What do you think of our itinerary?

oceanscape

DIS Veteran
Hi!

I'm new to these forums and I am really looking forward to finding out lots of helpful information for our trip to the West Coast next August. We've never been before, so I'm not sure if my draft itinerary below is realistic or not. It sounds like a lot of driving, but hopefuly the routes will be scenic and there will be lots of stops. I would really appreciate any advice!

Fly into LAX from London Heathrow (27th July 2007)

- Disneyland California - 4 nights

- Different Los Angeles hotel - 3 nights - (visiting Universal Studios/Knotts Berry Farm/Hollywood)

- Drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco - 4 nights - (stopping along the way - where??) - along the Pacific Highway

- San Francisco - 4 nights - then driving to Yosemite - 4 hours?

- Yosemite - 2 nights - then driving to Las Vegas - 4 hours?

- Las Vegas - 4 nights - with flight to Grand Canyon - then driving to Los Angeles - 4 hours?

Fly home from LAX

This Itenerary sounds great! I can only offer advice on one thing. I have lived all my life in southern California. I can honestly say that Knotts Berry Farm has really gone down hill over the last 5 or so years. It was sold by the Knotts Family a few years ago to an Carnival type amusement park company called Ceader Fare. It is poorl kept, the restrooms are filthy, and it just has a roller coaster park feel to it now. I would add another day at Universal, or Disneyland. I took my family there about a year ago and we swore that we would never go back. That is too bad because it used to be a really special place for us. Otherwise, the rest of your trip looks great. You will have a wonderful time. Good luck

dwelty said:
This Itenerary sounds great! I can only offer advice on one thing. I have lived all my life in southern California. I can honestly say that Knotts Berry Farm has really gone down hill over the last 5 or so years. It was sold by the Knotts Family a few years ago to an Carnival type amusement park company called Ceader Fare. It is poorl kept, the restrooms are filthy, and it just has a roller coaster park feel to it now. I would add another day at Universal, or Disneyland. I took my family there about a year ago and we swore that we would never go back. That is too bad because it used to be a really special place for us. Otherwise, the rest of your trip looks great. You will have a wonderful time. Good luck
Thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate it. Having time to see all of the attractions in LA wil be hard enough, without wasting a day visiting Knotts Berry Farm if it is as you describe. Apart from Universal Studios and Disney, are there any other "mustn't miss" attractions in or near to LA?

Thanks!

Hi,
I'm in the middle of planning a family trip to CA next summer as well. My best resource has been the book "California for Dummies". It goes through each area of the state with things to do, hotel and dining advice, etc. It also gives driving times and great helpful tips. I got it from our library but I'm going to buy a copy to take with us. Another good source would be a trip report from one of your countrymen, Kevin Stringer. His reports are really funny and helpful too. His Aug. 2005 trip report goes all through CA.:
http://freespace.virgin.net/kevin.stringer/index.htm

The one thing I'd ask about your itinerary is, can you fly in to LA and fly out of San Francisco? That way you wouldn't have to double back to Las Vegas and it would save a lot of driving - but I know that may cost a lot more.

Have fun planning, and make your reservations soon. A hotel I was trying for in Monterey is already sold out for the mid week dates in June I wanted, and I know hotels by Yosemite book up fast too.

~Linda

Since one full day will be taken for the Grand Canyon, I would add a night to the Vegas part of the trip and subtract 1 day from the "up the coast to San Francisco" part.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!