What DON’T you love about the POLY?

Leigh123

DIS Veteran
So I’m not normally a negative type poster, but I feel like I need to stay at the Polynesian even though something keeps holding me back. We are AP holders and take 2 to 3 trips a year alternating between Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Beach Club. Every trip I almost bookthe Polynesian but something holds me back and I’m not sure what it is. I know lots of reasons people love it soI would really like to hear some reasons you may not like it to help me make my decision. I should say we are two adults no children and spend an equal amount of time at all four parks. Thanks in advance for your information.

We’ve stayed twice. It’s got a lot going for it, but some of the negatives for me:
- it’s always so busy and loud. There are so many guests that are not staying at the Poly that come to eat, shop, take a break in the lobby and look around. It’s not a big resort and it does get overwhelmed sometimes. This is the biggest negative IMHO. None of the peacefulness of WL or AKL.

- The volcano pool area is rather small for the number of guests. The chairs are placed right next to each other and often it’s hard to find one. I don’t think they do enough to deter outside guests from using the pool.

- It lacks a true signature restaurant, but in all fairness, it’s easy enough to get to CR and GF for a true signature meal.

- Buses takes a while to get to AK, DHS. Shares buses (mostly with GF). Monorail has run in the past on more limited hours/schedule.

- Rooms are showing their age. I really wish they would be fab and would transport me somewhere else, but they don’t.

- Separate, self-standing buildings means that when it rains or it’s hot, you are walking outside to get to your room.

-Cost. Comparing standard rooms, only GF’s are more expensive.

Thanks so very much. Moderator I am sorry I put this on the wrong board. I res-posted on the resorts board.

I love the Poly! What keeps me from staying there is my husband.. who says you just can't beat the Contemporary! I do agree about the perhaps walking outside to get to your room?

I love that hotel! good luck!
Jen

Never stayed at the Poly but anytime I've thought of it I end up elsewhere - I don't think it has anything going for it over other resorts unless you adore the theming (which is a fine reason). For monorail resorts if you want luxe the GF fills that bill nicely and the CR has the same level (or perhaps nicer) rooms as the Poly along with similar dining and shopping. There's also a fair amount of walking outside at the GF to get to the main building so they're kinda similar on that. However the big draw for the CR is the ability to walk to the MK - which can't be beat.

I echo most of what @vinotinto said, but add that the buildings show their age. I was their pre refurb so the rooms have improved some since then, but the hallways/foyers/elevators seem old.

I enjoyed staying there a bunch, enough so that I booked another trip staying there right after returning home. The only downsides I felt were:

- It's much easier to get to MK from the Contemporary/BLT, so you have to plan a little extra time to travel there
- The lobby is very, very crowded. One night when it rained, the line for the monorail ran the entire length of the second floor, back to the Ohana check in desk. It would drive me crazy if I ever had to wait in a line like that. Luckily, we were able to just walk to the TT center.
- Ohana seems to be falling in terms of its popularity. Reviews seem to be more negative than positive lately. Personally, I can see why
- Captain Cook's is on the smaller side of the quick service food options. The meal I had there was very, very good though.
- The buildings are pretty spread apart. It's a very pleasant walk, but could be a little bit of a pain in the rain.

I'm sure I could write a similar sized list of negatives for any resort. I could also easily write a list of positives that outnumber the negatives list.
If I were paying cash for a room, personally I wouldn't go again. I find it hard to justify spending $500-600 for anywhere at Disney when you can pay $200 for just a slightly smaller and less convenient room. Renting or using DVC points, though, makes staying there certainly worthwhile, though.

We’ve stayed twice. It’s got a lot going for it, but some of the negatives for me:
- it’s always so busy and loud. There are so many guests that are not staying at the Poly that come to eat, shop, take a break in the lobby and look around. It’s not a big resort and it does get overwhelmed sometimes. This is the biggest negative IMHO. None of the peacefulness of WL or AKL.

- The volcano pool area is rather small for the number of guests. The chairs are placed right next to each other and often it’s hard to find one. I don’t think they do enough to deter outside guests from using the pool.

- It lacks a true signature restaurant, but in all fairness, it’s easy enough to get to CR and GF for a true signature meal.

- Buses takes a while to get to AK, DHS. Shares buses (mostly with GF). Monorail has run in the past on more limited hours/schedule.

- Rooms are showing their age. I really wish they would be fab and would transport me somewhere else, but they don’t.

- Separate, self-standing buildings means that when it rains or it’s hot, you are walking outside to get to your room.

-Cost. Comparing standard rooms, only GF’s are more expensive.

I agree with much of the above. Because we normally go in August, the biggest issue I had was with the pool area. The resort does not do much (nothing actually) about outside guests using the pool. They could learn from the folks over at the YC/BC and place CM's at the pool gates checking bands.

I love to visit the poly I do not like to stay there. We usually stay at the grand and walk over to enjoy the polynesian.

I really dislike how chaotic the 2nd floor of the lobby is. It is always crazy up there with people waiting for Ohana's and then there is a line for people to check in and also see for a stand by reservation. I think it takes away from the tranquil nice of the resort. I also need quiet and zen after the craziness of the parks and the pool is crowded with kids. There are many spots you can slip away at at the poly for piece and quiet but the main areas are def hectic.

Also no signature dining on site.

Just returned yesterday from our first stay at the Poly and we absolutely loved everything about it!!!

So I’m not normally a negative type poster, but I feel like I need to stay at the Polynesian even though something keeps holding me back. We are AP holders and take 2 to 3 trips a year alternating between Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Beach Club. Every trip I almost bookthe Polynesian but something holds me back and I’m not sure what it is. I know lots of reasons people love it soI would really like to hear some reasons you may not like it to help me make my decision. I should say we are two adults no children and spend an equal amount of time at all four parks. Thanks in advance for your information.
  • I don't like how crowded the feature pool is. (But I like the feature pool.)
  • I don't like how busy the lobby is. (But I like the plants & water features outside the lobby.)
  • I don't like using shared bus service to get to DHS or AK. (But I love taking the monorail to MK or EP.)
  • I don't like how hard it can be to get a ressie for Ohana. (But I like Ohana.)
  • I don't like the theming of its resort rooms. (But I love the theming of its DVC rooms.)
  • I don't like the price. (I really don't like the price.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter