• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What does USF do for Christmas?

UKDEB

Moderator Emeritus
OK, so I've booked my MVMCP tickets, but I'm wondering what Universal does at either of the parks? I'll be there 14 - 22 December.

Hi UKDEB,

My family was there last December and we did MVMCP and Universal/IOA.
IOA really goes all out for the holidays! They transform Suess Landing into Whoville Whobilation! Hoping they do the same this year as well. They had Grinchmas...a 3 act live show through out the day. Mt Crumpit snow plummet ( a really cool icy slide) and the decorations are beautiful. It snows and they play christmas carols. The Grinch was there as well.
Portofino Hotel had a great "how the grinch stole christmas" show. I am sure Hard Rock will do something this year too! Universal Studios had props and costumes from the Grinch movie as well as some beautiful decorations and trees. Make sure you get over to Portofino to take some pictures of that gorgeous tree! If I remember anything else I will post again. Its a great time to be in the parks!:pinkbounc

Here is a pic!

grinch2.jpg

Great picture!!

I sure hope it's the same this year. We couldn't get very close to the Grinch last year...he was very popular!

:D

I hope it is the same as last year too! As far as seeing the Grinch minus the lines consider checking out Portofino and catching the story-telling of How the grinch stole christmas. The Grinch shows up at the end and stays quite a while handing out candy canes and posing for pictures. That was a highlight for us last year!:)

Do you know how you can find out when that takes place at the Portofino? We'll be staying at the HRH and wouldn't know when to head over there....were you staying at the Portofino and that's how you knew?

Thanks!

Yes we stayed at Portofino and were given the info at check in. But I also have last years IOA Guide titled Grinchmas that I imagine is handed out at the parks during that time and it is also listed in there. As the time gets closer give both hotels a call and see what they are both doing in celebration for the holidays and see if the Grinch will make a repeat showing of last year! Good Luck tracking down the grinchy one!:D

Hi all,

I'm curious as to what "MVMCP" stands for? We have a HRH Kids Suite for December 26-30 and want to find out about special holiday events that we might need tickets/reservations for. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Originally posted by Magic_Believer
Hi all,

I'm curious as to what "MVMCP" stands for?

That is a Disney World Event.

Mickey's Very Marry Christmas Party

Compared to wdw their is little x-mas atmosphere/decorations at universal studios IMHO. Their was a show in the Dr. Suess part of IOA but that was all and even their its done in a manner that makes its hard to see, out in the middle of Dr. Suess rather than in some type of setting where it would be easier to see and let you sit down and see it. Last year if you wanted a good picture with the Grinch you had to pay a special fee for it rather than for free which i felt was a rip off! But the show at the Portifino from what ive heard was great where it wasnt crowded you could get pictures of him and max and free cookies were handed out. From what i heard the Grinch did a narration of the grinch story near the x-mas tree. As for Universal studios it had very little x-mas theming at all and was quite a let down after having been at wdw for 6 days and seeing how they handled x-mas normally and with mvmcp/epcot processional.

MVMCP...This has been tradition in our family for many years. I do agree with Bob O that Disney's MVMCP really is spectacular. This is why last year when doing Universal parks we scheduled one night at MK for MVMCP. However even though we did this first then experienced IOA's and Universal's rendition of the holidays....we were in no way dissapointed. I wonder if us being there at the beginning of Dec instead of more towards christmas when the crowds are there things were different. We didnt have to pay a fee to see and get pictures of the Grinch...although we did do that as well because I really loved the scenery. Also the mini shows through out the day at IOA had seating. I felt they did an outstanding job of transforming Suessland into whoville. The decorations and characters were great! One thing that I really love at Universal is that many costumes arent costumes at all but incredible make-up jobs transforming the people into their character. We encountered so many characters dressed for the holidays from the Grinch movie it seemed everywhere we turned they were there. I loved how it snowed throughout the streets. I am adding an excerpt from my trip report about the reading at Portofino...

we arrived at the Piazza for the evening reading of the night before Christmas and the Grinch.
They had a large red carpet set out in front of a small stage. To the left were large baked cookies and chocolate and regular milk. Nice touch! A comfy chair with a reading lamp was center stage set right in front of an enormous Christmas tree decorated with poinsettias. It reminded me of the Grand Floridians tree. After everyone settled in a man that looked remarkably like Santa sat and started reading. He held the entire group captive with his reading. My husband stood off to the side and filmed the event and caught the kids expressions as they listened intently. When the stories were over the Grinch made a surprise appearance. He talked to the kids and then invited all that wanted to up on stage. He posed for pictures one at a time and never rushed a single child. He gave them each a grinchy candy cane as he called them. I got some beautiful pictures of the kids with the Grinch and the tree! If you ask my kids what was the highlight of their trip they will recollect this first! I myself considered this my greatest special memory.

This is a little off the subject,but what is the general weather for mid dec.in orlando.Can you have any pool time or is it too chilly?:) :) :)

We go every year usually first or second week in Dec. We have had different extremes. Last year was unusually warm low 80's so we were able to swim every day. One year we hit another unusual temp...30's!! Needless to say we needed our winter jackets. The mornings and evenings are usually cool with temps milder during the day. Plan and pack for anything! lol I think for the most part 70's was usual.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter