What do you mean I'm going to Disney in December? A solo Christmas weekend for me! 11/10

suse66

When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true!
Hi everyone!!!
I can't really believe it but......
I'm going back to Disney
in 51 days
(but who's counting)
to do EVERYTHING Christmas!!!!
For those of you meeting me for the first time, I'm Susan! I'm a Disney loving 52 year old mom of three and full time kindergarten teacher. I am a huge Disney collector as well, especially Dooney and Bourke bags, Pandora charms and Disney Pins!! This pic basically sums up my feeling about being at Disney......
5946BB6A-04C0-4D46-8B64-AA0AA3D1BEA9.jpeg
I love family trips and solo trips equally but this particular weekend getaway is just me! I have two float days a year that I can use during the school year and when I found a super cheap plane ticket and a sweet Air Bnb rental, it just seemed to be meant to be! I was lucky enough to enjoy a gorgeous solo week at the Poly this summer and am busily planning a super special 20th anniversary trip for my DH and I next summer. But neither of those things were helping my severe case of PDD! There was only one cure and it involves hopping on a plane to my happy place!

So join with me as I plan a super magical, Christmas crazy, long weekend!!

Hi everyone!!!
I can't really believe it but......
I'm going back to Disney
in 51 days
(but who's counting)
to do EVERYTHING Christmas!!!!
For those of you meeting me for the first time, I'm Susan! I'm a Disney loving 52 year old mom of three and full time kindergarten teacher. I am a huge Disney collector as well, especially Dooney and Bourke bags, Pandora charms and Disney Pins!! This pic basically sums up my feeling about being at Disney......

I love family trips and solo trips equally but this particular weekend getaway is just me! I have two float days a year that I can use during the school year and when I found a super cheap plane ticket and a sweet Air Bnb rental, it just seemed to be meant to be! I was lucky enough to enjoy a gorgeous solo week at the Poly this summer and am busily planning a super special 20th anniversary trip for my DH and I next summer. But neither of those things were helping my severe case of PDD! There was only one cure and it involves hopping on a plane to my happy place!

So join with me as I plan a super magical, Christmas crazy, long weekend!!

51 days for us too! Have fun planning!

An accommodation update!

When I booked this trip a week ago, I had found a super cute tiny house though Air BnB, about 15 minutes away from Disney. I would totally stay there if I had someone travelling with me but I was starting to feel nervous about returning to the house late at night on my own. I am generally fine being out and about but it's my first foray off property and I was thinking I would feel more comfortable in a hotel atmosphere.

So I headed to Priceline and perused the list of hotels in the Maingate West area. I had remembered @pepperandchips mentioning a great rate she got for a stay at Towneplace Suites and decided to see if I could snag a similar deal. After reading the details for the hotel, I headed over to the express deals section to see if I could find a matching description. I saw one that seemed to be word for word matching Towneplace for a rate of $77/night. Plus I had an additional 5% off with a groupon deal. I made the reservation and SUCCESS!! It was confirmed for Towneplace Suites at Flamingo Crossing, located at the west gate, only 2 miles from Animal Kingdom. It includes free breakfast, free parking and free internet. Hurray!!

Stay tuned for my Day 1 plans!

Oh my gosh yay! It was so nice for that great low rate we enjoyed! I will post a few pics if you don’t mind :teeth: gotta resize though first. And thank you for the tag so that I could find your report!!!

10B59341-8D29-4F67-95A8-2BF57847227B.jpeg

Mickey Waffles available at breakfast (we preferred making coffee and bagels in our room - but the spread looked good!)

233BBFCC-0919-4236-9A28-35967864177F.jpeg

The pool bar was great and drinks were reasonable. They have a similar cocojito to what the Disney pool bars have!

4EF130DB-C7E3-4DE7-AA09-EC170B445F51.jpeg

Some photos of the pool area

1EE6C260-D126-4D97-957D-28285720CADE.jpeg

8EF39D25-E6DD-454C-9F6D-2B0C77E3F489.jpeg

The pool was nice and not crowded at all. Lots of kids around 4:30 or so when families came back from the park but there were plenty of loungers at all times!

08DC3564-77BC-4D5F-90D2-47F56707C002.jpeg

I snapped this for my mom as she asked about the hair dryer situation

F234584A-C689-4CD1-87E3-9B9CC4FEC1B5.jpeg

Full size coffee pot - takes basket style filters. Loved bringing our own coffee to enjoy!

877F405E-A1F0-46C1-BE2E-EE54B98E895C.jpeg

The room we were assigned was 106 - a king standard suite on the first floor. Very convenient to a side door. Room was perfect for us, laid out well and very clean! We loved the full size fridge and freezer and the use of the closet space that was accessible from both the kitchenette as well as the bathroom so there was plenty of room to store luggage, grocery bags, and hang clothes. The bed was very comfy!

F37C8688-5D97-41F5-9EAB-517922A13C48.jpeg

Looking at the desk and couch from the bed

D815B055-65E2-4212-844A-B0814915ACEC.jpeg

7B0A1EB7-6264-4DC8-A987-239A956F77B9.jpeg

7E5B65C9-EE82-4EA2-A76D-8AF20A9360AA.jpeg

F5E9E1A6-BDC6-4C0A-9FA1-1F59CB4C5F1D.jpeg

First day plans!!
You know I have to start the trip off at Magic Kingdom, if only to see that gorgeous Christmas tree on Main Street USA!
magic-3.jpg

I am so excited for this!! I'd also like to catch the Christmas version of the Main Street Trolley show and soak up all the Christmas spirit on Main Street USA. I'm thinking I may hop to Hollywood Studios next before heading over along the path to do a little resort hopping.

First up is the Boardwalk to see the gorgeous mantle in the lobby.....
BLF7207773-Edit.jpg

By now, I know I'll be ready to head to Ample Hills for some super yummy ice cream.

I can't wait to check out the Beach Club carousel.....
DLF7207622-Edit.jpg

And of course the gorgeous lobby of the Yacht Club......
Disneys-Yacht-Club-Resort_Full_9090.jpg

After taking in all the gorgeousness of the resorts I am heading next to Epcot! Plans for today include an ADR at Rose and Crown for the Candlelight Processional Package at 4:05 pm. My show time is 8:15 so I plan to hang out in World Showcase and take in the pavilions all decorated for Christmas! I am so looking forward to taking in the cultural storytellers and getting a head ups on the Holiday kitchens I plan on checking out on Monday. Of course my finale for the evening will be Illuminations with the holiday ending.

Any other suggestions of Christmas must-do's??

Hi Susan! I'm so happy you're getting to go see Disney at Christmas! We haven't ever been in Dec. but get pretty much the full effect by going in late Nov. I think in your first day you're covering everything I love about it lol! The storytellers are wonderful and I never miss touring the deluxe resorts to see the decorations.

I'd also like to catch the Christmas version of the Main Street Trolley show
I have finally seen the Trolley Show in every season :worship: Caught them in their fall costumes last month!

Looking forward to the rest of your plans :)

Hi Susan! I'm so happy you're getting to go see Disney at Christmas! We haven't ever been in Dec. but get pretty much the full effect by going in late Nov. I think in your first day you're covering everything I love about it lol! The storytellers are wonderful and I never miss touring the deluxe resorts to see the decorations.

I have finally seen the Trolley Show in every season :worship: Caught them in their fall costumes last month!

Looking forward to the rest of your plans :)
Thanks Ariane! I am so excited for this trip although not being able to make FP's in making me a bit nervous. I wish I could get them done but will just have to be patient for another 2 weeks.

I am so ready for this trip! :)

Time for an open to close Day 2!!
I am starting the day at Animal Kingdom to take in all the Christmas decor. I hope to have FPs for Navi River, EE and Nemo. The trouble with staying offsite is the 30 day window so I hope I am successful in getting what I want. I also really want to do the Caring for Giants tour. I am debating between Flame Tree for the pulled pork french fries or Eight Spoon cafe for the Mac'n'cheese. Next up is a trip over to AKL to see their beautiful tree and sample the Peanut Butter brownie from the Mara.
dakl3.jpg

I can't wait to see this in person!! After enjoying a browse around AKL, I plan to head over to Wilderness Lodge. I am doing a progressive lounge dinner tonight so will park my car at the TTC and head over to WL via boat. I am dying to try the Mushroom soup along with a lovely Oregon white wine at Territory Lounge. I am so excited to see their gorgeous tree as well!
wilderness1.jpg

Then it's time to hop on the boat back to the Contemporary to check out their decor and pick up the monorail to head to the Grand Floridian! My plan here is to head to Minzers for the gorgeous Banana Chocolate torte and a fancy cocktail. Of course I need to see the life size Gingerbread house and take in all the Christmas beauty of the Grand.
Grand-Floridian-Gingerbread-House-2014-2-001.jpg

Then I will head along the path to the Poly and finally hop on the launch back to the MK for HEA and the lighting of the castle. I mean, who doesn't want to see this???
Cinderella-Castle-Dream-Lights-at-Magic-Kingdom-in-Walt-Disney-World-2012-3.jpg

Day 2 plans complete!

OMG I want to be with you for Day 2!!
Let me say I totally get the "stress" of 30 day FP, but it's not always as bad as you think :) I've had to do them for off-site clients and while the headliners like 7dmt, fop, SDD aren't there, your AK choices should be fine :thumbsup2
Have I told you I've never seen the tree at WL? Even being my favorite resort and having been for two Thanksgivings!! But I made it a must-do for next month and now we're at WL our last 3 nights so I'll finally be able to sit and stare at its glory :cloud9:

I am debating between Flame Tree for the pulled pork french fries or Eight Spoon cafe for the Mac'n'cheese.
Love the pulled pork fries at Flame Tree! I wanted to try the mac n' cheese at Eight Spoon, but it didn't work out on our last trip. Maybe next time

OMG I want to be with you for Day 2!!
Let me say I totally get the "stress" of 30 day FP, but it's not always as bad as you think :) I've had to do them for off-site clients and while the headliners like 7dmt, fop, SDD aren't there, your AK choices should be fine :thumbsup2
Have I told you I've never seen the tree at WL? Even being my favorite resort and having been for two Thanksgivings!! But I made it a must-do for next month and now we're at WL our last 3 nights so I'll finally be able to sit and stare at its glory :cloud9:
Just extend your trip by a few days and you can hang out with me.....Lol!!!! Thanks for the reassurance on the FPs....I am still a bit nervous but really I am focusing on all the Christmas stuff so attractions are really secondary. Wow, I can't beleive you haven't seen the tree at WL! Then it will be extra special when you are staying there in November! I am sure you are getting excited for your trip! :)

Love the pulled pork fries at Flame Tree! I wanted to try the mac n' cheese at Eight Spoon, but it didn't work out on our last trip. Maybe next time
I can't wait to try them, it was way too hot in August for heavy food like that but it should be perfect in December.

A brunch and party day!

First up on my list today is the Brunch at Trail's End. Mmmmm......pulled pork eggs benny, waffles, bread pudding.... they are going to have to roll me out of there!
images
images

Any day that I start off with Mickey waffles is going to be a good day, right???

Next up a trip to Disney Springs to check out the Christmas Tree Trail and do a little shopping......
disney-springs-tree-trail-11102017-8.jpg

Depending on the weather, I have a few options up my sleeve. If it is super warm, I may hop to Typhoon Lagoon to play in the lazy river and wave pool. If it isn't so warm, I may continue my shopping spree by heading over to the Character Warehouse to see what they have on offer.

Whatever option I choose, I want to be back at Magic Kingdom by 6:00 at the latest as tonight is Party Night!!! It's time for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and I am very excited to go see it all. The parade, the fireworks, snow falling on Main St USA......what more could a girl ask for??
santa-wide-arms.jpg

I lucked into a perfect Santa Mickey sweatshirt so will be rocking it for the party night.
6000199105891.jpg
I know the party will be amazing and I am so looking forward to another awesome Disney day!

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-30_20-9-9.jpeg
    upload_2018-10-30_20-9-9.jpeg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1
FPs selected!!!
I had to wait until 30 days out and do each day one at a time but I didn't do too badly. This is what I have so far......

Nov 30th: EP ~ LwTL at 5:05 pm, Frozen Ever After at 6:30, Candlelight Processional at 8:15, SE at 9:30.

Dec 1: AK ~ EE at 10:10, Nemo at 11:30, Navi at 4:25 (I am trying to move this one up).

Dec 2: MK ~ Jungle Cruise at 2:40, HM at 4:10, BTMR at 5:10, MVMCP!!!!!!!!

Dec 3: MK ~ Pirates at 9:20, PPF at 7:25 ( trying to move this as well as I will be at MCO by then :( )

25 days to go!!!

Deleted due to error in post.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter