What do you think the crowds will be like ...

Safari23

Mouseketeer
the week of May 26-30?

I so desperately wanted to go this year in June, like we did last year. But we can't go until at least June 18th. And I fear it will be really busy because of SWGE. So I was looking at our schedules, and we could possibly go May 26-30. Will it still be busy, as some will go that week and use their last day of May 31 to go to see SWGE? Or do you think the end of June is the better bet? None of us care about SWGE. So we don't need to see it. That's why I'm thinking the May dates.

Also, when will the castle construction / revamp be done?

the week of May 26-30?

I so desperately wanted to go this year in June, like we did last year. But we can't go until at least June 18th. And I fear it will be really busy because of SWGE. So I was looking at our schedules, and we could possibly go May 26-30. Will it still be busy, as some will go that week and use their last day of May 31 to go to see SWGE? Or do you think the end of June is the better bet? None of us care about SWGE. So we don't need to see it. That's why I'm thinking the May dates.

Also, when will the castle construction / revamp be done?
DEFINITELY go May 26-30 over end of June. End of June will be insane. SWGE reservations will stop and a heck ton of people will flood the park going to SWGE. And don't expect them to just stay in SWGE, they'll flow into all areas of Disneyland. However, I think that May 26-30 will be relatively light! Most people are saving their trips until for SWGE opening and I doubt many will be using their last day of May 31 for SWGE. Most people will probably stay overnight on the 30th to go to SWGE on the 31st. Go for May 26-30.

I think it depends a little on when you say "at least June 18" - do you mean before or after June 23rd? From May 31 to June 23, guests will need a reservation to get into SW:GE. From the 24th onward, it's going to be a first-come-first-serve type of thing, so I do expect to see a huge surge in crowds at that point. Between 5/31 and 6/23, I think the crowds will be heavier than normal, but probably not insane because you'll need a reservation (either the free one or one that comes with a onsite hotel reservation) to get into SW:GE. There will probably be some extra guests that come hoping to get in or who do not know about the reservation. All that being said, if you can go prior to the opening of SW:GE, I do think you'll stand a better chance of having lower crowds in the park overall. I don't think the parks will be empty because you're still looking at Memorial Day weekend (a three day weekend for a lot of folks), so there is a "normal" surge in the crowds on holiday weekends.

I think it will be fairly busy until after Memorial Day, but I’m guessing there is a good chance it will be slower from May 28-30 as people wait for SWGE to open on May 31, unless of course there is a flood of non-Star Wars fans who want to sneak in a last trip before SWGE makes the parks super crowded for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Figment, sorry, yes I meant the earliest we could get there in June would be for June 18th. And are free anytime after that for the rest of the summer.

... when will the castle construction / revamp be done?
The castle is scheduled to return in its newly painted, refurbed glory on May 28th.

Figment, sorry, yes I meant the earliest we could get there in June would be for June 18th. And are free anytime after that for the rest of the summer.
There might be a big advantage to this: if you choose dates after June 23rd and before late August (i.e. before DLR goes to the non-peak schedule and before the lower AP blockout lifts), you'll have plenty of time to read all the news and updates on SWGE and how the parks are dealing with the crowds, the new crowd patterns, the tips and strategies for MP, etc. You won't be going in blind, but will be well prepared for what to expect and how to handle it. And you'll have the parks running on the peak schedule with longer hours, full staffing, full entertainment schedule, management and CMs prepped for the crowds, etc. That might not happen with your May dates -- the lower APs are still good for some of your May dates -- and the week before a major blockout can be pretty busy as pass holders try to cram in last visits. In July, the lower 3 passes are blocked from DL. (Of course, no one knows yet how the new pass will affect things.) Just some thoughts...

To echo what theluckyrabbit said, there are advantages and disadvantages to any of the date periods you've selected.
  • May 26-30: This is pre-SW:GE, so the crowds shouldn't be there due to that. However, it is a three day weekend (for part of it), so there will be crowds. This is typically the kick-off to the summer season, so the parks should be running with a full(ish) schedule starting the Friday of the weekend (subject to change). You will have a couple of Grad Nites to contend with during the weekdays.
  • June 18-23: This is post-SW:GE opening, but before the "no-reservation" begins. So while there will be crowds, it might still more resemble how things are "normally" at the start of summer. The parks will be on their summer schedule, and Disneyland Forever will have returned (opposed to Mickey's Mix Magic). Grad Nites will be over. I don't really know what it entails, but the Lion King Celebration over in DCA will have also started by then.
  • Jun 24 to Aug 18 (last day of the Deluxe AP blockout in DL): There will be crowds because SW:GE will be open to the public and it is summer. If you opt to go this route, I would aim for the later half of summer so that you have plenty of time to see how the crowds and strategies shake out due to SW:GE. If you go to close to the opening, there won't have been enough feedback to really get a sense of a good strategy.
After having typed this, personally, I think I would lean towards either the June 18-23 window or the late-summer window. I like Disneyland Forever more than Mickey's Mix Magic, I'm curious about the Lion King Celebration, and no Grad Nites would be the deciding factors for me if I wasn't interested in SW:GE.

It was VERY crowded last week as APs squeezed in their last open days. I expect that to continue until their blackouts occur.

Touring Plans was off by 4-5 points for most of last week.

Thanks theluckyrabbit and figment, that helps a lot. How do you know about the season pass holders? Is there somewhere online that shows their blackouts?

Thanks theluckyrabbit and figment, that helps a lot. How do you know about the season pass holders? Is there somewhere online that shows their blackouts?

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/

I heard many people talking while standing in the 45 MINUTE ENTRY LINE for DL. They mentioned it was much more crowded than normal as AP holders, the majority of who are on the Southern Cali Select plan, are squeezing in last minute visits before the 3 month blackout for Select AP holders starts on May 31st.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/

I heard many people talking while standing in the 45 MINUTE ENTRY LINE for DL. They mentioned it was much more crowded than normal as AP holders, the majority of who are on the Southern Cali Select plan, are squeezing in last minute visits before the 3 month blackout for Select AP holders starts on May 31st.
Dear Lord -- 45 minutes to enter?! And this was past security? We've never waited more than 15 minutes (well, unless we purposefully line up early for RD). I'm sorry you experienced DLR during such a congested time :scared:

Dear Lord -- 45 minutes to enter?! And this was past security? We've never waited more than 15 minutes (well, unless we purposefully line up early for RD). I'm sorry you experienced DLR during such a congested time :scared:

Yes security took under a minute then SLAM lines all the way to the center of the esplanade. What was most frustrating is Disney did not adjust to accommodate. Many lines had the second gate closed.

The castle is scheduled to return in its newly painted, refurbed glory on May 28th.

There might be a big advantage to this: if you choose dates after June 23rd and before late August (i.e. before DLR goes to the non-peak schedule and before the lower AP blockout lifts), you'll have plenty of time to read all the news and updates on SWGE and how the parks are dealing with the crowds, the new crowd patterns, the tips and strategies for MP, etc. You won't be going in blind, but will be well prepared for what to expect and how to handle it. And you'll have the parks running on the peak schedule with longer hours, full staffing, full entertainment schedule, management and CMs prepped for the crowds, etc. That might not happen with your May dates -- the lower APs are still good for some of your May dates -- and the week before a major blockout can be pretty busy as pass holders try to cram in last visits. In July, the lower 3 passes are blocked from DL. (Of course, no one knows yet how the new pass will affect things.) Just some thoughts...
This is going to be my strategy, going early/mid August because that’s the only time my daughter can get off work. I’ll be hoping to get lots of news and updates, tips, on how parks are handling SWGE. But going with low expectations on being able to get in.

To echo what theluckyrabbit said, there are advantages and disadvantages to any of the date periods you've selected.
  • May 26-30: This is pre-SW:GE, so the crowds shouldn't be there due to that. However, it is a three day weekend (for part of it), so there will be crowds. This is typically the kick-off to the summer season, so the parks should be running with a full(ish) schedule starting the Friday of the weekend (subject to change). You will have a couple of Grad Nites to contend with during the weekdays.
  • June 18-23: This is post-SW:GE opening, but before the "no-reservation" begins. So while there will be crowds, it might still more resemble how things are "normally" at the start of summer. The parks will be on their summer schedule, and Disneyland Forever will have returned (opposed to Mickey's Mix Magic). Grad Nites will be over. I don't really know what it entails, but the Lion King Celebration over in DCA will have also started by then.
  • Jun 24 to Aug 18 (last day of the Deluxe AP blockout in DL): There will be crowds because SW:GE will be open to the public and it is summer. If you opt to go this route, I would aim for the later half of summer so that you have plenty of time to see how the crowds and strategies shake out due to SW:GE. If you go to close to the opening, there won't have been enough feedback to really get a sense of a good strategy.
After having typed this, personally, I think I would lean towards either the June 18-23 window or the late-summer window. I like Disneyland Forever more than Mickey's Mix Magic, I'm curious about the Lion King Celebration, and no Grad Nites would be the deciding factors for me if I wasn't interested in SW:GE.
Oh no. We’re going Aug 11-17. At least there will be some time to read about how it’s going.

Oh no. We’re going Aug 11-17. At least there will be some time to read about how it’s going.
Your arrival date is CHOC Walk Sunday. If you will need to take care of anything at the ticket booths, try to do this the night before, if possible. Lines to the booths will be long on 8/11.

Your arrival date is CHOC Walk Sunday. If you will need to take care of anything at the ticket booths, try to do this the night before, if possible. Lines to the booths will be long on 8/11.
Ugh! We don’t have a park day planned for our arrival day. Was just going to have Hotel day (good neighbour hotel) wander around the area, and go to DTD. But we do have to go to ticket booth to exchange my daughters exp. ticket for a new one. She had just gotten a new job and had to back out of our Nov trip.
Maybe if we go to ticket booth later on Sunday? How late are they open? Until park close? Thanks for the info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!