What else can you make with a Chuck Roast?

Mishetta

<font color=FF6600>All I get to play is "crashing
The only way I have ever used a chuck roast is to make a pot roast either on the stove or in the crock pot. What other ways can I use chuck roast? It's the only meat I have defrosted right now (bought it at Sam's Club yesterday & am just getting around to putting each 3 lb piece in it's own plastic bag ready to freeze).

I'd rather cook that today but we just had pot roast on Tuesday & that would be too soon to have a repeat dinner (but oh boy was it ever awesome!)

Need ideas please.....

Good idea but also had beef stew this week! I just buy the stewing beef so I don't have to cut it up. I get so grossed out by handling raw meat. Believe it or not, I wear plastic gloves anytime I have to handle any meat in it's raw stage. :blush:

I like to make Italian beef with a roast. I add some onion, pepperoncini peppers, a packet or two of Italian salad dressing mix, then cover in beef broth. Cook all day, shred, and serve on a nice roll.

My suggestion is similar: I have cooked it in a crock pot all day, shredded it, put it back in the crock pot with (your choice of) bar-b-que sauce and served it on buns. A side salad or crunchy veggies (carrots, etc) are good also.

Beef noodle or rice soup? I like to add V-8 juice for extra flavor
Beef pot pie?
shredded beef over mashed potatoes?
barbeque shredded beef(in crock pot)?

Jean

OMG! You all have me drooling!! I'm so boring....couldn't think of any other way then a pot roast! :blush:

Shredded beef taco's (I do this with chicken as well)....I do shredded beef BBQ as well.

Here's a recipe that my family and coworkers love. You can use a combination of chuck and pork loin, or go with all chuck. That's what I do when I find chuck roast on sale. Enjoy!

Mama C's Beef and Pork Barbecue

1 1/2 lb. beef stew meat (I buy a chuck roast and cut it up)
1 1/2 lb. pork loin roast (cut into bite size pieces)
2 c. finely chopped onion
2 c. finely chopped green pepper
1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
2 t. salt
1 t. dry mustard
3 t. chili powder
1/4 c. vinegar
2 t. Worcestershire sauce
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste

In slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cook one hour on high. Reduce heat to low and cook for 7 to 9 hours until meat is tender. Shred meat and serve on buns, with or without coleslaw. (I have been known to use all beef when I run into a sale on chuck roast, and it turns out just as good.) I always double this recipe and it fits nicely in a 6-qt. Nesco. Enjoy!!

I no longer cut up the roast for stew or do I buy stew meat. 1 night we'll have the roast carrots taters onions mushrooms etc all cooked together always have leftovers.

The leftovers 1st tear the meat up into bite sized pieces put them in bottom of pan keeps the meat moister this way then dump the veggies and any broth I have left from the roast into pan. When I heat the stew is when I stir the meat and veggies together. We like this more than stew cooked that day seems to have the stew a couple days later after the flavors has blended in fridge a couple days is all the better. And it's another quick easy meal. salad and maybe a roll or biscuit rounds out the meal.

my mom used to take a chuck roast and put it in the crock pot...add ketchup let cook...dont remember what she called it tho...

DisneyTeacher said:
I like to make Italian beef with a roast. I add some onion, pepperoncini peppers, a packet or two of Italian salad dressing mix, then cover in beef broth. Cook all day, shred, and serve on a nice roll.

I did this on Monday and boy was it yummy. My dh ate 3 sandwiches he liked it so much. Reminds me of the italian beef sandwiches you can get in Chicago.

Remember when buyin roasts not only chuck roasts most stores will grind that meat up into hamburger for you at no charge. Often it is cheaper to buy a chuck roast on sale have it ground up into ground chuck than it is to buy ground chuck. Also adds to the options of what can be done with it but you got to do it before leaving the store. usually they will put it in what ever size packages you want when they grind it up as well.

mtblujeans said:
My suggestion is similar: I have cooked it in a crock pot all day, shredded it, put it back in the crock pot with (your choice of) bar-b-que sauce and served it on buns. A side salad or crunchy veggies (carrots, etc) are good also.

I second this! Just had this the other day and made it with vidalia onion barbeque sauce- yum! I may have this tonight. So simple, yet so delicious! My parents were over for dinner that night and raved about it. My family loved it too! :goodvibes

Another favorite that my family loves (even the young ones!).

Hungarian Goulash

1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 onions, sliced
2 tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt

1. Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook onions in oil until soft, stirring frequently. Remove onions and set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, combine paprika, 2 teaspoons salt and pepper. Coat beef cubes in spice mixture, and cook in onion pot until brown on all sides. Return the onions to the pot, and pour in tomato paste, water, garlic and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until meat is tender.

Either recipe is awesome. I've made them both many times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!