games with sound effects and crazy effects so simple fun simply bores them. Kids these days never experience being bored. They never have to come up with their own games.

I wasn't talking about restaurants really when I made the post. I work with children and families and it sort of makes me sigh when it seems like mom is bargaining with her toddler so she can have her own cellphone back lol! "Please can mommy have her phone back she needs to make a call" like what?? Or parents who use the phone or ipad to automatically soothe their fussy child.

Well actually I'm only in my early 20's so I don't know how "old" I am considered lol! When I was younger at a restaurant my entertainment was the children's menu with the little games. Or I drew in a notebook. For me that was enough to be entertained, it was enough for my brother, my cousins, my friends back in the day. Why now doesn't the little kid menu games cut it? Personally, I feel like children watch too much tv and spend too much time on electronics. They are used to being constantly stimulated by bright color video games with sound effects and crazy effects so simple fun simply bores them. Kids these days never experience being bored. They never have to come up with their own games.

I wasn't talking about restaurants really when I made the post. I work with children and families and it sort of makes me sigh when it seems like mom is bargaining with her toddler so she can have her own cellphone back lol! "Please can mommy have her phone back she needs to make a call" like what?? Or parents who use the phone or ipad to automatically soothe their fussy child.

Oh, yeah, I see what you mean. Yeah that would "grind my gears" too! LOL

And you are right, some kids have way too much screen time. I know when my grandkids are at my house they know their only "screen time" is us watching a movie together. I don't limit it to have the rules, we just have too much other things we are doing. But, I do remember being that young mom that had to get the dishes washed, or the paperwork done at the bank or tell the guy what was wrong with my car and wait for it to be fixed. Thinking back now, there would have been times that a tablet would have been a Godsend! LOL

Electronics should be a treat, not a crutch to people lacking parenting skills.
Also this post is about pet peeves. None of these impact us truly. But thanks lol.
Ok fine. I’ll play. My pet peeve is ppl who don’t mind their business on things that don’t affect them at all & use the observations of their inappropriate nosiness to make them feel like they are superior ppl and parents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter